55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago
I'm at the stage of fitting a new rear tack strip and would like to gauge opinion and experience of others on how to reattached it to the body.

I believe orginially it was nailed into position (also held by the 3 small internal brackets) and the head of the nails leaded over. With my car about to be painted, I wondered what others had done or knew of in terms of fixing this in place?

Ninamashr on The Samba posted a pic of his car on the "54 vert dome switch" thread and it showed the use of sloted brass (wood?) screws.

As my replacement wood is hardwood I can't quite bring myself to nail it back into position and was thinking about using stainless screws, the heads of which would be leaded in.

Any comments? What have you done or what do you know has been done in the past?

Tks
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
(Bloody elitist oval kabrio owners...:d )

Though I only have a lowly `58, its all pretty much the same. I spoke to Klaus Hermann Meyer about this a while ago and asked him if there was a way to make the roof removeable (to facilitate future welding, paint and so on).
He said they can split the rear tack strip and use screws to hold it in place instead of nails. Its all hidden anyway when the roof is installed, so you´ll see no difference using screws. You should probably call him though.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
15 years ago
Mine's an even lowlier '65, by then they'd given up with nails and leading etc. and the rear bow is bolted vertically into the ledge it sits on.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

(Bloody elitist oval kabrio owners...:d ).

JD wrote:

:lol: :lol: :beer:

Though I only have a lowly `58, its all pretty much the same. I spoke to Klaus Hermann Meyer about this a while ago and asked him if there was a way to make the roof removeable (to facilitate future welding, paint and so on).
He said they can split the rear tack strip and use screws to hold it in place instead of nails. Its all hidden anyway when the roof is installed, so you´ll see no difference using screws. You should probably call him though.

JD wrote:

Doesn't the edge of the roof come down and butt again the top of the rear metalwork??? I'm talking screws that go through the rear metalwork (just above the engine lid) and into the wood.

Mine's an even lowlier '65, by then they'd given up with nails and leading etc. and the rear bow is bolted vertically into the ledge it sits on.

pre67vw wrote:

Wish that method was in place in 55, it would have made it a lot easier! BTW Rob, 'bout time we saw some more pics of your lovely black beauty.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
I know what you meant - the screws hold the wood in place, but the bottom edge of the fabric hides the screws (Or can be made to do so). Thats what I think he meant anyway.
UserPostedImage
55Kab
  • 55Kab
15 years ago

I know what you meant - the screws hold the wood in place, but the bottom edge of the fabric hides the screws (Or can be made to do so). Thats what I think he meant anyway.

JD wrote:

Aha, got it. The original nails (?) were leaded over though so that's what I intend on doing again.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Aha, got it. The original nails (?) were leaded over though so that's what I intend on doing again.

55Kab wrote:

Really? Hmmm... thats one particular bit of originality I could live without I think. Lots of advantages to being able to remove the roof without pulling out a hundred nails and trashing your trim strips!
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
15 years ago
No need for screws or nails.
There are plenty of products on the market that will bond that wood to steel forever.
And guess what, that area suffers from water encroachment,so you will kill two birds with one stone--- stick the wood in,seal the water out.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

There are plenty of products on the market that will bond that wood to steel forever

'50 Karmann wrote:

Anything in particular you would recommend George? Did Steve attach the wood in this way on the 50?

GKL 7
14 years ago
Steve didn't do everything you know:roll:
But, i think he used Sickaflex:lol:
Oh!but it won't fill those gaps:oops:
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

i think he used Sickaflex:lol:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Ta, I'll tell my man to look into it. :wink: