Mike Peckham
15 years ago
I am slowly rebuilding the engine for my '57, a while go I picked up a NOS pair of 30BHP heat exchangers for it but before I fit them, and in the interests of longetivity, I was planning to have them bead blasted and powder coated.

They are currently black, so I'm guessing that that will be the correct colour for them but I have this feeling they ought really to be grey. All the period shots I have found which show the heat exchangers are in B&W and those that are in manuals are a little unreliable as VW had a habit of painting engines that would feature in manuals different colours to make them more photogenic!

Anyone know what colour is correct?

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
15 years ago
If you have the complete exchanger powder coated,the J pipe section will last about ten miles.It'll burn straight off.I know:oops:
Mike Peckham
15 years ago
Thanks for that, it's only the heater boxes that I am concerned with, the J tubes will have to take their chances!

What colour did you settle on?

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I stuck my camera under my 55 for you, but it does'nt really help you much does it :lol:

So I asked O, he says our own nos oval ones are black too and later 34hp are grey.

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Mike Peckham
15 years ago
Thanks for that!

Black it is then :wink:

Mike

johnshenry
15 years ago
I have been restoring early heater boxes for several years. I have seen a few later (LMB) boxes, NOS in grey, but all VW parts have seen with discernible paint were black.

I spray mine, J tubes too, with POR-15 High Temp "Black Velvet", then back at 450F for 1.5 hours. That paint will not burn off the J pipes.

UserPostedImage