69project
14 years ago

How about a pre67vw meet schedualed some time during the year to make up for the few and far between vintage shows. Kind of a club meet.
It could be at a pub that does nice food in a nice location.... Kind of like our own little 'Lavenham'8)

harveypj wrote:

this would certainly make sense,location location location????
Car less.....
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago

How about a pre67vw meet schedualed some time during the year to make up for the few and far between vintage shows. Kind of a club meet.
It could be at a pub that does nice food in a nice location.... Kind of like our own little 'Lavenham'8)

harveypj wrote:

Although I like the idea, I think people are just too far spread out to get together for something small like this - unless it's done maybe on the Saturday before a show and in it's vicinity? Would be cool then to drive a little convoy to the show?

Damn, I really need a car on the road for this season :roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
69project
14 years ago

Although I like the idea, I think people are just too far spread out to get together for something small like this - unless it's done maybe on the Saturday before a show and in it's vicinity? Would be cool then to drive a little convoy to the show?

Damn, I really need a car on the road for this season :roll:

pre67vw wrote:

well me and pete travelled the 100 plus miles to stanford hall and im sure others did and maybe would if we sorted a date,athough i realise that we are all over the place

maybe if we all have a think about it and suggest some dates and places
Car less.....
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

If you're new to the hobby then I can understand your position, but if you've been to Stanford Hall before then it should be very apparent what the ethos of the show is - especially the historic display so it doesn't really matter if your wheels are genuine or not. To me, it was a shame that the one car sneaked in with alloys.

It's great that you're going to put the car back to stock height for Hessisch (on stock wheels as well I hope?), shows respect to the organisers in my opinion and I'm sure in that environment far more people will appreciate your car in that guise.

The first time I met Keith was at the Classic Car show at the NEC, very nice bloke and easy to chat to. Didn't get to talk to him at Stanford though, he was busy and did look as though he was in a bit of pain.

pre67vw wrote:

I think Rich's car is great. I personally wouldn't have lowered it, fitted the wheels etc, but at the end of the day, he's preserved it, and done what he wants to it (it's his car after all!). However, as a few people have already said, the HVWOC line-up at Stanford Hall is a proper buffer's zone and has always been so. It's the only regular opportunity in the UK to get a bunch of un-modified pre-'57 Beetles together in the same place.

As for Keith Vipond's reaction, I have only met the guy once (in about 1998). I happened to be driving past his house (in a Vauxhall Vectra) and spotted him cleaning his Oval on the drive. I stopped to introduce myself as I knew his name and car very well. I introduced myself to him and explained that I admired his car and also owned an Oval and a '61 Beetle. He seemed less than interested. Maybe I also caught him on a bad day, but they say that first impressions last....
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Richard
14 years ago
Thanks Rich 🙂
mrsherbie
14 years ago

I happened to be driving past his house (in a Vauxhall Vectra) and spotted him cleaning his Oval on the drive. I stopped to introduce myself as I knew his name and car very well. I introduced myself to him and explained that I admired his car and also owned an Oval and a '61 Beetle. He seemed less than interested. Maybe I also caught him on a bad day, but they say that first impressions last....

Rich Oakley wrote:

But you know, almost every time I have a car out on the drive at my house in Fareham which is in a town central road, some numpty walks by and wants to stop and chat, you know the one " oh I like these cars etc etc" :lol: I bloody hate them! :lol:

Pretty much exactly the same thing happened last year with the green split on the cover of Ultra this month, being refused into the stock lineup so he parked it outdside the gate in obvious defiance, and I have to say, I admire Keith sticking to his guns and the rules. My car does'nt have stock paint :shock: and if he had told me I could'nt be in the display, I would have respected his far superior knowledge and unpaid job as display co-ordinator and simply found another spot :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
69project
14 years ago
come live in essex,they are only interested in fords so you get no hassle!
Car less.....
Richard
14 years ago

Pretty much exactly the same thing happened last year with the green split on the cover of Ultra this month, being refused into the stock lineup so he parked it outdside the gate in obvious defiance

mrsherbie wrote:

I was told my Keith to park just outside the gate/display (which annoyed the SSVC) and presume Bobby was told the same last year.

I've seen modified (lowered all round) Ovals in the display before, which is what gets me - either let all lowered cars in or non at all, and if the decision is non at all, then let people know before hand.
48REME
14 years ago

Here are some Stanford Hall photos , what a great show - good to catch up with a few people and to see Nicolas' car in it's new paint (looked fantastic)

pre67vw wrote:

Thanks Rob and it was nice to see you again too. I thought it was a lovely day despite the cold wind. Nice to see all the great cars on display and I was particularly glad to finally see 8778UB, Robert's beautiful 1960 RHD Standard in the flesh (and nice to meet Robert too!)
Our two cars are of the same species but at different opposites of the Standard spectrum!
What a shame that a few familiar faces couldn't make it.
I am surprised to read about Keith Vipond. I think he's such a nice, helpful person. It's quite clear that Stanford Hall is and has always been a 'classic' show for original, unmodified models only, be it a Beetle,a Golf, a 411 or a Passat. I am surprised that so many slammed rusty-look vans were still filling up the type 2 display though.
Pete, it was also nice to meet you and drive home behind you in your stunning metallic blue 58. It looks so sweet along the country lanes and villages...almost like something out of a Miss Marple mystery.:d
mrsherbie
14 years ago

I was told my Keith to park just outside the gate/display (which annoyed the SSVC) and presume Bobby was told the same last year.

Richard wrote:

I dont know at all I was only guessing! because outside the gates is not an area designated for an odd beetle or 2 who want to just park where-ever they fancy on the day, the space belongs to another pre-organised display group, so I assumed parking in that spot was taking the pi.. mickey, because that is exactly how it looked! I imagine he really could'nt care less where you parked so long as it was outside the gates, as he had better things to do.
But I have to be honest, you must be able to see how your car and his just do not fit in with the other cars in that display? Its no different to someone with a stock height car wanting to park slap bang in the middle of a perfectly orchestrated Restowagen club lineup at a show like Volksworld!
RockStock
14 years ago
surely the world & his dog know a lowered VW at Stanford Hall (show area) is as welcome as a fart at a funeral - & not just by the organisers. just accept it with grace & move on.
top show, again. thanks
StockRocks
VW Stan
14 years ago
If you read the bit on the Stanford Hall VW Show website about the Historic display, It doesn't actually mention it's aimed at un-modified beetles only.

It says:

The only two conditions to free entry are that:

1) you park with the rest of the display and
2) You must book in advance using the booking form

We regret that those who do not pre-book and obtain a display pass will have to pay the normal entry fee on the day. Don't worry if your car isn't in pristine condition, we'd like to see "daily drivers" and restoration projects as well as Concours examples.

It doesn't mention anything about modifications on the downloadable form either!

The only place it says anything is in the bit about the concourse - 'custom cars are discouraged'

Also, If you look at the 'club displays' section on the Historic VW club website and their booking form, there's nothing about 'stock only mentioned there'

They have always let a few modified vehicles into the various line-ups at their own show too.

I think if they are now going to be stricter about what's allowed, they need to do a little 're-wording' and let everyone know!

:wink:

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
tofufi
14 years ago
Does anyone know who won the concourse events?

I had to leave before the announcement.
Richard
14 years ago

surely the world & his dog know a lowered VW at Stanford Hall (show area) is as welcome as a fart at a funeral - & not just by the organisers. just accept it with grace & move on.

RockStock wrote:

I except that, but that doesn't give someone the right to talk to me the way Keith did, just because my car is lowered.
If they let some lowered cars in, they've got to expect other to try, if they don't want lowered cars they should make it clear before hand. I looked before entering & I could find nothing to say lowered cars are not allowed. It is a daily driver & a restoration project after all :roll:
RoRoVw
14 years ago

If you read the bit on the Stanford Hall VW Show website about the Historic display, It doesn't actually mention it's aimed at un-modified beetles only.

It says:

The only two conditions to free entry are that:

1) you park with the rest of the display and
2) You must book in advance using the booking form

We regret that those who do not pre-book and obtain a display pass will have to pay the normal entry fee on the day. Don't worry if your car isn't in pristine condition, we'd like to see "daily drivers" and restoration projects as well as Concours examples.

It doesn't mention anything about modifications on the downloadable form either!

The only place it says anything is in the bit about the concourse - 'custom cars are discouraged'

Also, If you look at the 'club displays' section on the Historic VW club website and their booking form, there's nothing about 'stock only mentioned there'

They have always let a few modified vehicles into the various line-ups at their own show too.

I think if they are now going to be stricter about what's allowed, they need to do a little 're-wording' and let everyone know!

:wink:

VW Stan wrote:

I will mention the wording issue to Keith and see if it can be made clearer for next year.
RoRoVw
14 years ago

Does anyone know who won the concourse events?

I had to leave before the announcement.

tofufi wrote:

First in Class 1 was: RSY 431 (Brown 1953 sunroof deluxe)
Second was: TKK 144 (Black 1954 deluxe)

The cabrio class was won by OCJ 730 (Iris Blue 1956)
tofufi
14 years ago

First in Class 1 was: RSY 431 (Brown 1954/55? sunroof deluxe)
Second was: TKK 144 (Black 1954 deluxe)

The cabrio class was won by OCJ 730 (Iris Blue 1956)

RoRoVw wrote:

I don't suppose you know the winner of the '58 to '67 class?
mrsherbie
14 years ago

If you read the bit on the Stanford Hall VW Show website about the Historic display, It doesn't actually mention it's aimed at un-modified beetles only

VW Stan wrote:

Yes I agree, and I am surprised too, I have read it plenty of times and never felt the need to knit picked to that extent, or look for loopholes to exploit! :lol: Loopholes can be found in almost anything if you look hard enough. A display co-ordinator is'nt a lawyer and should'nt need to be! :roll:

Because, lets be blatantly honest now, if you own a split window beetle and are planning to attend Stanford Hall as part of a 'historic' display ( by the way, lowered and narrowed beams are by no means 'historic' or original while arguably Fuchs having come from a 67- 911 and being in their original untampered state could be seen as being so in my book but thats another story :lol: )

There is no way that you dont know the deal with the displays. Otherwise how would you know that you wanted to be part of it! eh? eh?

Lets just stop with the ridiculous petty arguing. The show shoe either fits or it does'nt ! :lol:

In fact Rock Stock put it better than me, and with far less words too! :lol: :beer:

btw. RSY is a '53 :wink:
crazydaze
14 years ago
I really wanted to make Stanford this year but family commitments came first (and will do for the next few years).

As Stanford is known as THE annual Vintage concours I would'nt have dreamed of putting/trying to put my car in the main show, pre-booked or not, I simply respect what the show is about - STOCK cars. If I remember right, Stanford traditionaly upsets a few people after every show when 'modified' cars try to get in the concours/display's (and personally I think they spoil the classes/line-ups). The times that I have been, I have enjoyed all the stock stuff and the show for what it is.

As for the SSVC line-up, is'nt it in conjunction with their AGM??? either way the 'get as many vans in no matter what the quality' swamps that end of the showground and in my opinion spoils the show a little but hey we can't all be happy?

Loving the pics of what was there, maybe, just maybe I can make it next year. Well done everyone that went and made it the great day it appeared to be, certainly seems like alot of positive feedback on the forums etc :d

Always makes me a chuckle a little to think that some of the 'rat look'owners - or whatever they like to be called - get upset at a show, a look designed to ruffle feathers, get a reaction, pi$$ the purists/concours crowd off with a anti-establishment message, then they get upset when they get the reaction they want, trying to get into the main 'show' classes/displays etc :lol:

Rich you know your welcome to park up with your mates in the RW line-ups, indeed, you stock guy's wanna join us you can too - it would'nt be the first time a stocker joined us I assure you! :wink: inclusive is what RW are about, making friends and sharing a common interest in classic VW's.

Alex.
RockStock
14 years ago
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
StockRocks