54 Gertie
15 years ago

It certainly is, but it has to be being a Standard Split – pure People's Car :wink:

Standard split wrote:

Had no idea you felt that way Mr Standard Split!:wink: You hid that well!:lol: :beer:
William
dry&heavy
15 years ago

I hope that you know the history well, unless it is obviously original – original headlining and paint inside, especially around the rear window.:!:

There's a lot of oval dash splits around considering the short production run, and early ovals seem to becoming fewer:shock:

I personally would not touch a 'zwitter' with a barge pole unless it was a car I knew well::?

Standard split wrote:

have history and still in original paint which is chestnut brown never had any welding etc.. only thing missing/changed was the interior light which has a switch where the zwitter's just had a plain light whithout a switch but i can live with that
54 Gertie
15 years ago

have history and still in original paint which is chestnut brown never had any welding etc.. only thing missing/changed was the interior light which has a switch where the zwitter's just had a plain light whithout a switch but i can live with that

dry&heavy wrote:

Gorgeous Colour! :d Brown is the future!:wink:

Pictures?8)
William
Robin Allen
15 years ago
I look forward to seeing what happens to the '52 Standard at the start of this thread - by coincidence I was sorting out some old magazines last weekend and found that very edition. I must agree, I thought £20K way over the odds at the time - those wrong rear lights really spoil it. I also admit to feeling very smug - my little baby, XSV 432 (also 1952 Standard, unwelded, never been off chassis, with ORIGINAL engine, gearbox, upholstery and a very comprehensive history from new!)is still running. Yes, the wings have been replaced and I would dearly love some originals if anyone cares to donate some - I really couldn't afford the asking price IF any were ever to come up for sale nowadays. I paid £45 for it in 1970 - sold it for £525 in 1975 and bought it back for £2500 in 1990. The guy who owned it in between never even retaxed it or used it on the road! I often wonder what it's worth now (any suggestions?), but aside from insurance valuation, I don't care as it isn't for sale at any price! However, I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to take it for a good quality respray - 19 years after the last job the body is starting to show a few little scabs and defects.
JARV
15 years ago
Interesting reading all of the comments, the car is sat in my garage now and I'm really happy with it - and knew exactly what I was buying as I had sold it 20 years ago, just deciding my next step as it was an unexpected addition to my pre '67 collection (and drain on my funds) - I have already sourced some back lights , tyres next to make it legal(some 15" wheels were used for the MOT).

Not a lot I can do about the wings - never likely to find any correct one's I wouldn't have thought, Engine can be sorted for a correct 25HP when funds allow.

I'll probably take it to some local shows this year, Historic Meet at Cosford for one - but I really want to get it how I want it first.:wink:

'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'64 Karmann Beetle Cabriolet
'67 Camper (RHD)
'07 T5 175 LWB Window Van

Chris
15 years ago

I often wonder what it's worth now.......

Robin Allen wrote:

In the current financial climate I'll give you £39.87

I don't care as it isn't for sale at any price!

Robin Allen wrote:

Bollocks !!!!!

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
dry&heavy
15 years ago

Gorgeous Colour! :d Brown is the future!:wink:

Pictures?8)

54 Gertie wrote:

will add a pic soon
just got date back for my zwitter from germany from a nice lady called christine neefe
it turns out :d
model 11 C VW Sedan de Luxe
produced on 4 December 1952
delivered on 8 December 1952
delivered to Scania-Vabis, Södertälje, Sweden

plus a little info she sent as well
Following colour combinations were available for VW Sedan de Luxe in December 1952:
L 11 Pastel Green
L 73 Chestnut Brown
L 90 Sand
L 36 Azur Blue
L 41 Black

Yours sincerely
Christine Neefe
Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen
Dieselstraße 35
38446 Wolfsburg
Telefon 053 61- 92 50 14
Fax 053 61 - 5 20 10
Email [email protected]
GKL 7
15 years ago

Bollocks !!!!!

Chris wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Everything has it's price
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

will add a pic soon
just got date back for my zwitter from germany from a nice lady called christine neefe
it turns out :d
model 11 C VW Sedan de Luxe
produced on 4 December 1952
delivered on 8 December 1952
delivered to Scania-Vabis, Södertälje, Sweden

plus a little info she sent as well
Following colour combinations were available for VW Sedan de Luxe in December 1952:
L 11 Pastel Green
L 73 Chestnut Brown
L 90 Sand
L 36 Azur Blue
L 41 Black

Yours sincerely
Christine Neefe
Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen
Dieselstraße 35
38446 Wolfsburg
Telefon 053 61- 92 50 14
Fax 053 61 - 5 20 10
Email [email protected]

dry&heavy wrote:

Great stuff. We need pictures though. :lol:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Standard split
15 years ago

I don't care as it isn't for sale at any price!

A comment from someone very rich or very foolish:!:

1952 splits are the most numerous of the type in both Standard and Deluxe form. Now if it were a tidy 1939 model…:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
48REME
15 years ago

However, I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to take it for a good quality respray

Robin Allen wrote:

Well Robin, as nobody on this forum was able to help me on that matter, I'll tell you that I'm entrusting my baby to what seems to
be a reasonable and thorough guy in Suffolk, next month. If all goes well, I will forward you his details. Are you planning to get
it done before HO?
Nicolas.
GKL 7
15 years ago
Nic
Are you changing colour,seem to remember reading that was not the original colour of your car.
Thought that would be the only reason you may repaint.
Robin,only recomendations i could make would be too far for you to travel(would just bump the costs up)
55Kab
15 years ago

I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to take it for a good quality respray - 19 years after the last job the body is starting to show a few little scabs and defects.

Robin Allen wrote:

Only one place to go Robin, contact Gav at TQR and say I sent you!

https://www.trailerqueenrestos.com/ 

48REME
15 years ago

Nic
Are you changing colour,seem to remember reading that was not the original colour of your car.
Thought that would be the only reason you may repaint.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Hi George, happy New Year! Yes,that is the reason. A bit mad but I just won't be happy
until it's back to what it once was...:wink:
GKL 7
15 years ago
perfectionist:wink:

Know exactly what you mean.
All the Best,HNY.
P.S You've mastered the quote key:lol:
48REME
15 years ago

You've mastered the quote key:lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

It was one of my New Year's resolution!:d
JARV
15 years ago
Just thought I'd let you all know how things are going with the Split, the plan is to have it ready for Stanford Hall.

I have sourced most of the parts that I need including NOS rear lights, over riders, Glass,etc. etc. etc. Thanks to VW Garden, KK, Kafer Nostalgie and Splitparts unlimited for all the rare stuff that I needed.

I'll be leaving the wings as is but I have sourced the pressings for the rear so that the correct rear lights will be in the correct position.

The engine is now almost re-built with fresh powder coated tinware - I'll finish this over the weekend. The car goes in for paint tomorrow and should be ready in 5-6 weeks time all being well.

After doing some research and finding another August 52 Split the fuel tank is correct - whether they started the changeover of some parts before oct 52 we'll never know - so this tank will remain and I'm sure I will get asked about it from time to time.

One question which someone may be able to help with is that the spare wheel is pearl grey but with a 'salmon' coloured inner ring - it is the same on the other wheels but as you can see on the pics, they have been painted red at some stage - does anyone know what this colour is - it looks like factory finish but this is not documented anywhere, it is not shown as an option on the Birth Cert. so any info would be helpful.

I need to buy new tyres, North Hants sell both cross-ply and Radial - I'm planning to go with Cross ply to keep the correct look but there are mixed views on this any thoughts as to what would be best and safest - bearing in mind it won't be doing many miles.

I need to get some correct cloth for the door cards - herring bone grey - where would be the best place to get this from.

Cheers,

Phil.

PS - forgot to say - 'Retro Rob' is doing the work for me

'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'67 Camper (RHD)

harveypj
15 years ago

I need to buy new tyres, North Hants sell both cross-ply and Radial - I'm planning to go with Cross ply to keep the correct look but there are mixed views on this any thoughts as to what would be best and safest - bearing in mind it won't be doing many miles.

JARV wrote:

Radials are safest....cross ply are BEST......

I had exactly the same dilema...in the end I went for cross ply (firestones' from North Hants)
In truth they are awfull compaired o radials, but for occational use and sensible vintage driving I don't think they are dangerous. They are correct, look sooo good and all adds to the grin factor. Its the only way to go IMHO 😎

Stock......the new custom
Rhodrich
15 years ago
Nice to meet you on Tuesday Phil (I had the '51 at the Ace)

Looking forward to seeing your Standard in the flesh!

Cross plies are the only way to go - you can't get any radials that really fit the rims properly (the nearest radials - 550HR16 Michelins are far too big in my opinion). Nothing wrong with cross plies, so long as you understand their limitations, and don't drive like a loony.

Rhodri
JARV
15 years ago
Good to meet you, the '51 was looking good, liked the Judson -

The '52 resto is now well underway, should be ready for Stanford Hall:d
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'67 Camper (RHD)