Rich Oakley
11 years ago
Of all the 'original UK vintage VW enthusiasts' above, I wonder who if any today remain on the scene other than Jim Murray?

D.Smith- Derek died quite a while back.
Colbourne's Garages- Peter is still around (son of John Colbourne Baber)
Jim Murray- Very alive indeed!
Rod Sleigh- Certainly alive and one day, he will restore that early car, honestly! 😛
Tony Levy- Died about 10 years ago.
J. Miller- Alive, but in exile.
Robin Arkle- no idea about Robin.
Tom Dobson- Died about 15 years ago.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Jollychuffy
11 years ago
How Many Are Left ? On The Scene ? How many of them still own the same cars today ?
I am but I've suffered the quite understandable "Fancy your car is still on the road !" when you know that really the sentiment was " I didn't know you were still alive "!
I was sad when speaking to Jim Murray long before Christmas that he no longer owns a VW and was even unsure of the fate of his Split with the 1948 VW registration sold in Ireland.
I have been given great help recently by Rod Sleigh in getting digital transfers of 35mm film negatives and slides and would be happy to forward copies of pictures I took when I owned the 1956 Oval I still have ( from 1964) and two splits.
I have images of five splits at a Historic meeting at Federated Garages in 1975 and several cars present at Action 76 ( ? ) in Stafford. I'll list a few registrations that I am sure will relate to known cars/owners. 42 BYA, SLH 16, MRT 308, TJJ 62, GT VW 53, 396 AKJ, KS-VW-42, OOR 554, VYX 41, LAL 23, 1948 VW, 1956 VW, GGL 543, 396 LKJ, PXF 630, DAR 977K, NYN 98E, SWJ 828L, RMY 827F, KET 691, 54 DRB, UAE 467T, 547 BTE, VBH 577 and a few more.
Next move hopefully will be transfer of 8mm cine onto DVD ! For now, though, I can cope with the technology of sending e-mails and attachments if anyone wishes.
John aka Jollychuffy
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

How Many Are Left ? On The Scene ? How many of them still own the same cars today ?
I am but I've suffered the quite understandable "Fancy your car is still on the road !" when you know that really the sentiment was " I didn't know you were still alive "!
I was sad when speaking to Jim Murray long before Christmas that he no longer owns a VW and was even unsure of the fate of his Split with the 1948 VW registration sold in Ireland.
I have been given great help recently by Rod Sleigh in getting digital transfers of 35mm film negatives and slides and would be happy to forward copies of pictures I took when I owned the 1956 Oval I still have ( from 1964) and two splits.
I have images of five splits at a Historic meeting at Federated Garages in 1975 and several cars present at Action 76 ( ? ) in Stafford. I'll list a few registrations that I am sure will relate to known cars/owners. 42 BYA, SLH 16, MRT 308, TJJ 62, GT VW 53, 396 AKJ, KS-VW-42, OOR 554, VYX 41, LAL 23, 1948 VW, 1956 VW, GGL 543, 396 LKJ, PXF 630, DAR 977K, NYN 98E, SWJ 828L, RMY 827F, KET 691, 54 DRB, UAE 467T, 547 BTE, VBH 577 and a few more.
Next move hopefully will be transfer of 8mm cine onto DVD ! For now, though, I can cope with the technology of sending e-mails and attachments if anyone wishes.
John aka Jollychuffy

Jollychuffy wrote:

Great post John. I am sure we would all love to see your recently scanned images.

Jim's old '48 is alive and well in Northern Ireland.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago

Great post John. I am sure we would all love to see your recently scanned images.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Yes please! :beer:
www.vwoval.co.uk
pre67vw
11 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

I'd be happy to post up on a new thread if you email them over to me. :beer:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Jollychuffy if you need any help with the transfer of 8mm to dvd i know some one who dose it. If you want i can P/M you his details.

Andy W
Old Blue
11 years ago

Of all the 'original UK vintage VW enthusiasts' above, I wonder who if any today remain on the scene other than Jim Murray?

D.Smith- Derek died quite a while back.
Colbourne's Garages- Peter is still around (son of John Colbourne Baber)
Jim Murray- Very alive indeed!
Rod Sleigh- Certainly alive and one day, he will restore that early car, honestly! 😛
Tony Levy- Died about 10 years ago.
J. Miller- Alive, but in exile.
Robin Arkle- no idea about Robin.
Tom Dobson- Died about 15 years ago.

Rich Oakley wrote:

I think Robin Arkle was the guy that owned a blue Hebmuller. If correct, then I think he passed away many years ago at a reasonably young age.

Just three left, Jim Murray, John Miller and Rod Sleigh, makes you think. Their cars have more than doubled in age. Where's the VW buff Bob Shaill in all this, I think that he was also one of the UK Vintage VW Pioneers. He's certainly still active.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
pre67vw
11 years ago
A bit of a thread hijack going on here, lets keep this thread about LOW 514 and someone can start a new thread to talk about the old days.

Thanks. :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Old Blue
11 years ago

A bit of a thread hijack going on here, lets keep this thread about LOW 514 and someone can start a new thread to talk about the old days.

Thanks. :beer:

pre67vw wrote:

Sorry boss, you're right, it should really be in the 'Those early UK VW shows' thread in General Chat.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
pre67vw
11 years ago

I'd be happy to post up on a new thread if you email them over to me. :beer:

pre67vw wrote:

Here's the new thread... 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
11 years ago
Its good to see such progress on LOW Julian, the car holds so many memories for me.

Try not to 'wipe the whole canvas blank'. Every scuff or scrape has a story behind it.:wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JULIANROBINSON
11 years ago
So the story of the (original?) engine? Well, I couldn't wait to take a look... I know the engine was taken out in 1980 ish and had a broken front pulley, and the chances were that it wasn't the original one to the car as the car was already 27 years old by this stage... but what if it was? so I took a trip to Surrey to rummage in a shed with Andrew at his parents house... to find an engine that was put into storage 33 years ago!

This is the view inside the door of the shed...

UserPostedImage

But its not that engine.. its the one to the left of it...

UserPostedImage

This one...

UserPostedImage

Sadly... its from a 1955 I think we decided?... its a 30 hp engine... an obvious upgrade back in the day... 30 hp when you had 25 was a massive power increase...

UserPostedImage

Thank you Andrew for letting me come rummage in the sheds and grab it... it is disappointing that its not the original engine... but a great bit of history and another part of the cars "life" ... Thank you and nice to meet you properly.

www.vwoval.co.uk