john_boy1959
15 years ago
How can I find out what are the correct headlights for my 59 beetle? Many years ago my grandmother had a prang which resulted in headlights from the mid 60s being substituted. Specifically, I need to know what position the adjusting screws should be on the chrome surround and should the lenses have Bosche moulded into them or just the VW logo. Lastly, the bonnet, should it be raised or flat at the top where the logo sits and down on the handle, which Wolfsburg image is correct?

many thanks
John
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
harveypj
15 years ago
I think you will find VW used both Bosch and Hella lights for the period. 59 was last year of the symmetrical lense. In August 60 the new asymetrical lense was fitted.
From what I have seen the Bosch is the most common on 58/59 models swinging to the Hella in the 60's.
The Bosch rim has adjuster screw locations at 9 and 12 o'clock and the Hella at 8 and 4.
Original Bosch lenses have a vw at the top and 'Bosch' in script towards the bottom.
Not sure about the Hella as to wether they also had the VW?

1960 also saw the badge change before being deleted end of 62, so a 59 should have the older enamel type.

Stock......the new custom
RoRoVw
15 years ago
Following on from harveypj's comments - my July 1959 has the Hella lenses with the adjusters at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock and they do have the VW logo at the top similar to the Bosch ones. My April 1960, on the other hand, has the Bosch headlights, so they were certainly fitting both types around this period. Both beetles are original cars so haven't had parts replaced, as far as I know.
The area of the bonnet where the VW badge sits is flat, not raised.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
The majority of 'European' 1956-60 cars had Bosch headlamps fitted (with 9 and 12 o'clock adjuster screws), although as Rob mentions above, some did have Hella units fitted. Both companies were OEM suppliers to VW at this time.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
john_boy1959
15 years ago
thanks for the replys

John