john t
16 years ago
hi, its john from cheshire, in need of help. does anybody have any advice as to how to remove hingepin from door, as i have tried but failed. i own a 64 bug with play in the doors (they drop when opened) i have new oversized 9mm pins, so any help would be graetful.
Ps, just back from RTTS
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
First - is it definitely the hinge pins? Not a rotted out A pillar letting it all flex when the door is opened?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
john t
16 years ago
thanks for the response JD, A pillar rock solid no rust problems anywhere, when door is open i can lift it and see the play on the hinges.
ive spoken to someone who told me the just knock out, but i have tried that but to no effect. Thanks again
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Thats not a nice job. They certainly don't "just" knock out. Not at all easily at any rate.

I'll let someone more knowledgable suggest something. I just know you have to be very carefull not to dent the door skin doing this.
UserPostedImage
john t
16 years ago
I think i will have to take the doors off the car, get them on a bench, and try removing the pins that way. Thanks again JD for your help
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago

I think i will have to take the doors off the car, get them on a bench, and try removing the pins that way. Thanks again JD for your help

"john t" wrote:

If you can get the use of an air hammer, it would probably be ideal for the job. Its too easy to hit the door skin with a normal hammer. I seem to remember on a friends car, someone had swapped out one of the hinges by drilling the rivits out of the door, and replaced them (and the hinge) with big countersunk screws, which were a perfect fit. Could be worth a try.

How many miles does your car have on it to have got like this??
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
16 years ago
I've done it a long time ago but I don't really remember, I'm pretty sure it involved heat because the hinges are a different metal to the pins, so it becomes much easier (although it will ruin paint)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
Don't want to state the obvious but - why not buy a door hinge pin removal tool.Think they work by hydraulic pressure.
VW also issued their service centres with a speacial tool for mechanics that handled the job,seen them for sale on the samba.
You are going to be lucky if you can do it without marking your paint work.I cartainly would not attack it with an air tool,if that hinge pin is seized an air hammer will just bounce about all over the place.
How long have you soaked the hinge with a rust penetrating fluid?
In the past i have soaked a single nut and bolt for a week before trying to undo it,desperate it did not shear.
Good Luck,Be patient.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Theres really a gadget to get them out? Never knew that. Mind you, my tool kit consists of only small, medium and large hammers, so...
UserPostedImage
'50 Karmann
16 years ago
Not a brilliant picture or diagram,but heres one of the tools VW issued.  9906.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
john t
16 years ago
Thanks a lot for all your help and ideas, i will try soaking them for a week as suggested, and then give them another go. Failing this i will try applying some heat and see if that does the trick, not to worried about the paint, as the car is due for a respay soon. Thanks again
john t
16 years ago
does anybody know where i can buy a hingepin removal tool from.
six-o-one
16 years ago

does anybody know where i can buy a hingepin removal tool from.

"john t" wrote:

I wouldn't mind buying one too! :?
16 years ago

Not a brilliant picture or diagram,but heres one of the tools VW issued.

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

Do you have a larger/clearer version of that please?
Id like to see if my engineer could make one up...if so, itd be available on loan. :wink:
Andy Sparks
16 years ago
Here you go

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=108584&sid=ac9d482dfd33b2e9b94ba52198ffb2da 

I'm sure if you get one made, there will be a more few takers on here or thesamba.

Andy.
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂