Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Could well be but wouldn't you expect there to be different M codes for RHD Standards?
which have different mirrors, floor mats, pedal cluster etc!

:?

VW Stan wrote:

Good point Malc.

Do these M008 and M108 codes ever show up on LHD car's certificates? I haven't owned many LHD cars.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
VW Stan
15 years ago

Good point Malc.

Do these M008 and M108 codes ever show up on LHD car's certificates? I haven't owned many LHD cars.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Sound like a a good one for 48REME...

What are the M codes on your LHD Std?

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
54 Gertie
15 years ago

My RHD 58 Deluxe has M008 and M108, also 'cannot be identified'

My car has a locking decklid handle, I have been told this may not have been a standard spec and was an optional extra. None of my other M codes relate to this....could it be 008 or 108, anyone else got a lockable 'T' handle?

harveypj wrote:

Have literally this morning had our RHD UK 55s certificate from wolfsburg and guess what.......

M008, M108 cannot be identified:evil:

Our cars T handle is the non locking type and im sure it original due to the fact that we have all the invoices for all the parts on it! from the mid/late 50s to when it was stored in 87 and it is not on there as being replaced!

BTW what is a M018, large reflector in brake/indicator light? Ive seen it on German, swedish, Belgian, usa and UK cars, what is it?

Also it says "colour-not mentioned"????????? Im sure it was originally texas brown due to pictures of it in original apint in the 70s and the fact that we have the original semaphores (in bits:evil: ) but in og paint! Just wondering if this is common?
William
mrmagyar
15 years ago
Hi,
The Birth Certificate for my '55, apart from the unidentified M 008 and M 108, also states 'colour not mentioned'. Maybe in those days they didn't make a note of the colour of the car. The engine number isn't given either, it just states '30hp, 1,2 litre'.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Wolfsburg must have been busy sending out Birth Certificates as I've received one today as well. This is for a 1959 Deluxe built on 1st July. The certificate lists M020 - mph speedometer and then all unknown - 008, 042, 108, 135, 600.
Now this car was originally ordered with a passenger sun visor and a front antiroll bar as extras and these are listed on the original invoice. Would these two be the M135 and M600??
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Wolfsburg must have been busy sending out Birth Certificates as I've received one today as well. This is for a 1959 Deluxe built on 1st July. The certificate lists M020 - mph speedometer and then all unknown - 008, 042, 108, 135, 600.
Now this car was originally ordered with a passenger sun visor and a front antiroll bar as extras and these are listed on the original invoice. Would these two be the M135 and M600??

RoRoVw wrote:

Hi Rob!:d

On ours M042 is "complies with british markets regulations"

I suppose all UK cars had this! :wink:

I asked if we could be told the original engine number but she said that because of data protection they could not tell me, they said that if I supplied them with a number that I thought be the original that they would confirm it for me! I only found the original number after they had done the research!:roll: :evil:

So on ours it just say under engine "30 DIN-PS, 1.2 Liter"
William
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Hi Will,
Thanks for that. Strange how they know a code for one car and don't know the same one for another. Doh!
Rob
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
One of the problems with obtaining information for the birth certificates is that they are apparently still reading the information from the original ledgers, which are getting fragile. On at least three occasions now, I've heard that people have not been able to get data on their car because of the poor condition of the original factory documents. This may be why 'colour not known' appears on some certificates.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
I've just checked my 59's birth certificate and it also has M135 not identified (as well as M008, M042 and M108). My car did not come with a passenger sunvisor though and had a non-locking T-handle.
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Oh well it was just a thought. Thanks for that. Perhaps it's a strange code peculiar to Garnet Red cars only!
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Oh well it was just a thought. Thanks for that. Perhaps it's a strange code peculiar to Garnet Red cars only!

RoRoVw wrote:

Have you bought Tim's car by any chance??
54 Gertie
15 years ago

RoRoVw wrote:

Oooooh Garnet Red!:beer: One of my goals in life to own a Garnet 58 rhd uk bug (im not picky or anything:lol: )

Pictures, pictures, pictures!8) :wink:
William
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Yes it was Tim's car.
Virtually the longest journey it's made was the 286 miles from Portsmouth back to Yorkshire in torrential rain all the way. At least it kept it clean underneath!  327 LPJ.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Yes it was Tim's car.
Virtually the longest journey it's made was the 286 miles from Portsmouth back to Yorkshire in torrential rain all the way. At least it kept it clean underneath!

RoRoVw wrote:

One of my favourite cars of all time! That car inspired me to go out and find a RHD British Garnet Red car. I searched for ages before buying mine in 1997. Not many RHD Garnets left.
54 Gertie
15 years ago
I've always loved that one!:d :beer:
William
RoRoVw
15 years ago
No there don't seem to be many Garnet Reds out there.
I've bought the car in co-ownership with another local enthusiast. It will certainly be seen out and about at shows this year, probably starting with Stanford Hall. We've a few mechanical jobs to do on it before it travels any distance again but hopefully we can sort the problems out fairly quickly.
The comprehensive history files are compulsive reading. Every journey between collection from Colbornes in Ripley in 1959 and the original owners selling it to Tim in 1988 are logged in two books. I've managed to cross reference journeys the car made in 1960 with meetings of the VWOCGB reported in early copies of 'Beetling' magazine proving that the car was actually at the meetings. I'm sure more will emerge as I read on!
Ovalbug
15 years ago

I asked if we could be told the original engine number but she said that because of data protection they could not tell me, they said that if I supplied them with a number that I thought be the original that they would confirm it for me! I only found the original number after they had done the research!:roll: :evil:

So on ours it just say under engine "30 DIN-PS, 1.2 Liter"

54 Gertie wrote:

I had a similar experience when getting the Birth Certificate for my '53; knew the factory engine number as the 25bhp lump is still with the car but didn't include it with my application as assumed they would list it :roll: .
Certificate arrived with engine number not included , so I re-emailed the AutoMuseum giving them the number and they sent a revised BC out straight away :d .
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
harveypj
15 years ago
I found out about the engine / data protection thing before I sent of for my cert.
If you give them your engine number a covering letter will come with your cert.
Mine reads after a paragraph of blurb explaining the data protection issue;
your car with chassis number # ### ###
has the original engine number ### ###

not sure how it would read if it were not the original engine tho?

:idea: Maybe its time Rob added M codes to the 'numbers/codes' section.

Stock......the new custom
IN2VWS
15 years ago

I've just checked my 59's birth certificate and it also has M135 not identified (as well as M008, M042 and M108). My car did not come with a passenger sunvisor though and had a non-locking T-handle.

Rich Oakley wrote:

M135 = Leatherette seats.
harveypj
15 years ago

M135 = Leatherette seats.

IN2VWS wrote:

I have M079 'Upholstery leatherette instead of material'

colour (L334 firn blue) is marked with a *
then at the very bottom of the cert * Upholstery leatherette Blue Grey

What colour is your car / interior?
Stock......the new custom