lifeintheslowlane
10 years ago

Nothing more than a little misunderstanding.

However, back to the subject of this thred, just how many adverts for early Beetles and split buses are suspect? Jon's been fishing around split bus adverts and to date he's had three replies that are suspect. This is classifieds in general, not just here. Even one on Ebay gave doubt with a rather low 'buy it now' price.

Old Blue wrote:

Ebay has been the spot for Scams for years. You find lots of auctions using pictures from the Samba Gallery simply lifted with a few details and a low start price and a ridiculous "Buy it Now" price but still people get suckered.

I used to report the obvious ones but now I've got tired of doing it...maybe gullible idiots need to learn the lesson the hard way. I have this warning on my website Classifieds:

Scam Warning!
Just a warning here, that if you advertise articles "For Sale" or "Wanted" on The Internet (our own "Buy & Sell" page included) you should be wary of the unscrupulous who have "cute" scams to part you from your money and goods. You'll find some of the scams described on The Samba website here: Internet Fraud They've been around a while and there are new angles appearing every day. If anyone wants you to do them a favour, rather than a straight "money in advance" purchase...it's a SCAM. Many scammers use Western Union so take advantage of the buyer protection offered by PayPal. If you have any doubt about a sale or purchase feel free to ask us by clicking on the Email link in the menu bar at the top of the page.
Remember! If a deal looks too good to be true...it is very probably a SCAM. Please check with us first if you have any doubts.

It really boils down to common sense.
John.
Old Blue
10 years ago
As you say all down to common sense.

Unfortunately Jon in his excitement just wants to rush in. However, I have asked him to let me see any advert replies he gets.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
55Kab
10 years ago

that's why i served in the Royal Navy

Originally Posted by: GKL 7 

Matlow eh? Need a like button on here Rob!

55Kab
10 years ago

or go read the daily mail

Originally Posted by: pre67vw 

That made me laugh...like button pressed again! :smile:

GKL 7
10 years ago

Matlow eh?

Originally Posted by: 55Kab 

Yep,Senior Service,don't you know.

Nice to see you back Martin.

vintagebug
10 years ago
Yep, welcome back to the forum Martin. It's been a while, but I'm sure you've been lurking all this time... :smile:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Rattletrap
10 years ago

Nice to see you back Martin.

Originally Posted by: GKL 7 

George and I agree on something! Where ya been Martin:?:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
55Kab
10 years ago
Thanks for comments guys...of course Dave, I normally take a look a few times a week.

Just decided to stay away from the forums John due to a number of reasons plus too much going on at home - now relocated back to Asia from the Middle East.

And before anyone asks...yes I still have the Cabrio, no intention of selling it and I very much hope it comes out to say hello somewhere next year.
vintagebug
10 years ago

Good to see you haven't given up on us then! :beer:

Whereabouts in Asia- Seoul?

Love to see the cabrio out next year Martin. I haven't actually seen it "in the flesh" (yet).

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"