JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago

How does the choke cable work on these kits

Judson53 wrote:

It doesn´t. However, you don´t really need it anymore due to the short manifolds which warm the carbs up quicker.

I´m pretty happy with how mine works, finally. Pulls away quite quickly. I´m not sure how much better it is than standard, because my car never ran right with only one carb. I think the dizzy was kippered, so I had no advance.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Judson53
15 years ago
was the kit quiet easy to install and set up,i have read through this thread,did you sort any problems easly?
JD
  • JD
15 years ago

was the kit quiet easy to install and set up,i have read through this thread,did you sort any problems easly?

Judson53 wrote:

You get the correct jets in the kit for a stock 1200 so there´s not much to be done in the way of setting up. Have a word with Mr Riechert if you need anything different, he´s very helpful. I didn´t actually install the kit myself. (Wish i had though). It was fitted by a garage at the same time as a lot of other work was done. They didn´t do a very good job. I can´t imagine it would be hard to fit though. The linkage is what took some playing with, in order to get full throttle open, but as I said, I seem to have very limited travel at the pedal for some reason. Took a bit of patience and fiddling, but the other two people I know with this kit have had no problems.
UserPostedImage
Judson53
15 years ago
Exelent thanks for your help

i think ill order a kit :lol:
54 Gertie
14 years ago
JD, having lived with twin PCI's for a while now, how do you rate them?

Also, are you sticking with the cent dizzy? What would stop you having two vacuum lines with a T piece from both carbs to a stock vac dizzy?

Thanks. 😎
William
JD
  • JD
14 years ago

JD, having lived with twin PCI's for a while now, how do you rate them?

Also, are you sticking with the cent dizzy? What would stop you having two vacuum lines with a T piece from both carbs to a stock vac dizzy?

Thanks. 😎

54 Gertie wrote:

Hard to say how much better it is as I fitted the twin carbs to add more power, only to discover that the reason it was so bad before, was that the original dizzy was kippered. So it was awful before and now it´s only pretty bad.:lol:

The centrifugal dizzy is supposed to have a better advance curve for a mildly tuned engine (so I´m told). I guess it would work with vacuum lines though. I´ll dig up the part number for mine if you want to look out for one. They came on late 1950s busses.

30horse motors in general seem to vary pretty wildly. I´ve met people who claim theirs will run 120kph with the single carb, which is as good as mine is now with the twins. Maybe my cam is round. While it´s not much faster with the twin carbs, it is noticeably quicker off the mark and you get more overlap in the gears. It will now generally hold 50mph up steep hills on the autobahn too, which it wouldn´t before. And if not then i can drop to third and scream it along at 50mph anyway. Its more flexible in general.
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Hard to say how much better it is as I fitted the twin carbs to add more power, only to discover that the reason it was so bad before, was that the original dizzy was kippered. So it was awful before and now it´s only pretty bad.:lol:

The centrifugal dizzy is supposed to have a better advance curve for a mildly tuned engine (so I´m told). I guess it would work with vacuum lines though. I´ll dig up the part number for mine if you want to look out for one. They came on late 1950s busses.

30horse motors in general seem to vary pretty wildly. I´ve met people who claim theirs will run 120kph with the single carb, which is as good as mine is now with the twins. Maybe my cam is round. While it´s not much faster with the twin carbs, it is noticeably quicker off the mark and you get more overlap in the gears. It will now generally hold 50mph up steep hills on the autobahn too, which it wouldn´t before. And if not then i can drop to third and scream it along at 50mph anyway. Its more flexible in general.

JD wrote:

Hi, that was quick! :lol:

Are you running a Bosch 010 dizzy? I think from memory was fitted the late 30 horse bus engines and these are now very popular with the "vintage speed" lot. If you dont mind getting your part number that would be great. I know that even "Mr Distributor", Glenn Ring , struggles to find these to restore!

https://www.glenn-ring.com/010/ 

Thanks. 😎
William
JD
  • JD
14 years ago
No, it´s not an 010. I used a VJ4BR8 (which is identical to a VJR4BR8 or a 0 231 129 019)

Glen Ring told me they´re the one you want for a mild 36horser.
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
14 years ago

No, it´s not an 010. I used a VJ4BR8 (which is identical to a VJR4BR8 or a 0 231 129 019)

Glen Ring told me they´re the one you want for a mild 36horser.

JD wrote:

So you are running a 019. From The Samba it seems that on a mild 30 horser, a 019 is better than a 010. Just as you say. Proves my ignorance! :lol:

The 019 is great on stock and mild performance engines. The 010 works best on mild to high performance.

The 010 has a few more degrees advance and it's all in at a lower RPM.

The 019 is much better than a 009... anyday.

Just remember that any 019 is atleast 40 years old, so it should be cleaned and relubricted at a minimum.

BTW... the 019 came in the standard black or the metalic blue when sold in the "Screamer" kit.

"Glenn" wrote:

William
Donder
14 years ago

I have just bought a kit without carbs for app. 400 euro. I just called mr. Reichert on the phone and ordred the complete manifold kit with the rebuild kit for my carbs. Mr. Reichert speaks a very nice english so no troubles here. About 4 weeks later I got a big package with all the goodis.
The kit is very comprehensive and complete it is easy to install. The only thing I have done is making two new rods for the acc. pumps to make the amount of fuel smaller from them. I made them 8 mm longer than the originals and made a 4mm thread for easy adjustment. I use a distribitor from a split bus without vaccum advance.

Torben wrote:

hello, i got a 30hp engine from a friend with the same riechert kit that suffers from drowning when i open the throttle.
I was thinking that the acc. pump injected to much when opening the throttle thus drowning the motor what causes it to die or to start hesitating (and shaking).
Could you ( or someone else offcourse)post a pic of modified rods for the acc pump?
I was thinking to shortening the springs or as you suggested to make new rods, longer than stock.

A pic would really be handy.

thx in advance

Philip
JD
  • JD
14 years ago

hello, i got a 30hp engine from a friend with the same riechert kit that suffers from drowning when i open the throttle.
I was thinking that the acc. pump injected to much when opening the throttle thus drowning the motor what causes it to die or to start hesitating (and shaking).
Could you ( or someone else offcourse)post a pic of modified rods for the acc pump?
I was thinking to shortening the springs or as you suggested to make new rods, longer than stock.

A pic would really be handy.

thx in advance

Philip

Donder wrote:

Find out what jets are in it and give Hr Riechert a call. He´ll be able to tell you whats up.
UserPostedImage