48REME
15 years ago

One question which someone may be able to help with is that the spare wheel is pearl grey but with a 'salmon' coloured inner ring - it is the same on the other wheels but as you can see on the pics, they have been painted red at some stage - does anyone know what this colour is - it looks like factory finish but this is not documented anywhere, it is not shown as an option on the Birth Cert. so any info would be helpful.

JARV wrote:

Yes, the inner wheel rim would most probably have been coral red, with the outer being Pearl Grey as well as the hubcap. You may want to have a matching coral red waistline running on either side of the body, in the place where you would normally have aluminium trim on a Deluxe.
Here's a typical Standard from the same period as yours, although probably a 1950 or 1951 because of the fluted overriders which were superseded for a one year only type in 1952. I think the VW logo should also be in coral red as on this car and definitely the groove insert of the bumpers.:wink:  italiansplit.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
61 Devon
15 years ago
I read a thread on thesamba regarding re-manufacture of early wings.

I sent an e-mail to Gerson (Funky Green Panels), who confirmed he is having press tools manufactured.
He will not commit to date or price but said available mid year and all will be happy with the price.

No more details than this.
48REME
15 years ago
I forgot to add...if you need the paint reference for the coral red, just email either Christine Neefe ([email protected]) or Haike Fendler ([email protected]) at the VW museum in Wolfsburg. I am sure they can provide you with the code.
JARV
15 years ago
Thats great, thanks for your help with this, it should look good with the bumper detailing aswell.:d
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'64 Karmann Beetle Cabriolet
'67 Camper (RHD)
'07 T5 175 LWB Window Van

JARV
14 years ago
Nearly done, should be finished next week we were hoping for this weekend for the Historic meet but just too much to do.........

Will post some pics up soon:d
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'67 Camper (RHD)

48REME
14 years ago
Looking forward to it...Coming to Hessisch Oldendorf?
mrsherbie
14 years ago
I have always assumed the red to be early sealing wax red same as barndoor deluxes as it is the only red that was around at all from 51-? But I really dont know anything about your strange old standards :lol: And all the grey standard cars I have ever seen have all had a different red! :lol: Coral and sealing wax are so close though.

We have some rough og barndoor with sealing wax hubs, and I have an og 15" wheel same red hub dated 4/52! I must find a part in og coral to take a pic to compare as I know we have some bits.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
JARV
14 years ago
The red is very very similar to Sealing wax , but a shade lighter - Dave at Haywood Custom and classics got it matched up for me as I've still got the spare which was in the original 'coral' colour. this has the original tyre on it aswell so will clean it up and keep it as the spare.

Not going to Hessisch Oldendorf as will be at EBI the following week and couldn't justify the extra time off work at the moment.:(

Won't be taking the split to EBI though!

'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'67 Camper (RHD)

GKL 7
14 years ago
I think there was two versions of coral red.One in the split years and another for ovals 55/56ish.
By comments and posts on various forums, it would appear the two corals were of a slightly different hue.
JARV
14 years ago
'52 Update.....

Nearly there now, just waiting on replacement rear light (my one concession is 6v Leds behind original lights - much safer) , window rubbers (1st ones I bought were not good!), engine runs really nice and smooth. Wheels, bumpers and hub caps all detailed in coral, will be getting the side stripe in coral as per original. then ready for a few shows.

Pictures soon......:d
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'67 Camper (RHD)

JARV
14 years ago
A couple of pics of the car now finished - taken prior to pinstripes down sides......  IMG_0055.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0056.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0058.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0068.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0069.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0070.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'67 Camper (RHD)

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Phil,

That really is looking so nice- well done!! I sincerely hope I will be invited out for a spin next time I'm up there in sunny Shropshire :wink:

All the best,
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
64rotbox
14 years ago
Lovely.
You can call me Al.
55Kab
14 years ago
Looking really, really nice now. Great job Phil.

48REME
14 years ago
Absolutely gorgeous...a peach! So pretty you almost want to eat it! ...Sorry, just getting a bit carried away there.
I really can't wait to see it, well done:d :d :d
69project
14 years ago
wow :shock:
Car less.....
Standard split
14 years ago
Remember this car belonging to 'Mr Beetle' at Norwich many years ago:o

He valued it at a mad £20k:!:

It's certainly much nearer to that value now – well done the car's great, and my favourite model too, a grey split-window Standard :beer:

A tads shiny though :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
55Kab
14 years ago
Anyway forget all that, what I want to know is how you managed to get your wife on her hands and knees in order to clean the headlights of your car ^^^^^^ :lol: :lol:

Standard split
14 years ago

Anyway forget all that, what I want to know is how you managed to get your wife on her hands and knees in order to clean the headlights of your car ^^^^^^ :lol: :lol:

55Kab wrote:

She's not my wife :shock: Lovely curvy rear, and the VW's :beer:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JARV
14 years ago
Thanks everyone, few pics from under the front....

Semaphore switch upside down - will sort at weekend!:wink:

Original under bonnet card - tank been replaced at some stage but a long time ago - original spare wheel with original tyre  IMG_0081.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0075.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0082.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
'52 Standard Split
'56 Fire Bus
'58 Deluxe Beetle (RHD)
'67 Camper (RHD)