Gertie60
10 years ago
Hi i have been looking for a splitscreen panel or bus recently and replied to 2 ads which had what looked like bargains one last week a guy in dublin selling a panel and one yesterday a delux bus.both are trying to get money without seeing the vehicle in question.the ads have disapeared is this because they are cons.if this is known to the forum is there a way users could be warned ?ielist there details:thumbdn:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rattletrap
10 years ago
Happened to me on a pre67vw classified a couple of weeks ago. The guy said he was out of the country abroad, but if I want to secure the car for when he gets back, I should send a deposit to his bank account.:thumbdn:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Gertie60
10 years ago
Thats about it email from classicfan or signed Basso Bellucci,anybody had any dealings with sarah rose from aberdeen ?
lifeintheslowlane
10 years ago
If an ad looks too good to be true...it invariably is and if the first thing they want is a deposit it's a scam.
John.
pre67vw
10 years ago
Yep there has been an increase in scam adverts lately, I delete them as soon as either I find them or I'm notified of them. They're getting harder to spot because they copy photos & text from old eBay ads - so it all looks kosher (apart from it being too cheap usually).

If you get a reply saying they want to sell it through eBay using the buy it now option, then that's usually a sign of a scam as well.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
10 years ago
I find that this type of scam seems more likely with an ad for an early VW than any other make. But then VWs attract silly money and a split for £7k would seem a bargain whereas a Morris for that would be laughed at.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
10 years ago

I find that this type of scam seems more likely with an ad for an early VW than any other make. But then VWs attract silly money and a split for £7k would seem a bargain whereas a Morris for that would be laughed at.

Rattletrap wrote:

A Morris would be laughed at, at any price,you know that John.
ianmac
10 years ago

Thats about it email from classicfan or signed Basso Bellucci,anybody had any dealings with sarah rose from aberdeen ?

Gertie60 wrote:

My mate went all dreamy over a very cheap T5 sport line, that was some woman from Aberdeen, gave him some crap about it being on an army base and wanted a deposit up front.... :roll:
Old Blue
10 years ago

A Morris would be laughed at, at any price,you know that John.

GKL 7 wrote:

Maybe you should try a Morris Minor before you scoff. Just run it for a year to see its qualities, then flog it on.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
ianmac
10 years ago

Maybe you should try a Morris Minor before you scoff. Just run it for a year to see its qualities, then flog it on.

Old Blue wrote:

I usually sit on the fence between you two, but even I feel I need to intervene at this point..... George has had probably the best 50 cab on the planet, a 47 which is just insane and a 51 which I now own, you cannot seriously think he should 'try' a heap of shite Morris Minor, they are worthless because they are crap. :shock:
Rattletrap
10 years ago

I usually sit on the fence between you two, but even I feel I need to intervene at this point..... George has had probably the best 50 cab on the planet, a 47 which is just insane and a 51 which I now own, you cannot seriously think he should 'try' a heap of shite Morris Minor, they are worthless because they are crap. :shock:

ianmac wrote:

In my many years of vehicle collecting I've had an awful lot of cars. Two of those were split-screen Morris Minors:oops:
Old Blue
10 years ago
I'd say that you are both anti-British and just would never own a British vehicle. What a shame to be so blinkered. Well we enjoy our mix of German and British cars.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

GKL 7
10 years ago

I'd say that you are both anti-British

Old Blue wrote:

Oh yes,that's why i served in the Royal Navy.What have you ever done for your country,except buy crappy cars :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
ianmac
10 years ago

I'd say that you are both anti-British and just would never own a British vehicle. What a shame to be so blinkered. Well we enjoy our mix of German and British cars.

Old Blue wrote:

I am not sure that by not liking Morris minors makes me anti-British? I just think they are crap......:shock:
Old Blue
10 years ago

Oh yes,that's why i served in the Royal Navy.What have you ever done for your country,except buy crappy cars :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

GKL 7 wrote:

Read again my post again please as I wrote 'I'd say you were both anti-British'. Both means two, so three would be all. Ianmac and rattletrap were the last two posts prior to mine, so they are the two to which I was refering as being anti-British.

pre67vw
10 years ago

Read again my post again please as I wrote 'I'd say you were both anti-British'. Both means two, so three would be all. Ianmac and rattletrap were the last two posts prior to mine, so they are the two to which I was refering as being anti-British.

Old Blue wrote:

I'd say you need to get a grip. Not liking the Morris Minor doesn't make you anti-British (I quite like them btw), neither does not liking the Allegro, or the Princess, or the Maxi etc. etc. Unfortunately, Britain made some awful cars. I suggest you stop trying to stir things and get back to talking about VW's as that's what this site is for, or go read the daily mail, your choice.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Old Blue
10 years ago

I'd say you need to get a grip. Not liking the Morris Minor doesn't make you anti-British (I quite like them btw), neither does not liking the Allegro, or the Princess, or the Maxi etc. etc. Unfortunately, Britain made some awful cars. I suggest you stop trying to stir things and get back to talking about VW's as that's what this site is for, or go read the daily mail, your choice.

pre67vw wrote:

Okay, you're the boss, though it was others that brought the subject into this thred.

Daily Mail?

Rattletrap
10 years ago
I'm not anti-British by any stretch of the imagination. Remember I did have two Morris Minors, and at different times. They do have charm and character, but the old Beetle is the one with the well pened curves, high build quality, toughness, plus simplicity. I've had many British vehicles, a few Austins among them, plus 7 Routemaster buses over the years. I currently have a very original London Routemaster, and she is on the road too. Nothing is more of a British icon than a Routemaster bus.:wink:
Old Blue
10 years ago
Nothing more than a little misunderstanding.

However, back to the subject of this thred, just how many adverts for early Beetles and split buses are suspect? Jon's been fishing around split bus adverts and to date he's had three replies that are suspect. This is classifieds in general, not just here. Even one on Ebay gave doubt with a rather low 'buy it now' price.