JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Its a 1958 LHD. I had a look at lunchtime and it seems to be in good order - it just doesn´t move much.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Peter_Plade
15 years ago
Hmm damn, then I have no more suggestions, but I am still interested in seeing pictures 🙂
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
Took it apart a bit today and had a play, and the linkage seems to be working ok - steady pedal pressure and its not so off and on as before. I painted a few bits black too, as the huge shiny cross bar and swivel mount thing were annoying me. I put my drip try back in too and now its getting stinking hot and won´t idle down! Arrgh. This is getting rather trying.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Bengt H
15 years ago
If your engine runs hot its probably wrong timing or lean fuel/air mixture.
I see that you have a vacum advance distributor, I would recomend a non vacum distributor because the vacum signal is not so good when you use twin carbs, try a 30 hp bus or a 009.
What jets do you have? My experience is that you should have bigger jets than they recomended in the old days, todays fuel is not the same.
What condition is your carbs in? most of this carbs are 50+ years and they are worn and full of dirt, almost impossibile to get clean! You have to clean them over and over again.
Have you done anything on the acc pump? If they have the original stroke they will probably drown the engine when you accellerate.
Keep on working with it and I think you will sort out the problems. Good luck!
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
I think you are onto something there Bengt. I had the same problem before with a busted vacuum advance unit and it was really similar - car pulls well low down but is no faster at the top end. I will maybe try a 009 before anything else, but the carbs probably need some attention too. Does anyone do reconditioned carbs properly?

UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
Twin carb installation, part 732...
...the saga continues...

Found a pal with a suitable - non vacuum advance - dizzy in the UK, and brought it over and fitted it today. It has made a big difference - I was able to run 60mph with the top down. Still feels pretty lifeless on the hills, and I will get it timed up properly when I have a chance, but I may just be expecting too much from my 33.8hp.

Still, nice to see some improvement, as the last time I drove it, it was dreadful! I´m thinking that the vacuum unit was on the way out, which would explain a lot. It was worse than stock I feel sure.
UserPostedImage
Judson53
15 years ago
Hi could you tell me were you ordered this kit from please
oval56
15 years ago

Hi could you tell me were you ordered this kit from please

Judson53 wrote:

i think he has it direkly from riechert-motorentechnik in barleben germany

Riechert 

he still offers the kits, but he needs a lot of time, and he uses for comunication only phone and / or fax...
internet and e mail is not his world :d
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
Judson53
15 years ago

i think he has it direkly from riechert-motorentechnik in barleben germany

Riechert 

he still offers the kits, but he needs a lot of time, and he uses for comunication only phone and / or fax...
internet and e mail is not his world :d

oval56 wrote:

thanks for that,i can handle fax,me and computers dont get on either

does he speek good english?
oval56
15 years ago
not sure if he speaks englisch, if you want a set, contact me via e mail, so i can try to arrange to buy a set over germany ( had bought several sets the last 3 years)

i think a fax in englsh, the answer will take longer as a telephoncal from germany (and this takes also longer than a normal order:roll: )

in germany mr riechert is lovely called "opa riechert" means grandfather riechert" :d
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
Torben
15 years ago
I have just bought a kit without carbs for app. 400 euro. I just called mr. Reichert on the phone and ordred the complete manifold kit with the rebuild kit for my carbs. Mr. Reichert speaks a very nice english so no troubles here. About 4 weeks later I got a big package with all the goodis.
The kit is very comprehensive and complete it is easy to install. The only thing I have done is making two new rods for the acc. pumps to make the amount of fuel smaller from them. I made them 8 mm longer than the originals and made a 4mm thread for easy adjustment. I use a distribitor from a split bus without vaccum advance.
vicpolky
15 years ago

thanks for that,i can handle fax,me and computers dont get on either

does he speek good english?

Judson53 wrote:

I got a kit from him earlier in the year - spoke to him on the phone - his English is pretty good, and he's very helpful.

The kit is excellent too :d
15 years ago
At the moment I have a complete twin 34PCI Riechert kit with linkage etc. whic I was going to install on a twin port 1300 for my Ghia project for a bit of power, I am now considering using my kit on my 36HP engine, can I simply buy a pair of early Riechert manifold and use my existing 34PCI carbs and linkage and bolt it on my 36HP engine? Any help would be appreciated.
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
15 years ago

At the moment I have a complete twin 34PCI Riechert kit with linkage etc. whic I was going to install on a twin port 1300 for my Ghia project for a bit of power, I am now considering using my kit on my 36HP engine, can I simply buy a pair of early Riechert manifold and use my existing 34PCI carbs and linkage and bolt it on my 36HP engine? Any help would be appreciated.
UserPostedImage

der steiner rad wrote:

You´d have to check if the base plates of the carbs are the same bot pattern as 28pcis. If they are, then it should at least physically bolt on.
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

You´d have to check if the base plates of the carbs are the same bot pattern as 28pcis. If they are, then it should at least physically bolt on.

JD wrote:

34s have a wider bolt spacing than the 28s.:(
John.
JD
  • JD
15 years ago

34s have a wider bolt spacing than the 28s.:(

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Looks like you´ll need a pair of manifolds too then. Its all available separately anyway.
UserPostedImage
Tempie
15 years ago
this is the setup in my 58
Also in Belgium

UserPostedImage
'60 in resto
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
Was tweaking my linkage a bit more today and its finally starting to pay off. It runs better than it ever has done, holding sixty mph uphill (gasp!) and I´m still only getting around three quarters throttle. I think I may take a hammer to the back of the pedal stop to get more movement, as I don´t think theres any more to be had at the linkage.

Tempie - I can´t see your pictures!
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
15 years ago
More playing about today (beating on the pedal stop!) and its going better than ever. 115kmh on the flat with no problems and I hit 140kmh down hill! Drum brakes really are a bit crap aren´t they?
UserPostedImage
Judson53
15 years ago
How does the choke cable work on these kits