55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Isn't it amazing the more you look into something, the more you learn it's a minefield!

I hope someone out there has the "knowledge" on these. I've been trying to fit some dated 1955/56 to my pre Aug-55 seats but now believe that they are definately not intended for pre Aug-55 seats.

So I'm thinking the 1955/56 must mean 1956 model year car from Aug-55 on. However, that said I think the problem I'm seeing would be evident on the 30mm wider backrest Aug-55 on seats as well.

So this is where I'm at. Here's a side on shot of the 1955/56 dated Huls:

UserPostedImage

And here's a shot of a pair of 1954 dated Huls, you can probably see that the lower arm is a different shape near the black wheel:

UserPostedImage

The problem with the 1955/56 Huls is that on the pre Aug-55 seats they will damage the seat base due to the shape of them. See how they angle "in" towards the base:

UserPostedImage

As they have done here on the seat they were removed from:

UserPostedImage

The 1954 dated Huls are straight when viewed from the front and therefore will not interact (as much) with the seat base:

UserPostedImage

Found some photos of Huls installed to try and see what's going on. These have damaged the seat:

UserPostedImage

Where as these look to be much better:

UserPostedImage

These also look ok. On these though the lower arm is again a different design and the 1 v 2 bolt fixing question for the backrest becomes evident:

UserPostedImage

So can anyone tell me which Huls are correct up to Aug-55? And when the number of bolts changed or were introduced?

Tks

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
What a pickle!

I don't know much about them (as you know), but from my observations over the years, the 'two screw' type have seemed to mostly be on earlier cars (Splits, early Ovals) and the single screw type on later Ovals. Maybe the single screw ones I found for you are the 54/55 only type?
The 55/56 dated ones have got to be for Aug '55 onwards with the wider seats.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
reminou75
14 years ago
Exactly! Your analysis is absolutely correct! :wink: