mrsherbie
15 years ago
So I jump out of bed when I hear the postman and take my latest magazine back to bed with a fresh cup of tea for a good read :d
But I nearly spilled my tea!
WHAT IS GOING ON?
Did I miss something? I thought the Historic Club liked to promote stock 6v cars? Not promote modifications?

I get really annoyed by some things.
When working/maintained well, 6V IS GREAT. Lets not forget that our splits have been on the road for nearly 60years now and managed perfectly well on 6v the whole time! :twisted:

We have a couple of 6v cars that start immediately on the button and have no problems being 6v at all, especially the 356! The only downside IS driving at night in the rain maybe with the radio on too :lol: But lets be honest how often do you really do this in your pre53, as refered to in the article, once a year?? if that, lets be honest.

Aside from, for example going rallying/motorsport, I have noticed that the only stock people who moan about their 6v have never owned or driven a good running 6v car with a well maintained electrical system, so it is not the car's fault!

The feature about the black beetle was superb, a great read, really makes me want to do something fun in a beetle too :d

I love what the Historic Club stands for, and appreciate that magazine content is required and no I dont contribute, but I was surprised and also disappointed to find one of the feeble excuses used was convenience of 12v parts & bulbs etc..

Grrr.

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
15 years ago
Hmm, I might need to find a copy of that :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

The only downside IS driving at night in the rain maybe with the radio on too

mrsherbie wrote:

Fit 6V Halogens.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Hmm, I might need to find a copy of that :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

Actually you might :wink: :lol:
volkfan
15 years ago
Before i liked full originals cars, and wanted to keep my 6 volt.
in a way, i still want to. But,

in another hand now... i think i have too many troubles to start all the time.
it's too poor today. and what do you think about parts availability ?? quite NO Nos 6 volts parts are avalable except fews in germany.

Today, im not able to find a starter for my 64 for example. do you have one for sale ? :-)

6 volts is "always good" from people but nobody's really talk about the troubles to drive and maintain the car, to find parts etc.

and im not agree with you. 6 volts makes finally (and after 10 years of owning a 6 volts)
the cars more sensible to fail all the time.

May 64 , small windows beetle, sea blue, mint original condition.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
I can imagine it being hard if you canΒ΄t find spare parts. Do you really have nowhere to get what you need? Surely you can order parts from the internet easily enough?
UserPostedImage
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Our otherwise healthy 6v Beetle 'ran out of battery' today after a handful of short runs over the weekend to/from the campsite water tap, the local beer shop and the show & shine.

I'm happy to accept that this is a 'feature' of 6v and not a problem; would anyone care to disagree? πŸ˜‰
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Etzhold1
15 years ago

Before i liked full originals cars, and wanted to keep my 6 volt.
in a way, i still want to. But,

in another hand now... i think i have too many troubles to start all the time.
it's too poor today. and what do you think about parts availability ?? quite NO Nos 6 volts parts are avalable except fews in germany.

Today, im not able to find a starter for my 64 for example. do you have one for sale ? :-)

6 volts is "always good" from people but nobody's really talk about the troubles to drive and maintain the car, to find parts etc.

and im not agree with you. 6 volts makes finally (and after 10 years of owning a 6 volts)
the cars more sensible to fail all the time.
Post a picture from your original starter and I'll look if I can help you , I have here at least 50 starters and most of them are 6 Volt !

Guido

volkfan wrote:

mrsherbie
15 years ago

Our otherwise healthy 6v Beetle 'ran out of battery' today after a handful of short runs over the weekend to/from the campsite water tap, the local beer shop and the show & shine.

I'm happy to accept that this is a 'feature' of 6v and not a problem; would anyone care to disagree? ;-)

tman wrote:

I used to use my 63 daily in NZ to drive just 2 miles to work and back every day with no problem in 8yrs. I know a 52 that is driven regularly.

This is the general misconception. Trouble is, you only realise this when you own a car with A1 electrics. I think the 6v system can fall more easily to minor problems and therefore gets blamed instantly when things go wrong.

Parts are a bit harder to find agreed but never impossible. But then they are cars over 40yrs old, so of course it will be slightly more of a challenge.

I know nothing about electrics but I have been amazed since a friend Simon got my 50 (with original wiring) going, and it jumps to life on the button! :shock: No I dont know how he did it, but now the 356 does it also :d

I know plenty(most) of the Historic guys are running 6v cars and have been doing so for many years, therefore I was just disappointed to read an article in the club magazine written by someone who it seems to me must have far less knowledge or experience to make the comments in the article.

Especially refering to a car coming up to 60 years old :roll: How did he think it got around for the last 50+ years?... :roll:
six-o-one
15 years ago
Sounds like someone needs to submit an article about maintaining 6 volt electrics!
:wink:

pre67vw
15 years ago
I converted my cabrio over to 12v about 10 years ago and kind of regret it. There are probably more benefits to 12v than 6v, things like getting jump starts from people, or running stereos and GPS's etc., but
I can't say my lights were any brighter, still drove around on full beams with nobody ever flashing me!! I'm sure I'd have been better off making sure the lights were nicely silvered. I totally agree that it's an odd article for the Historic club to run, next month it's how to fit a narrowed front beam. :d
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I converted my cabrio over to 12v about 10 years ago and kind of regret it. There are probably more benefits to 12v than 6v, things like getting jump starts from people, or running stereos and GPS's etc., but
I can't say my lights were any brighter, still drove around on full beams with nobody ever flashing me!! I'm sure I'd have been better off making sure the lights were nicely silvered. I totally agree that it's an odd article for the Historic club to run, next month it's how to fit a narrowed front beam. :d

pre67vw wrote:

Jump starts? Just give it the full 12volts and watch it go! I ran a 6v starter for years on 12 volts. It killed the flywheel in the end, but hey - whos counting.

Even if 6v does gove you trouble, there arenΒ΄t so many cars apart from Beetles that you can bump start by yourself, at approximately walking pace.
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
15 years ago

Jump starts? Just give it the full 12volts and watch it go! I ran a 6v starter for years on 12 volts. It killed the flywheel in the end, but hey - whos counting.

JD wrote:

The start can handle it OK for years, but you'll have to keep replacing your blown oil/gen warning bulbs... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

The start can handle it OK for years, but you'll have to keep replacing your blown oil/gen warning bulbs... :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

Oh, the other bits of the car were 12v. Well, some of them. Stopped the horn sounding like it had a lisp at least!
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
15 years ago

I converted my cabrio over to 12v about 10 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

And you're going to jack up your Oval.
[-x 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳
Come the day,you are going to have to answer some very serious questions.:wink:
pre67vw
15 years ago

And you're going to jack up your Oval.
[-x 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳
Come the day,you are going to have to answer some very serious questions.:wink:

'50 Karmann wrote:

:lol: :lol: Nobody really cares about 60's cabrio's or ratty old ovals. :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Absolutely nothing wrong with 6V electrics, I have driven several 6V cars all year round when I was younger (like my creature comforts a bit more now but do miss a beetle as a daily) I say if you want a 12V car buy a 67> model.

Also call for the chairmans head, shocking :d
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Absolutely nothing wrong with 6V electrics, I have driven several 6V cars all year round when I was younger (like my creature comforts a bit more now but do miss a beetle as a daily) I say if you want a 12V car buy a 67> model.

Also call for the chairmans head, shocking :d

nev wrote:

Agreed Kev.

Nothing wrong with 6v electrics. Surely it is blasphemous (and possibly even illegal) for Rob to suggest than running a pre-67 on 12v is ok.

Rich (6v).

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
15 years ago
I'm hanging with the Baja crew now, can't be bothered with all this stock stuff anymore... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
crazydaze
15 years ago

So I jump out of bed when I hear the postman and take my latest magazine back to bed with a fresh cup of tea for a good read :d
But I nearly spilled my tea!
WHAT IS GOING ON?
Did I miss something? I thought the Historic Club liked to promote stock 6v cars? Not promote modifications?

I get really annoyed by some things.
When working/maintained well, 6V IS GREAT. Lets not forget that our splits have been on the road for nearly 60years now and managed perfectly well on 6v the whole time! :twisted:

We have a couple of 6v cars that start immediately on the button and have no problems being 6v at all, especially the 356! The only downside IS driving at night in the rain maybe with the radio on too :lol: But lets be honest how often do you really do this in your pre53, as refered to in the article, once a year?? if that, lets be honest.

Aside from, for example going rallying/motorsport, I have noticed that the only stock people who moan about their 6v have never owned or driven a good running 6v car with a well maintained electrical system, so it is not the car's fault!

The feature about the black beetle was superb, a great read, really makes me want to do something fun in a beetle too :d

I love what the Historic Club stands for, and appreciate that magazine content is required and no I dont contribute, but I was surprised and also disappointed to find one of the feeble excuses used was convenience of 12v parts & bulbs etc..

Grrr.

mrsherbie wrote:

I really can't see what the problem is??? If people want a historic VW with 12v here is an article that responsibly shows how to achieve it. As has been said, if the vast majority of people are running 6v then it may be an article of interest or not, but they will make up there own mind as to wether they may convert their cars. I can't imagine every member of the club will now convert to 12v as a result of one interest article in the club magazine? :shock: In the same way that people reading the interesting article on the 'home trials/rally' bug are going to go out and drill spotlamps into te roofs of their cars? :lol:

It's an article of interest in another fine issue of an informitive club magazine.

Alex.