55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago

HR Owen is actually on the same block I think so about 1 minute away! and there are 2 others along that stretch

mrsherbie wrote:

Quick, call Annika Rice (now there's a thought! - sorry off topic) sounds like a TREASURE HUNT for NOS VW parts. You just never know...

I bet Prof Oakley is driving there as I type this! :lol: :lol:

mrsherbie
14 years ago
You need deep pockets for any of the garages along there now and any old junk vw parts would have gone in the skip YEARS ago! :lol: But it would be cool if you discovered your car came from the same building on the corner that is now the UK official Lambo centre would'nt it ! :d Its been a car dealers as long as I can remember since I was little
( ps. odds slim but you just never know!)

Now, I am envisaging the look on their faces when Rich parks up on the kerb outside in his mk1 polo and walks in there with excited sweaty palms wearing an old vw t-shirt :lol:

showroom 

:lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

it would be cool if you discovered your car came from the same building on the corner that is now the UK official Lambo centre would'nt it ! :d Its been a car dealers as long as I can remember

mrsherbie wrote:

Indeed, it would be 😎 Deffo photo opp when she's finished.

The historical aspect really intrigues me. There were only 2 owners before Arthur Law bought her and he was the guy that Mike Attewell bought her from. Unfortunately both the owners have moved from the addresses I have so hopefully enquires at the records office will help track them/the family down.

It doesn't look good anyway because I was thinking, how old would someone be in 1955 who could afford a Cabrio Beetle. If you said 35 which I think is optimistic that would make them 89 years old now. But, you never know.

Love the video clip, especially the offer of sherry and biscuits, my, how times have changed!

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
UserPostedImage :wink:
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
today...
UserPostedImage

HR Owen opened their Kensington site in the early 60s.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
https://maps.google.com/ 

Type into there either

129 Old Brompton Road London

or

Roland Gardens London

Then click on "Street view" and you can have a look around the roads! 😎 For Roland Gardens you can see most of the way down to Old Brompton Road so you can be pretty sure that your car has at some point been parked down that road! :wink:

I would post a link to both but the URL does not change! :?

Which number Roland Gardens did the first owner live?
William
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Its not the lambo one its further along the road a bit, the Lambo garage used to be HR Owen's Ferrari Bentley etc showroom. They have had a shuffle around I think they own both anyway. (I have not been up there for about a year but my folks have a flat in Onslow Gardens, 2 streets from Roland )

Come to think of it, the original owner was in fact ME, and your kab is actually mine! tsk! how could I be so absent minded and forget where I parked it last! :roll: :lol:

(but, I might wait until it is completely finished before I come round and collect the keys though if thats ok? :beer: )

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

UserPostedImage :wink:

Rich Oakley wrote:

Aha, after looking at Multimap I wasn't far off then when I said the owner probably just walked around the corner :!:

55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

Which number Roland Gardens did the first owner live?

54 Gertie wrote:

43 Roland House
Roland Gardens

Rich, can you take a pic of it and whatever's at 129 Old Brompton or is that the Lambo dealer?

55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

not been up there for about a year but my folks have a flat in Onslow Gardens, 2 streets from Roland )

Come to think of it, the original owner was in fact ME

mrsherbie wrote:

That's cool 😎

Always knew you were posh totty Anna...!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And nice try, best I can do is bump you to the front of the que for rides! :lol: :beer:

Denz
14 years ago
The birth certificate of my late '55 oval says that its an original UK import to VW Motors London. The reg 'FMG' denotes a North East London - Middlesex origin. Guess it'll be tough to narrow it down any further.
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

The birth certificate of my late '55 oval says that its an original UK import to VW Motors London. The reg 'FMG' denotes a North East London - Middlesex origin. Guess it'll be tough to narrow it down any further.

Denz wrote:

At that time VW Motors were the official importers so irrespective of which dealer sold a car, all the birth certs say VW Motors.

54 Gertie
14 years ago

At that time VW Motors were the official importers so irrespective of which dealer sold a car, all the birth certs say VW Motors.

55Kab wrote:

Agreed. Ours is from Essex and was imported to "VW Motors London"
William
Denz
14 years ago

55Kab wrote:

I wasn't disputing that Martin. Just providing a little insight into where my UK oval rag hails from, and opening it up for comment to see if I could narrow down the location where it was first bought. :wink: