mmayson
16 years ago
I have got to fit some lap belts to my 57 Beetle. I was wondering if anyone else has done the job themselves and could guide me through the procedure. Is it a matter of drilling holes and fixing bolts, or is there welding involved? I am thinking of buying the Wolfsburg lap belts from KK, and I believe that all the hardware is included together with fitting instructions? (perhaps Jules could confirm).
Michael Mayson
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
16 years ago
Here's a good article about adding belts to a '57:

https://www.thebugshop.org/bsp57_10.htm 

There's a lot of people who believe lap belts are not much better than no belt at all, with lap belts the risk of abdominal injury in greatly increased. I think its now law that new car manufacturers even have to put a three point belt in the center of the rear seat because lap belts are not much good.

Some purists don't want belts of any sort in their car, I personally don't have a problem with belts if it means the kids can ride in the car safely.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Andy Sparks
16 years ago
Not a fan of lap belts as you head butt the dash.

i have some Bero ones to fit
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
mmayson
16 years ago

"Andy Sparks" wrote:

Lap belts can't be that bad, 10 zillion aeroplanes around the world use them?
Michael Mayson
pre67vw
16 years ago

"mmayson" wrote:

Lap belts can't be that bad, 10 zillion aeroplanes around the world use them?

"Andy Sparks" wrote:

When a plane is falling a couple of miles out of the sky, the shoulder restraint doesn't really help a great deal.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
16 years ago
As they say, lap belts always help in the event of a serious accident. They keep the body with the car :shock:

I had them on my Beetle and I have them in my Karmann Ghia. I think their use is more psycological rather than actual.
John.