54 Gertie
15 years ago

I have M079 'Upholstery leatherette instead of material'

harveypj wrote:

Same! Our interior is the brown vinyl type that you get in Ultramaroon, texas brown, black and a few others!

Will
William
Bally
15 years ago

One of the problems with obtaining information for the birth certificates is that they are apparently still reading the information from the original ledgers, which are getting fragile. On at least three occasions now, I've heard that people have not been able to get data on their car because of the poor condition of the original factory documents. This may be why 'colour not known' appears on some certificates.

Rich Oakley wrote:

My December '55 car is one of those that they couldn't date for me as the micro fiche was disintegrating "we are not able to research the data of your car because the micro fish regarding the chassis number of your car is crumbling and illegible"

I was wondering if any of the 55 Birth Certificates coming through this week are for December 55 and if that therefore means they have managed to resolve this issue? Can anyone confirm or deny they have had a Dec 55 BC please?

I'm pretty sure my car was Inca red when new (someone has written it in ink on the old reg document from when it was imported in 66) but it has had at least two resprays since then so I cannot be completely sure. I'd like to get it back to its original colour some day...

Thanks,

Dave
IN2VWS
15 years ago

I have M079 'Upholstery leatherette instead of material'

colour (L334 firn blue) is marked with a *
then at the very bottom of the cert * Upholstery leatherette Blue Grey

What colour is your car / interior?

harveypj wrote:

That is also correct. In the 1950's and early 1960's, M079, M104, M134 and M135 were leatherette options for sedans. M909 and M918 were leatherette options for verts.

https://www.in2vws.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=44 
This list is far from complete, but it only contains proven correct M codes for pre 67 cars. I have also listed the source for each entry on that page.
I am sure the VW Museum has the correct info, but they don't know where to look, or are too lazy to look. Shit....If I can find them in my VW literature, surely the museum can find them. I am sure their library is 10 or 100 times larger than mine.
A lot of the M codes the museum gives for 1950's and 1960's VW's, is taken from a 1973 VW publication that lists the current M codes of that time, and they are not applicable to the early cars.

John

VW Stan
15 years ago
I now know what M 063 is!

It's the code for the Jupiter grey imitation leather material on UK Standards which replaces the cloth found on Domestic standards!

Tick that one off the list!

L225.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Now that's really interesting. Thanks for sharing that piece of information.
Excellent!

That sheet also shows that the carpet in the front was a different shade from the one in the luggage area - something which you commented on when you photographed my car at the NEC.
VW Stan
15 years ago

Now that's really interesting. Thanks for sharing that piece of information.
Excellent!

That sheet also shows that the carpet in the front was a different shade from the one in the luggage area - something which you commented on when you photographed my car at the NEC.

RoRoVw wrote:

Yep, seems deluxe 58s had different colour carpets front and back as well which I never knew!
:d

15575.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Yes and 1959 too. The Garnet Red Deluxe which I and a friend have recently bought has very obviously different carpet shades front and back.