pammer
15 years ago
I've got a 1965 1300 engine, it's stripped down to the case but not split open. I can move the camshaft forward and back (from front to back) in the engine, but there appears to be no play in the bearings I would say it moves about 5-6mm.

Is this normal? I'm guessing probably not. I'm currently not in a position to split the case and take a better look inside.

I am looking to replace or rebuild this engine next year. In it's current state any ideas how much time I have left?

Pammer x
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
15 years ago

I've got a 1965 1300 engine, it's stripped down to the case but not split open. I can move the camshaft forward and back (from front to back) in the engine, but there appears to be no play in the bearings I would say it moves about 5-6mm.

Is this normal? I'm guessing probably not. I'm currently not in a position to split the case and take a better look inside.

I am looking to replace or rebuild this engine next year. In it's current state any ideas how much time I have left?

Pammer x

pammer wrote:

Camshaft is inside the case, so I'm guessing you're talking about the crankshaft? The forward/backward play of the crank is called endfloat, you adjust the endfloat by putting up to three special spacer washers behind the flywheel - but to be honest 5-6mm is too much to space so it may be an indication that something else is wrong. You're probably better off splitting the case and having a good look inside.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW