pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
15 years ago
I've undone the two nuts on the spindle, removed the little washer behind it - but the hub is not coming off. I don't have a puller to put on it like it says in the manual, any tips on what to do?

Thanks.
8)
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
harveypj
15 years ago
Hi Rob,
I take it you have wound in the brake shoes or they will be catching on the drum.
Stock......the new custom
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
15 years ago
The drum turns freely, I don't think it's hitting the shoes.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Maybe not hitting the shoes when it turns, but the drums develop a lip around the edge over time, which can mean that you need to back the shoes off.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
15 years ago
it doesn't feel like it's sticking on the brakes, I had that a bit on the backs. This feels more like the bearing is rock solid on the spindle or something.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
six-o-one
15 years ago
Can you remove the outer bearing ok?
I've had the inner bearing seized on to the spindle so the drum eventually comes off but leaves the bearing and oil seal behind.

If it wobbles around ok with no outer bearing, just keep pulling! :shock:

You'll still need a puller to get the bearing off though! :wink:
harveypj
15 years ago
If you have backed the shoes right off and all is still solid I'd have to agree with six-o-one that the inner bearing race is siezed to the stub. If it wont budge you could try gently heating it with a gas flame.
Stock......the new custom
Etzhold1
15 years ago
I would use my 4 kgr hammer and 2 large screwdrivers !!:wink:
And talk nice to that drum :lol: that was helping me today when I was trying to get a new rubber arround a windshield from a 1303 Cabrio !
Tomorrow I'll try :evil: to put the trim in there, I hate new rubbers !:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Guido

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
If the inner race is stuck - and mine always seem to be - you are trying to pull the oil seal over the bearing. You have to use a bit of force, but it will come. Keep pulling and turning it.
UserPostedImage
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Hi Rob,

As everyone else has said sounds like the inner race is stuck on the axle, have you tried bolting the wheel back on a giving it a good kicking ? Failing that you need a puller, I don't have a hub puller but there used to be a place near me that would hire them out, was a great car accessory shop, unfortunately has now been taken over my a couple of kids more into their ICE than tools etc :(

Good luck, let us know how you get on
Kev
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Any luck Rob?

None of the pullers I have fit around the back of these bearings. Like Kev, I've always had to hire a special puller to free these bearings off the shaft.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
15 years ago
Thanks all, I got it off OK in the end - just needed a bigger hammer :wink: I was a bit worried about hitting too hard to begin with in case I'd forgotten something.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Etzhold1
15 years ago
So at the end of the storry my 4 kgr hammer did it:lol: :lol:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
:lol: :lol: :lol:

UserPostedImage