Bjoern
  • Bjoern
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
...and defintly the wrong Forum - but I have no idea where I can ask for help. A few weeks ago, I havo bought mysels Britains answer to the Volkswagen microbus. A Morris J2 pickup. It was also built as a Austin J2.The car is in a good, nonrestaured shape because it was stocked in a dry barn. The main problem is, that you can find no informations or parts for this car here in Germany. I have found the adress of the official J2-Registry in Internet, but I never got any answer. Could anybody help me with information or the name of a good shop where I can get the parts for it. In my opinium, all technical stuff is the regular stuff of the BMC-parts-pool. Thanks for help!

PS: Please note that the steeringwheel is on the right left side ;-)

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
dubrockers
15 years ago
i would say commer was more the uk version of the microbus  IMG_4726.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
That is probably about the last one of these left in the world. I think all the ones in the UK rusted away by about 1965. I can´t remember having ever seen one even as a van, so the pick up will be a lot more rare.

You could try Speedy Spares. If they don´t have parts they may know someone...

https://www.speedyspares.co.uk/ 

Good find!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
dubrockers
15 years ago
does it have the bmc 2.2 diesel most people ripped these out, those engines are mostly used for put put boat engines now, so boat yards are good place to find them
but most of these morris/austin where on land rover chassis rails with a differnt body added, i did have a 66 morris ld
if coach built woodhams did alot of work for morris
but if you get stuck im sure i may still have an old workshop manual for one of these
plus im sure i know where one of these are sat for spares but its in the uk
but dont forget any ldv garage (morris/austin/bmc/layland/daf) you can get some spares from but they will need to look through the old slides, thats what they had to do for me but the old boy loved it, that was about 12 years ago now but i guess they may be on their computer system now:lol:
what parts do you need ?
but fav morris was the j type the noddy van
 51.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Bjoern
  • Bjoern
15 years ago
Thanks for the first replies. It sounds like I have bought a really rare car. The original engine is for regular petrol, the same like it was used in Austin Healey Frogeyes or the minor. Or plan is to bring the car back on the road to use it as a service-car at our Hessisch Oldendorf event.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
If its an A series engine then its just like every Mini too. (The old one obviously) Any Mini place should have parts.
Can´t believe they thought this motor was enough to power a pick up truck! Not that vws are much better i guess.

What year is this thing?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
dubrockers
15 years ago
morris j2 were only built from 1956 - 1967
sorry but of nerd on old buses lorries used to live on the road, smelly old hippy in my youth:p
found the workshop manual if you need it
plus got mate to take pic of the one sat in a scarpyard
its a later model to yours but its an austin/morris j4 ambulance but all running gear brakes etc.. will fit yours no probs
saying all this i used to buy a mag called classic comerical dont know if it still goes but used to be lots of good ads in that  1303_700w.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  j2brochure.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
RoRoVw
15 years ago
There is a small magazine published here in the UK called, 'Classic Van and Pick-up'. It's a monthly magazine and regularly features mainly old British commercial vehicles but often has small items about VW split screen and bay window vans.

https://www.classicvan.co.uk 
mrsherbie
15 years ago

There is a small magazine published here in the UK called, 'Classic Van and Pick-up'. It's a monthly magazine and regularly features mainly old British commercial vehicles but often has small items about VW split screen and bay window vans.

https://www.classicvan.co.uk 

RoRoVw wrote:

I have some of those here :oops: shhh :lol: I will look later and see if I can find some Morris/austin van parts suppliers/breakers ( if there are any left over here worth breaking that have not completely rusted away 100% to dusty powder already! :lol: )

This is a good UK site ( through not terribly user friendly!) scroll down left to find austin & morris

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/truckads/truckads.htm 

forum 

Its very cool as a pickup! and I dont think those old British commercials EVER turn up here on home turf in that sort of condition?*! :shock: :beer: :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Bjoern
  • Bjoern
15 years ago
Thanks fir this great info. Hmm In 2005, there were 6 adds, 2006 two, 2007 and later none. Sound like a document of the death of survived J2s. But if I see the adds of ebay, I must think that every midaged man must had a J2 in his toybox, when he was a child. UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Yes, the part of that forum I read is more active.
Well I looked through the magazines and could not find any specific Morris/Austin commercial parts people! Makes me realise how lucky we are with vw parts!

Found this:

Morris Commercials Club 

Now I have no idea if there is any crossover with the commercials and the cars?? But Owen is good friends with these guys who are about half a mile away from us, and they are honest and well regarded in the uk Morris minor scene so safe to buy parts from and know a huge amount about the cars, and have lots of parts so maybe helpful for mechanicals if that helps?

East Sussex Minors 

This car is stored with some of our vws now and is absolutely identical to my very first car (but a few years newer) when I was 17! Sold on the ESM site, it was only £2.5k, super car. I only wish I could have every car that I want 😞 but Mr VWgarden said.. NO Moggies! 😳 :lol:

UserPostedImage

But its ok, because I bought this one for my daughter instead! :d

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Etzhold1
15 years ago
Anna I want that Caravan :shock: :shock:

Guido

Bjoern
  • Bjoern
15 years ago

Anna I want that Caravan :shock: :shock:

Guido

Etzhold1 wrote:

I always believed, that you are playing with pupped-toys, Guido 😉
Etzhold1
15 years ago
:twisted: Now everybody knows !! :lol:
Thanks Björn !!:wink:
GKL 7
15 years ago
Guido,do you have trouble sleeping?Or maybe you work the night shift.
Etzhold1
15 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

No I sleep very well !:d Working the night shift 😳 , , Working 😳 I'm retired George already six years now :lol: :lol: ! Why??

Guido:wink:
GKL 7
15 years ago

Why??

Etzhold1 wrote:

Only because you post sooo early in the morning,sometimes 5 or 6 O'clock.
heb623
15 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

George I will tell you, but you have to promise not to spread the news, ok?:p
Are you sure you can keep quiet?:oops:

:twisted: ET

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
GKL 7
15 years ago
Hi ET,
I can keep a secret,Post here and no one will ever know.

Summer is coming and so is your beautiful car,it will be a good year for you.
heb623
15 years ago
OK George if you can keep a secret,.... ME TOO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:twisted: ET

btw I don't like 😳 to upset Guido!!!:wink:
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!