pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
13 years ago
https://suchen.mobile.de 

!!sT(yy!EW0~$(KGrHqN,!hMEv1+0Fe45BMENfm8IU!~~_27.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  !!sT(zHg!m0~$(KGrHqZ,!i!Ev1+0FcF2BMENfq7KyQ~~_27.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  !!sT(0P!BW0~$(KGrHqV,!isEv1+0EkpdBMENf3tpt!~~_27.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Ovaltine
13 years ago
But why would you want one. Its certainly not pretty, and is all that is bad about Volkswagen's history, Hitler, Nazis and war :evil:
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

But why would you want one. Its certainly not pretty

Ovaltine wrote:

I think they look great! And a lot of fun in the water...

is all that is bad about Volkswagen's history, Hitler, Nazis and war :evil:

Ovaltine wrote:

A lot of people thought exactly the same thing about the Beetle. Luckily for us the British Army wasn't bothered about this. Apparently the British REME guys used to enjoy launching Schwimmers off the docks at Wolfsburg.

The British even built a schwimmwagen with Aufbau 15389 - a documented REME build assembled by the British army in 1946 using parts found in the VW factory. Did they stand around saying "ooh, this is all that's bad about VW's history..."?

Without Hitler VW would not exist today, time to get over it...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
Schwimming is great fun and that's the answer as to why someone should want one.
Rattletrap
13 years ago
For those of us that are not overly rich and can't afford a schwim, there's always the British 'Amphicar'. If it came to one of those though, myself I think I'd take the bus, walk (or swim!).

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
13 years ago

For those of us that are not overly rich and can't afford a schwim

Rattletrap wrote:

Don't have to be rich,but knowing the right person helps.
oval56
13 years ago

But why would you want one.

Ovaltine wrote:

because it can swim, it is old, and it is a pice of technical history.

Its certainly not pretty,

Ovaltine wrote:

depends on each individuals attitude....

and is all that is bad about Volkswagen's history, Hitler, Nazis and war :evil:

Ovaltine wrote:

mhhh 60 years after, x genertaions later this thinking about bad history should dissapear.... and not only on schwimmers will stick on a so called "bad history":idea:

www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
69project
13 years ago
id have one tommorow... just people with 70s cars that obviously wouldnt have one or get what a great vehicle it is...:wink:
Car less.....
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

mhhh 60 years after, x genertaions later this thinking about bad history should dissapear.... and not only on schwimmers will stick on a so called "bad history":idea:

oval56 wrote:

Absolutely!! 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago
It's so ugly only its mother could love it, even the dash has no charm:x

However there's limitless fun to be had right now with the weather as it is. What a great way to arrive at Tesco's. Bring on the summer floods :!:

Think I'd have one :wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
13 years ago

id have one tommorow... just people with 70s cars that obviously wouldnt have one or get what a great vehicle it is...:wink:

69project wrote:

Hey, many Vintage Beetle enthusiats, including me 'cut their teeth' on a 70's Beetle which is still a great car being a direct descendant of the KdF Wagen. A person that runs an air-cooled Beetle of ANY year is one of the gang.

However, my draw to the world of vintage Beetles was more that funny little pair of windows in the back - it's art, and styled by an Italian designer as far as I'm aware. Porsche was not a designer, but an engineer, and he said as much. The prototypes were more his pen work, and although very interesting are not nearly as attractive as the VW38 (split-window car). If there had been no split-rear window I'd never got into the things, and missed a lot of enjoyment. Veteran vintage Beetle enthusiast and life-long friend of mine, Richard Cotton said the exact thing, that window was the draw. If Rattletrap had been an oval, would I love him as much...:?

Well, I'd still love him, but maybe a little less....

Ovals are nice too as are all air-cooled Beetles, I've had a few, and enjoy my '58, rectangular window and all :beer:
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

that funny little pair of windows in the back - it's art, and styled by an Italian designer as far as I'm aware. Porsche was not a designer, but an engineer, and he said as much.

Rattletrap wrote:

I was under the impression that Erwin Komenda styled the Beetle
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago

I was under the impression that Erwin Komenda styled the Beetle

pre67vw wrote:

...little pair of windows in the back - it's art, and styled by an Italian designer as far as I'm aware.

Rattletrap wrote:

I have read and heard this on past occassions. It is another point though that VW called in an Italian designer to re-style the oval window car for the 1957 model year.

pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
there's a great site on Komenda and the original Porsche Team - it lists many of the various patents that the team filed:

https://www.komenda.at/team1_e.htm 

There was an old TV advert that said about an Italian who suggested they increase the rear window size

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago

There was an old TV advert that said about an Italian who suggested they increase the rear window size

pre67vw wrote:

Would it be right to say that he suggested the other changes made the same time that year - the new dashboard and enlarged windscreen?

GKL 7
13 years ago

A person that runs an air-cooled Beetle of ANY year is one of the gang.

Rattletrap wrote:

[-x

Go and spend 10 mins on Vzi:lol:
Si Med
13 years ago

[-x

'50 Karmann wrote:

True
:beer: and thats coming from me, with a dare i say it "lowered car"
54 UK rhd
Ovaltine
13 years ago

69project wrote:

You have a problem with me having a '70s Bug it seems. Interesting that you had a real old bug, a patina split-window, then lowered it after 5 minutes then sold it on after 10 to get a later car. I appreciate vintage VW more than you it seems :evil:

[-x

'50 Karmann wrote:

I'm not sure that VZ would be too keen on having a visit from rattletrap after the trail of devastation it left around these forums :lol:
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
69project
13 years ago

You have a problem with me having a '70s Bug it seems. Interesting that you had a real old bug, a patina split-window, then lowered it after 5 minutes then sold it on after 10 to get a later car. I appreciate vintage VW more than you it seems :evil:

I'm not sure that VZ would be too keen on having a visit from rattletrap after the trail of devastation it left around these forums :lol:

Ovaltine wrote:

i was being sarcastic :wink:
Car less.....
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Ovaltine wrote:

Pot meet kettle :wink: