15 years ago
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Ooof! Thats about as I remember it. Quite a mess.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
15 years ago
Nah, a good body shop would buff that right out :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
15 years ago
New centre section roof added judging by the welds. Man in the picture has not gotten over to spraying the other welds above the door pillars that can be seen. These show that the rear window has not been added to the body, so it does not have a new shell 😳

Well all this alone makes Rattletrap a very special car, I doubt that some would bother putting that amount of effort into saving a crushed KdF :beer:  rattle welds6.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

New centre section roof added judging by the welds. Man in the picture has not gotten over to spraying the other welds above the door pillars that can be seen. These show that the rear window has not been added to the body, so it does not have a new shell 😳

Well all this alone makes Rattletrap a very special car, I doubt that some would bother putting that amount of effort into saving a crushed KdF :beer:

Standard split wrote:

You amaze me. :lol:

Those "welds" over the door are where the headliner clamp strips go. Looks like they´ve been ground off.

But wait - how can it be that the headliner isn´t in the car??!? That could never possibly survive being removed and reinstalled. Apparently.:lol:

UserPostedImage
Mike Peckham
15 years ago
Standard split;

You're either clutching at straws or on the wind-up.

I think the latter :wink:

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Sunroof53
15 years ago

Well all this alone makes Rattletrap a very special car, I doubt that some would bother putting that amount of effort into saving a crushed KdF :beer:

Standard split wrote:

Your in Denial.New shell old rear window.The pictures show the car was a basket case before it was even smashed .Take a look at those heater channels .There not even attached to the floor .The shell is clearly being cut up .I like the comment in the article that says "its a good job it was solid steel".:shock:
pre67vw
15 years ago
Putting the split window into a later shell would certainly have been much easier and much less work than replacing the side in the original shell.

I still don't see anything I would consider 'proof' to support either story though. I'd like to see either the original shell with the side cut out, or the new shell with the rear window cut out.

I'm leaning towards the new shell theory, but only due to the lack of detail in the article - I kind of think that if it had some amazing bodywork done to the original shell they'd want to show it off a bit - but if they'd cheated then they'd want to be vague about it.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
15 years ago

Those "welds" over the door are where the headliner clamp strips go. Looks like they´ve been ground off.

JD wrote:

Why grind them off? it's not a standard?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sunroof53
15 years ago

Why grind them off? it's not a standard?

pre67vw wrote:

I was going to say it didnt have a full healiner after the work but cant find the bit where i saw it.had to edit
Standard split
15 years ago

Why grind them off:!:

Why, today does the car have an incomplete old headlining.

This was not a re-body.

The headliner clamps have been ground away to facilitate/make the repairs on the bent roof. If it were a straight body shell change these clamps would not need be touched, so why would they be, leaving no fixture for the headlining :?

This is the best quote on the whole of this thread (page 7) from Pre 67 himself:

I think we should leave the topic of whether or not the shell was replaced unless you KNOW it was or it wasn't. Just because someone read something once doesn't make it a fact, magazine articles are quite often inaccurate. I would think it would be fairly obvious looking at the underside of the repaired areas whether or not new sections were laid in or not.

And followed by this quote:

It's not that I don't believe it. The internet is in some ways the same as magazines - as soon as something is presented as fact then it makes its way into history as being fact. A lot of people seem to be believing the new shell story because of a magazine article and are now presenting it here as fact, and yet they weren't there and have maybe never even seen the car. I prefer my facts to have proof

I'm sure that its the original repaired body shell, and you JD, don't – that's it 😳

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sunroof53
15 years ago

Putting the split window into a later shell would certainly have been much easier and much less work than replacing the side in the original shell.

I still don't see anything I would consider 'proof' to support either story though. I'd like to see either the original shell with the side cut out, or the new shell with the rear window cut out.

I'm leaning towards the new shell theory, but only due to the lack of detail in the article - I kind of think that if it had some amazing bodywork done to the original shell they'd want to show it off a bit - but if they'd cheated then they'd want to be vague about it.

pre67vw wrote:

I need the may issue of 91.This is inbetwwen the "carveup" and the "coming together "Richard?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Argh! Damn! He used the wagging finger smiley on me!! Urgh!! (Clutches chest in overly melodramatic manner...)
I´m telling Rob on you!

No idea why those strips would be ground off. But why weld there even if you were working on the roof?
UserPostedImage
Sunroof53
15 years ago
I think the clamping strip is still there and hole for interior light is visible on the big picture ,previous page .Should a zwitter/1950 prototype shell:wink: have the light there.I thought they had them over the split window.i need to check.

pre67vw
15 years ago
It's so annoying when a quick look over the car would sort the argument out.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
15 years ago

What about the interior light ,or is that the other side ?they would have filled it on a later shell.

Sunroof53 wrote:

Interesting, in the large image it looks like you can see the interior light hole at the top. This isn't the side that got hit, so should it have that hole if that was part of the original shell? I can't say I know my zwitter details that well. :oops:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sunroof53
15 years ago

Interesting, in the large image it looks like you can see the interior light hole at the top. This isn't the side that got hit, so should it have that hole if that was part of the original shell?

pre67vw wrote:

Sorry i just edited my post so the quote wont make much sense to anyone else.
Sunroof53
15 years ago

Interesting, in the large image it looks like you can see the interior light hole at the top. This isn't the side that got hit, so should it have that hole if that was part of the original shell? I can't say I know my zwitter details that well. :oops:

pre67vw wrote:

first rectangular light in october 52
pre67vw
15 years ago

first rectangular light in october 52

Sunroof53 wrote:

OK, so that proves nowt then :?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sunroof53
15 years ago
I am not so sure even looking at the car would be proof unless you stripped the paint off.i think the pictures say it all .Is Baz haselock still in buisness?