lutty
  • lutty
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
I am looking to fit lap belts to my 1954 oval for safety reasons, but noy sure if the threaded holes are in place at present for this. Need advice
thank you
Dave
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
13 years ago
Pretty sure you won't find any anchorage points factory fitted.
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
I can't be certain, but I think either the 61 or the 62 model year was the first to have seat belt mounting points fitted as standard. To fit seat belts to an oval will involve some judicious drilling and fitting of strengthening plates. Tricky but certainly worth considering if you're using the car on a regular basis.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Lap belts are generally reckoned to be worse than nothing. I wouldn´t.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
ascort
13 years ago
I remember helping my father fit lap/sash belts to his 58 bug back in the very early 1960s (very few cars had belts then).

As well as turning the handle on the hand drill for a time for the drilling of the holes in the floor. I remember getting the job of holding plates/nuts in place under the floor.

I remember hating the sight of the drill going through the B pillar for the shoulder mount (just above the semaphores from memory) It seemed a cruel thing to do to a car, and of course it left the bolt head visible on the outside of the car. ....... but we had seatbelts and few others did.

The book "The Beetle" Ryan Lee Price states that seat belt anchorage points were introduced in 1961.

Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
harveypj
13 years ago

JD wrote:

That's the conclusion I came to.
With no collapsable steering column you could be impaled, If that does not get you you'd head butt the dash/ wind shield strapped in or not.
It might be best to consider just fitting belts in the back to prevent a passenger using you as an air bag.

Stock......the new custom
GKL 7
13 years ago

JD wrote:

Your right James,i have read that on a number of occasions.
With Lap belts you are also supposed to suffer from bad internal injuries.
lutty
  • lutty
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Guys, thanks for the comments. I'll leave the car for now without lap belts especially as there are no location holes for belts
Dave
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Given how close you sit to the steering wheel, dash and screen in a Beetle, and especially at 6'4", I decided not to bother fitting belts, as I really can't see them making much of a difference at any sort of higher speed - you're going to get hurt regardless, and nobody will ever sit behind me....

I drive slow, keep my distance and constantly keep my radar peeled - not much else you can do other than not drive it.

I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago
Lap belts were designed to keep the body with the car in the event of an accident.:cry:
John.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Lap belts were designed to keep the body with the car in the event of an accident.:cry:

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Exactly...

On the way to Stanford Hall, I casually remarked to my also large passenger that the windscreen wasn't big enough for the two of us...
I can supply...
PM me for details...
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

Exactly...

On the way to Stanford Hall, I casually remarked to my also large passenger that the windscreen wasn't big enough for the two of us...

Last Triumph wrote:

If you ever need to be reminded of your vulnerability just flick out your fingers whilst holding the steering wheel...to touch the windscreen...you are the crumple-zone. Drive accordingly.
John.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

If you ever need to be reminded of your vulnerability just flick out your fingers whilst holding the steering wheel...to touch the windscreen...you are the crumple-zone. Drive accordingly.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Precisely.

I can supply...
PM me for details...
bish
13 years ago
Im of the opinion also that lap belts are of no great help in an early Bug, but seeing as my wife wont let me take my daughters out in my Oval unless i have belts, i`ll be putting four lap belts in. So i had a quick search and found this.....

https://thebugshop.org/bsfqblts.htm 

Maybe of some help should you decide to go for it...............

:smile:
cupa65
13 years ago
I now understand why safety minded drivers trailer their Beetles to shows:d
Last Triumph
13 years ago

I now understand why safety minded drivers trailer their Beetles to shows:d

cupa65 wrote:

If someone was 'that' safety minded, then I'd fear they'd chosen the wrong car....

I can supply...
PM me for details...
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

If someone was 'that' safety minded, then I'd fear they'd chosen the wrong car....

Last Triumph wrote:

That's true, you have to be realistic when you choose to drive a vintage mass-produced car. None stand up to modern safety requirements and as most of us don't use them as daily drivers we consider the benefits outweigh the increased risk if involved in an accident.

I use lap belts but understand that any protection they give is minimal so this very fact focuses your attention on grip, breaking distances and above all other road users who take risks in getting past a slow moving vehicle.

Generally speaking you'll be OK as long as you engage brain when you engage gear.
John.
cupa65
13 years ago
What about engaging everyone else's brain?