Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
the underside of the wings have been lightly stone chipped, and will be primered this afternoon.

The bonnet has also has some minor surface removed and prepared for paint.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
a little detail update.

the rear number plate had previously been mounted on a stack of sticky fixers (to save drilling the decklid), i wasnt happy with this, so when i was out in california last year i picked up a 67 only license plate mount. so now my number plate is mounted without havng to drill any holes, and stands of the lid slightly to aid cleaning.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

also we managed to get some paint mixed up to match the shell of the car, so the wings and bonnet will soon be in colour!
69project
13 years ago
lovely car,did you buy your plates recently as ive been quoted 55ish from framptons for a set of pre63 raised digit plates yet tippers list similar for 130?

thanks in advance
Car less.....
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
the previous owner bought a new set from these guys, after i had to buy a new front one....

https://www.classicplatesonline.co.uk/plates.asp 

personally i prefef the pressed metal type, like the old Hills style ones.

hope that helps.
Dakota
13 years ago
Hi, I'm old enough to have been there and its a common misconception that old cars have pressed aluminium number plates, they are a "classic car" invention, the vast majority of stuff licenced over here into the early seventies has built up plates such as the ones fitted on your beetle, into the sixties they had cast aluminium digits that were either clipped or peened on and then plastic digits became the norm either in white or painted silver, these even ran through the seventies with reflective white and yellow backings and black plastic digits, pressed aluminium number plates were a motorcycle thing and became used more on cars during the early seventies but with reflective backings and black digits, the pressed ali plates that many buy today are not typical of what would actually have been fitted at the time.
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
quick update, my shelf arrived, so didnt hang about....

UserPostedImage
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
little bit of progress, dug out my og 67 only hubcaps, 3 out of the 4 were straight and useable, so dropped them off at the chromers in Birmingham, should get them back in 4 weeks.

I think Ivan had a few spare 67 only hubcaps, so hopefully that will make up my missing set.

The steering rod has now been painted, and has been secured to the steering box now.

Made a start on stripping the underseal off the underside of the fuel tank. that will get POR 15, and then a coat of satin black and then some waxoil.

The engine also has all the hard and soft fuel pipes fitted.

Next up- bleed the brakes!

:thumbup:
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
Brake Bled! :thumbup:

next up, fire up the engine, and fill the gearbox with oil 😎
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
tank stripped of underseal

UserPostedImage

didnt get a shot of it with a cat of POR 15. That will then get lightly sanded, and i will top coat it with factory satin black, then a coat of clear waxoil.
55Kab
13 years ago
Nice work Rob. Getting there now.

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
thanks Martin, i understand yours isnt far off? looking forward to seeing it at sandown :thumbup:

get my wings and bonnet back at the end of the month. :thumbup:
55Kab
13 years ago

thanks Martin, i understand yours isnt far off? looking forward to seeing it at sandown :thumbup:

Robb wrote:

Don't know who you've been talking to as there's loads to do 😞

Wiring not finished, no carpet, no seats, no door panels, loads of small jobs to complete and.............no engine. It will be touch and go.

Still if your wings and bonnet are done for the end of the month sounds like you'll be able to take my place if I don't make it. :wink:

WayneMcCarthy
13 years ago

Don't know who you've been talking to as there's loads to do 😞

Wiring not finished, no carpet, no seats, no door panels, loads of small jobs to complete and.............no engine. It will be touch and go.

Still if your wings and bonnet are done for the end of the month sounds like you'll be able to take my place if I don't make it. :wink:

55Kab wrote:

Ah You Will Make it , Your in Good Hand's with The Evil-One !
"Mr Stock"
surrey67
13 years ago
Fantastic Resto Robb :thumbup:
1967 Westfalia SO42

• Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago

Ah You Will Make it , Your in Good Hand's with The Evil-One !

WayneMcCarthy wrote:

yer! if anyone can, ben can! :thumbup:

keep the faith mate 😎
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago

Fantastic Resto Robb :thumbup:

surrey67 wrote:

thanks, its nearly at an end, phew :rofl:
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
underside of tank stone chipped & top coated in satin black and waxoiled 😎

UserPostedImage
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
the heater hoses cleaned up nicely......

UserPostedImage
WayneMcCarthy
13 years ago
They Turned Out Nice Rob .... It's Coming together Now !
"Mr Stock"
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
13 years ago
yer its all the little pieces :lol:

tank in, and the card liner refitted.......

oh and it just FIRED UP! 😎