Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago

Ooh! Its lovely and so unusual in grey! They had a few funny colours down there late 50's. It looks in similar condition paintwise to my 55 and that has polished up with a lot of waxing and looks ok because its a pale colour and the wax dries white, but I dont really take the oval outdoors (at all :oops: :lol: ) so the thin paint will not deteriorate. On our brown og paint split I have ankor waxed it as its brown, and so is the ankor wax ( ideal) Also recently I have ankor waxed a blue splitvan, but I really just rubbed the ankor wax in lightly on the thin/rusty looking areas and polished it off all the other areas, it does'nt stay on shiny paint so will only stay where it can 'grab'. Looking at yours If it was me I would probably just keep it WELL waxed :d Sometimes you can get lucky and find a colour magic that is close to old paint, but I doubt there is grey! The only thing with ankor wax, dont put it on at all if you ever plan to maybe repaint the car :!: Even ankor wax dries out if car is used outdoors so you will need to reapply it a couple of times a year. Not everyone is a fan of it, but it does have its uses.

mrsherbie wrote:

Thankyou for the tips, it actually polished up quite well and has a lovely patina to it with the worn paint, i think we'll try a good car wax as its not a daily driver, we will waxoil all cavities etc, i'll post pics of inner wings when we've wiped the Aussie dust off them! they are lovely!!!!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
It will be a nice stable mate to his 54

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

but he does need to make room so this 72 Deluxe OG 40,000 mile car will have to go

UserPostedImage

stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
do you mind if i ask you what you paid for the shipping with the taxes etc etc?
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
VW Stan
15 years ago

It will be a nice stable mate to his 54

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Graham wrote:

Ah, so that's who owns it! It was in the standard line up at Lavenham but we never got any details of the owner. :?

Could you get your brother to send me some details for the standard register I'm working on please?

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=16548 

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi

Brothers not great on computer, i'll post what i know, let me know what else you need
VW Stan
15 years ago

Hi

Brothers not great on computer, i'll post what i know, let me know what else you need

Graham wrote:

Cheers, as much info as you can get please. Chassis, engine and body numbers plus any M codes would be great.

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Ok i'll see what i can do, in the mean time for those that like looking at pictures............

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Bally
15 years ago
Great thread - great cars!!

Sorry to hijack this but does anyone know of a source for '56 only (or even the right style) of firewall - I have no firewall in my '56 so I'd like to get the closest match if I'm looking for something.

Keep the pics coming please...

Cheers,

Dave
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Great thread - great cars!!

Sorry to hijack this but does anyone know of a source for '56 only (or even the right style) of firewall - I have no firewall in my '56 so I'd like to get the closest match if I'm looking for something.

Keep the pics coming please...

Cheers,

Dave

Bally wrote:

I have a feeling that 56 had a one year only firewall! :?:

Happy searching! :wink: :lol:
William
64rotbox
15 years ago
That '54 is fantastic.
You can call me Al.
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

UserPostedImage

Graham wrote:

Lovely engine there, hopefully mine will look as good and as correct as that someday!

Is the bit of the fan shroud that's obscured by the air filter supposed to be flat or recessed?

I've seen these before but never got around to asking... is that an oil filter and cooler on the bulkhead? Are they worthwhile and do you have to drill & tap the engine case to fit them?
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hi Andrew

I can't help with questions on the 54 but i'll ask my Brother this weekend and add a reply or i'm sure someone on here will help, all i know is the filter looks the same as the one on my 1942 Willys Jeep.
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
thought i might add some more pics of 54, The only work my Brother carried out was to clean the underneath and sprayed the floor pans, no welding was needed.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter
Graham
  • Graham
  • Regular Topic Starter