overrestored
16 years ago
I decided to start a windshield thread for Beeskows. I think that Gilles has confirmed that what we thought fit... the goliath gp750 windshield... actually does NOT fit.

Who among you has this information first hand... and has actually seen this?
protect me from what I want
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
overrestored
16 years ago
I have also heard a rumour... that the rear window from Mercedes 190 sl hardtop... fits. This was told to me by Blue Nelson. I have never investigated it.

Does anyone have any experience with 190sl hardtop back windows? It would seem that the glass would not be laminated... and so it could be dangerous even if it did fit.

I am guessing this rumour is incorrect... but would like to check it out.
overrestored
16 years ago
Gilles has mentioned that he wants to have a group of windshields made. I would like one... Mark M. wants one... John. H wants two, This guy in Oregon wants one for sure...

so that is 6 without even trying.

It sure would be great if we could find out where that original windshield mould went.
SplitPersonality
16 years ago
I am in - 100%. Sign me up for 2 of them.

I can positively 100% confirm that the Goliath does NOT fit. I have both the 600 and 700 here and have tried both...hight and radius OK, but it need to be about 100 mm wider...side to side.

I am quite sure FInland is the place to go for cheap, low volume glass. I can check my contacts there. They do the Pre-A split windows and more...
Etzhold1
16 years ago
Maybe you guy's should ask Vintage VW ( Pascal)
He made the Hebmuller windows!
Maybe he can help you with this??

Regards and happy new year to you all ! :lol:

Guido

overrestored
16 years ago
The trouble is not finding the supplier to make the windshield... it is in finding someone willing to give up their windshield to make the replacements.

Nobody with a good windshield is willing to give up theirs to ship to the manufacturer... we need someone with a cracked windshield...

I also think that Guido's old car also needs a windshield... so that would be one more for our list.

I haven't talked to Mac about his cars... I would bet he wants a spare though.

I drove my car down to Anaheim for the vintage vw treffen last summer... a round trip of about 400 miles... through LA... I think I told you guys about the big wreck that happened all around me.. I was only worried about something flying into the windshield. We could fix anything else.

fantakid
16 years ago
Hi,
when you got someone who can do the window we can talk about our extra windshild.
We have an extra Beeskow windshild and when everthing is save we could lend it for the reproduktion.
Bye the way - Mac Jones sold his last Beeskow, He does not have any Beeskow anymore. He is now looking for a Split Window Beeskow cabrio - so if someone knows one for sale - call Mac.
Bye Christian

pre67vw
16 years ago

The trouble is not finding the supplier to make the windshield... it is in finding someone willing to give up their windshield to make the replacements.

Nobody with a good windshield is willing to give up theirs to ship to the manufacturer... we need someone with a cracked windshield...

"overrestored" wrote:

In hot rod/custom circles, they get a sheet metal template made up and use that to make the windscreen from. A lot of times these are one off's that don't fit any other car.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

"pre67vw" wrote:

In hot rod/custom circles, they get a sheet metal template made up and use that to make the windscreen from. A lot of times these are one off's that don't fit any other car.

"overrestored" wrote:

Thats not quite accurate Rob. I remember an article on making a custom screen for a chopped Chrysler. They built an extremely robust metal frame work, that was braced six ways from Sunday, (looked like the Forth bridge!) with a flat edge, the same shape as the perimeter of the screen. They then sent this to Finland and had three screens made. So you don't actually need a screen to copy, as long as you have the car.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago
I seem to remember on an episode of American Hot Rod when they curved the metal windscreen with an English wheel (and braced it to keep it's shape I think) and then sent it to the glass company - didn't seem to be an issue at all, although it is TV of course...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
overrestored
16 years ago
either way... that will work.

I know the fellow in Oregon has the capacity to make such a metal gizmo... and will talk to him about it.

Eric
overrestored
15 years ago
SO... any news on Beeskow windshields? Gilles???

there is a fellow researching making them here in the states right now.

I will keep you advised.

Etzhold1
15 years ago
I have to pick up some Hebmuller windshields today !
I'll ask the people who made them for me if they can make the beeskow windshields ! I realy have to know how many you guy's could need !
I'll arange something with Christian , if he still like to give his spare shield as a sample !

Best Regards,

Guido