adi #2
  • adi #2
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
One of the biggest problems of the humble 6v system, is that people dont know how to look after it well, and i think thats a very big reason why people have the opinion of them being 'weak' etc. But i think, if there are strange people here like me who want to stick to 6v for no logical reason, then read on. I hope my experiences will help others who have less experience with electrics to have a safer, better car without switching to 12v.

When running at night, everything adds up. You have to remember that at 6v:

a) everything takes twice the current of 12v

b) bulbs are not as efficient because of the properties of filament wire used, so they have to be higher wattage to be as bright as the equivalent 12v wattage

c) losses are higher, because current is higher and voltage is lower, resistance of wires, contacts, fuses, switches etc plays a much bigger part in messing up how the system works.

But it is very easy to fix it, and especially if your car has an old wiring system that hasnt been touched much, like most of these 6v cars have i guess.

You will need:

Wet and dry or emery cloth

Silicone based contact grease (not normal grease or vaseline!). Its expensive, but you dont need that much. You will find it at your local auto parts store, and especially motorbike parts store.

Thats basically it!

All you do is, start from somewhere, and disconnect every connection, clean it with the wet and dry, apply some contact grease, and reconnect it. I would do one connection at a time if you dont know the vw wiring system inside out, if you disconnect, clean and reconnect one at a time, thers no way you can go wrong.

General tips:

Remember the headlight earths on the inner wings at the front. Take the screws out, and clean the terminal itself, AND the patch of inner wing thats directly under it, to bare metal. Also clean up the screw. Cover the patch of metal, the screw, and the terminal, with the contact grease, and reassemble. On the one side, its awkward because sometimes the earth screw is right next to the fuel filler, so you cannot get to it with a screwdriver, you need a screwdriver bit in a ratchet socket driver, for example, or a flexible screwdriver drive.

Remember the fuses! Clean up the fuse holders, completely to shiny bare metal, and also roll some wet and dry into a tube and poke it through the hole in the fuse holder, as thats where most of the contact is. Also clean up the bases of the fuses with the wet and dry too. Cover with contact grease and put fuses back in.

If you are feeling bored, remember the terminal where the battery and main power cable connect to the starter motor.

For spade connectors, make sure you clean the male spade to bare metal, but also that you clean the inside of the female spade. This can be fiddly, but you can do it with folded up wet and dry.

Once you do this, you may find that your 6v system works better, and once more, since you applied the contact grease, it will protect it for a very long time, so it would be unnecessary to ever do this again probably.

So...thats it! Hope its useful to someone.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrmagyar
15 years ago
Hi,
Nicely written article and very informative! I didn't know about silicone contact grease so I'm off to buy some today. I've got some twin filament conversions for the heart tail-lights to fit to my '55 over the Christmas break and I'm renewing all the the cables at the same time so the grease will come in handy to keep everything tickety boo.
Cheers,
Andy.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Hi,
I've got some twin filament conversions for the heart tail-lights to fit to my '55
Andy.

mrmagyar wrote:

We got some of those for our 55, do you plan on using the orange heart lenses or the standard red ones?

We are using the red ones for the the flasher and because we are on 6v, you can barely see them!:twisted:
William
mrmagyar
15 years ago
Hello :d ,
I'm keeping the red heart lenses. I'll have the standard tail-lights for night-time use but when I brake the twin filament tail-light bulbs will illuminate as well as the heart so in effect when I brake I'll have four brake-lights. That should be enough to stop somebody running into the back of me!

1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Ahhh!

We have the top heart lense as a indicator (with a red lense!) and the bottom oval as stop and tail!

We cant stand motocycle indicator units but the flasher in the heart is barely visible in the day time!

Cheers!
William
mrmagyar
15 years ago
I agree about the motorcycle indicators perched on the bumpers but I think they're essential in this day and age. The heart lens is neither use nor ornament really no matter what colour lens it has! It would be good if somebody came up with some wireless indicators which could be clipped on before a show trip and then shoved in the glovebox when you get there :d
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
15 years ago
We have mounted a pair of large motorcycle indicators behind the horn grills in the front and these work very well, shame the horns facing backwards!

It cant be to hard to mount a pair of removable rear flashers somewhere that can be seen, but that can also be removed when you get to a show! :? :?:
William
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

It would be good if somebody came up with some wireless indicators which could be clipped on before a show trip and then shoved in the glovebox when you get there :d

mrmagyar wrote:

That's a bloody great idea!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
adi #2
  • adi #2
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Can somebody explain the problems with the heart-lamp thing you are talking about? The oldest car iv ever owned is this 66, so i dont know about earlier ones.

Why are these heart-lamps so bad for indicating?

by the way happy new year from paris.
mrmagyar
15 years ago
Bonne année!
Each rear light is in two parts. The top heart shaped lens illuminates only when you brake. The oval shaped rearwards facing lens only illuminates when you have your lights on. The trouble is the heart lens points upwards which is bad enough but added to dim six volt electrics it renders them almost invisible to anybody behind you. Neither light has anything to do with indicating as the semaphore arms take care of that.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Can somebody explain the problems with the heart-lamp thing you are talking about? The oldest car iv ever owned is this 66, so i dont know about earlier ones.

Why are these heart-lamps so bad for indicating?

by the way happy new year from paris.

adi #2 wrote:

The heart lamp of the lights is, as standard used as a brake light. The oval shaped lense is used for the tail lights.

People have made brackets recently that allows the top heart lamp to be used as an indicator and the bottom oval lamp for the stop AND tail!

This is what its like as standard!

UserPostedImage
William
GKL 7
15 years ago
Grooved bumpers and heart tail lights - Something wrong there.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Grooved bumpers and heart tail lights - Something wrong there.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Early Zwitter:?: :?: :?: :?: :?
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
The whole car is a bit of a hodge podge! They are probably just on there because they look cool!

UserPostedImage
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago
From the Old Bug website........

In any case back to the car itself...it is downright impressive in all regards.
Its a "zwitter" model, one of the mid year transistional cars built between the split window
anfd oval window era. These cars are pretty rare and feature some unique attributes.
As far as authenticity wise issues, there has been some mild deviations from original
in the trim and accessories, but seeing as it's a custom car, those rules just dont apply.
As an example of this, the bumpers and license plate light are from an earlier model split...
but this all adds to the cool factor of the car in my opinion.

William
GKL 7
15 years ago

They are probably just on there because they look cool!

54 Gertie wrote:

NAH! That POS doesn't look cool.:lol:
54 Gertie
15 years ago

NAH! That POS doesn't look cool.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Im not a big fan of cars like that but I do like grooved bumpers, however ideally on a car that should have them!

In the quote in my last post the guy from Old Bug does say that some parts are incorrect for a Zwitter!
William
adi #2
  • adi #2
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
That sounds pretty interasting actually. I can see how one of these heart light lenses could be adapted for use with LED's so that the oval portion gives you effective brake/side lights like you said and the top half is used as an indicator, i think good results can be achieved with this. 6v bulbs arnt great at the best of times. I think with brake lights, its more of an issue that it takes them a long time to warm up. Once they get warmed up, their light output is ok. But it takes a second or two from when you slam your foot down. What bulb fittings are they by the way? Perhaps even with ordinery lamps but of a different kind?

Does anyone happen to have a photo of a disassembled light cluster using these kinds of lights? is it the usual metal light holder, then a metal reflector, then a lense bolted on top of that, like my 66 lights? only of course different shape and with theat extra heart lamp? It would be cool to see detiels of how they are made.