six-o-one
15 years ago
Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be loads of these for sale at the moment!
:shock:

1951 RHD Split...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=629723 

1951 RHD Split...
https://vwclassics.co.uk/index.php?page=1951-rhd-split-oval 

1952 RHD Split...
https://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee9/classycampers/Split%20Beetle/ https://www.classycampers.co.uk/index.php?page=details&camper=87 

1953 RHD Zwitter (In SA)...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=659150 

Spoilt for choice! :wink:  beetlesplit059.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  1951-rhd-split-oval_f_1_400_0.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  2136908.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  2232649.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Very stange indeed! Considering only a couple of thousand were ever built, it does seem odd that four have come up for sale in the last few weeks! I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale, but it was a number of years ago.

The top one in the pics has just been sold and is on its way to Scotland.

The second and forth ones in the pics, I was offered some time ago, but the asking price at the time looked like it was going to be more than they were worth (and they're both in S.A.)

The third car in the pics, we all know about.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
dp
  • dp
  • Regular
15 years ago
Common as muck, especially in white.

Interesting to see a RHD standard model from SA - I didn't realise VW ever did standard model split CKD's.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
In pics:

1. I saw the grey one for sale, looks quite good, probably needs a similar amount of work to mine, was'nt it quite a reasonable price too? I knew it would sell quite fast.

2. I just saw this one tonight here:

ssvc 51 beetle for sale 

Looks like an incredibly good car!! But at what price for 'rustfree'? I dont want to knock anyone elses sale but I would be VERY surprised indeed to see anyone get £15k for a split on an oval floorpan rustfree or not. Also slightly less desirable being an SA car, regardless of rhd or not, and they seem to mostly have been painted such weird non vw colours?! ( she says hoping no-one will notice the obvious :oops: :lol: )

3. White is a harsh colour on a split ( being SA again) but imagine how great it would look on stock wheels maybe with sealing wax hubs would be nice!
This is still a super fully restored 'get in it and drive' split and I can certainly see where all the money has been spent. A great instant car for someone who does'nt want to have to restore one!

4. Looks ok too, but its over 'there'.

BUT

This is the car that would get my cash! This ticks all the boxes and more for me personally than all the above, and just the right money I think for a matching numbers car! I really like it, especially those lovely doorcards!! and seats :beer: So I will take the 'proper' lhd one thanks 😳 This one is the winner :d :beer:

50 standard £9k 

50 standard pics 

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Hey that Etzhold really LOVES his 1303's.....BUSTED!! Hahaha :lol:
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

In pics:

1. I saw the grey one for sale, looks quite good, probably needs a similar amount of work to mine, was'nt it quite a reasonable price too? I knew it would sell quite fast.

2. I just saw this one tonight here:

ssvc 51 beetle for sale 

Looks like an incredibly good car!! But at what price for 'rustfree'? I dont want to knock anyone elses sale but I would be VERY surprised indeed to see anyone get £15k for a split on an oval floorpan rustfree or not. Also slightly less desirable being an SA car, regardless of rhd or not, and they seem to mostly have been painted such weird non vw colours?! ( she says hoping no-one will notice the obvious :oops: :lol: )

3. White is a harsh colour on a split ( being SA again) but imagine how great it would look on stock wheels maybe with sealing wax hubs would be nice!
This is still a super fully restored 'get in it and drive' split and I can certainly see where all the money has been spent. A great instant car for someone who does'nt want to have to restore one!

4. Looks ok too, but its over 'there'.

BUT

This is the car that would get my cash! This ticks all the boxes and more for me personally than all the above, and just the right money I think for a matching numbers car! I really like it, especially those lovely doorcards!! and seats :beer: So I will take the 'proper' lhd one thanks 😳 This one is the winner :d :beer:

50 standard £9k 

50 standard pics 

UserPostedImage

mrsherbie wrote:

Agreed on most points Anna.

No1. needs work, but for less than £5k for a genuine RHD double-dash split, you can't grumble. The new owner in Scotland has scored a decent deal.

No2. Very nice car and with the added bonus of S.A. RHD. I understand that this car was originally advertised in S.A with a price tag of around £7k. For the amount of work it needs, despite being genuine RHD, I would like to wish good luck to the current seller.

No3. A well restored car, but not that original. I personally think the choice of wheels, colour and style is not to most early Beetle owner's likings. But then again, what do I know!!? Price of $50,000 might scare most punters away.

No4. Cool, but needs a fair bit of work. Again, it's a genuine RHD Zwitter (not many of those around). Importing from S.A is a pain in the arse.

I think I would agree Anna- I'd much rather have that '50 STD or the '52 barn find recently advertised by Bjoern than any of the above cars, despite the fact that I'm a sucker for RHD early cars!

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
1. Yes I had forgotten the price, the grey car was certainly a good buy!

2. But dont you think that there is a big difference between rhd SA v UK? I know you get far less rust :lol: BUT UK cars do have that 'certain magic' tied in with British/VW factory close historic links. SA splits seem a bit odd to me, like Indian Morris Minors.. ( and I have owned 3 ckd NZ cars)

I also think that the oval pan de-values it a huge amount for sale purposes. I think from the ad the seller maybe does not realise that. I would not buy a split on an oval pan rustfree or not unless it was cheap to reflect this major incorrectness. For under £10k I think you can get away with that for such an exceptionally solid car BUT £15k (ie. over the £10k threshold) opens the door and buys a lot of more correct cars whose chassis number and body tag actually match!
Lets not forget that when the DVLA inspect it for registration it could get registered on paper as an oval not a split!?! Depending on the inspector's thoroughness. That will affect its value.
We had that 51 with the 3fold in on a mint rustfree oval pan for sale for £3.5k about a year ago. Ok not nearly such a good shell as this but cheap because of the non matching pan mostly (followed by added roof job 3 fold) No stock people with any knowledge or basic experience will buy a fresh imported and unregistered car on the wrong pan for over £10k. I could also be wrong but I am almost certain I am not.
Possibly someone building a modified or Cal Look/racecar who wants to save time & money on welding, but how many of those spend £15k on the stock base car? ( I cant think of any)

3. I agree the white fully restored car is certainly not 'me' either ( but then 'me' is also a bit of a crazy non vw colour scheme! :lol: ) and I agree the white does not appeal to stock people, who generally like to only see German Factory colours. (My car falls into the same 'oddball' category) But I do think this car has appeal outside of the stock market, I can also see it with genuine detailed Fuch's (and no headlight grilles) appealing to Cal look or Resto, it does have instant and easy 'Blingness'! being white, combined with 'split' desirability, and much as though we hate to do it, that IS a much bigger market to sell too. This car's identity could be changed overnight for the new owner.
It is no doubt easy to spend £25k restoring a car, and I have never had to do it ( thank god!) But there is some stiff competition in the over £20k category, like this one:
50 on the samba  or a few at BBT including the Fabulous green 50 that I am AMAZED is still for sale! BBT 50  and I agree with you, I would expect a lot of originality for over £20k. But I think that is also our taste, as some the highest priced vws seem to have been fully/(over)restored and resto/modified?

I just know that if I ever had £25k to spent on a vw it would only be 40's and have to be bloody special!! :lol: :lol:

Etzhold1
15 years ago

In pics:

BUT

50 standard £9k 

50 standard pics 

UserPostedImage

mrsherbie wrote:

And don't forget there is "OBO" in the ad !
And anna,Ok Ok , I'll weld that passenger seat but the upholstery is IMO very good and there are better doorcards comming with the car ! These are from that 46 beetle that we transformed too a BAJA :wink:

Guido:twisted:
mrsherbie
15 years ago
We all know that ALL split seats come away there, we have a lot here and they are all broken away, very easy invisible fix though. Both our 50's had to be welded there.
I am odd but I like the torn door panels! :lol:
I wanted a 50 standard, thats why I standardised my 50. But I expect I will put it back to its original scruffy deluxe pastel green one day when I have nothing to do!
classycamper
15 years ago
Hello,
I see you have seen my 52 split on the samba, and as stated above the split WAS pending but the buyer could not complete...so if any one is intrested it is back up for sale and now with the floor welded and the 1100 engine rebuilt and still for the same price.
Heres the link again which has been updated
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=656986 

Cheers
Ady
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Hello,
I see you have seen my 52 split on the samba, and as stated above the split WAS pending but the buyer could not complete...so if any one is intrested it is back up for sale and now with the floor welded and the 1100 engine rebuilt and still for the same price.
Heres the link again which has been updated
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=656986 

Cheers
Ady

classycamper wrote:

Looks like a good deal for the money Ady. If only I had more space, more time, fewer cars already etc etc. Somebody's going to get a good project for that kind of $$. Good luck with the sale.

Rich.
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Looks like a good deal for the money Ady. If only I had more space, more time, fewer cars already etc etc. Somebody's going to get a good project for that kind of $$. Good luck with the sale.

Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Yes seconded! :d I dont think you will have it around too long!