69project
14 years ago
reading the article it seems they were trying to dig at the historic owners club who wouldnt let him in to main ring at start,which yes it is a very nice well done car but isnt stock which i thought was the main point of the circle in the first place?

im sure it also said that roof had been jumped on hence the roof was fitted...:?:

these debates will always rage,its a bit like marmite i guess
Car less.....
RoRoVw
14 years ago

reading the article it seems they were trying to dig at the historic owners club who wouldnt let him in to main ring at start,which yes it is a very nice well done car but isnt stock which i thought was the main point of the circle in the first place?

im sure it also said that roof had been jumped on hence the roof was fitted...:?:

these debates will always rage,its a bit like marmite i guess

69project wrote:

The Historic Volkswagen Club committee has been concerned about the comments made in the Volksworld article and is unaware of any instance where the owner was made to feel unwelcome. Just to put the record straight, this beetle wasn't entered in last year's Stanford Hall Historic Beetle Display and neither was it refused entry.
The Committee has contacted the owner to try and resolve any concerns he may have.

Cheers,
Rob
GKL 7
14 years ago

I'd be interested to know how many people have actualy said they hate it.

harveypj wrote:

I HATE IT.
One and counting:lol:
Standard split
14 years ago
I don't think too many people will hate it, it's still a split window Beetle[-x

However, no-one in their right mind would buy a split that's been cut around when they can buy a more original example:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
14 years ago

I HATE IT.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I haven't actually got time to hate anything.
But i can have a total disregard for something.
mrsherbie
14 years ago

I HATE IT.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I didnt but I do now just in principle :lol:

It was a nice car once. Still is but in a different way.
Not the old 'dented roof excuse'. Both my cars have got dented roofs :lol:

Next time I see MP I will put him over my knee on behalf of all stockers, for spreading such naughty made up rumours just to brighten up a cold winters read :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
55Kab
14 years ago

The Committee has contacted the owner to try and resolve any concerns he may have

RoRoVw wrote:

Suppose I better contact "The Committee" first then before trying to have the Cabriolet enter the "inner circle" at Stanford Hall 2011!!! :lol:

I think it's a great car...far tooooooo many unmodified splits out there isn't there...:lol:

61 Devon
14 years ago
I saw this car at the Volksworld show. As my mate Steve was showing his car (more of that in a minute)we got to have a good look around it on the Friday and have a chat with Rich.

I thought the car was great, finished to a better than factory standard with a real engine. Me for one would love it in my garage. 50 MPH on a motorway not nice, lorries do not appreciate a 50 odd year old car.

Re - the inner circle. I know the reception Steve received for with his 51 Right Hand Drive Split. Mainly because he had Gold Radars on it.

I think some of you need to get your heads out of your back sides.
I for one would like to see the inner circle full of early cars, not just a couple of spaced out examples.
Two shows Tatton Park and the NEC Classic car show only had Ovals, so where are the Vintage cars ?

I have a 57 Oval so not the oldest car on the block.
Guesss this one will run a while !

Just my point of view.

RoRoVw
14 years ago
I agree that more early cars would be great in these Displays. It just needs their owners to enter them.

The cars that are allowed in The Historic Beetle Display at Stanford Hall (the inner circle) are strictly governed by the organisers of the Stanford Hall meeting. The requirement is that they be pretty close to 'stock' and must have been built before the end of July 1960 (extended to that date for 2010) but don't have to be in concours condition. This Display dates back to 1976 and is probably the only more or less 'stock' display in the country and as such is something of a tradition.

As for The Historic Volkswagen Club's display at Tatton Park in 2009 - 11 beetles were on the stand. There were seven ovals, a big back window 1957, a 1959, a 1961 and a 1966. True there were no split rear windows but none were entered. Most of the cars were 'stock' but not exclusively.

The Club stand at the Classic Motor Show at the NEC had five cars on display. A 1952 split rear window (standard model), a 1954 oval, a 1955 oval, a 1959 Deluxe and a 1966 Karmann Ghia. Quite a good spread I think. All these cars were 'stock' as its that type of show.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
To me it just seems the same as if I entered my stock beetle into a Restowagen display.

It's one of the few areas in the VW show season where you can go and be guaranteed a spread of nice stock beetles. And as RoRo says, its been going for quite some time and it seems real shame to change it. Having said that, allowing '58-'60 'small window' beetles into the ring was a great idea.
William
Richard
14 years ago

I agree that more early cars would be great in these Displays. It just needs their owners to enter them.

The cars that are allowed in The Historic Beetle Display at Stanford Hall (the inner circle) are strictly governed by the organisers of the Stanford Hall meeting. The requirement is that they be pretty close to 'stock' and must have been built before the end of July 1960 (extended to that date for 2010) but don't have to be in concours condition.

RoRoVw wrote:

That's total bollox. :evil:
Rich with his Black split was aloud into the display, but my '51 wasn't. My '51 is a lot more stock that Rich's black split.

For the record, I think Rich's car is great, I wouldn't have it as it is if it was mine, but it's still a great car, and better the way it is rather that sitting an a garage un-used.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago

That's total bollox. :evil:
Rich with his Black split was aloud into the display, but my '51 wasn't. My '51 is a lot more stock that Rich's black split.

For the record, I think Rich's car is great, I wouldn't have it as it is if it was mine, but it's still a great car, and better the way it is rather that sitting an a garage un-used.

Richard wrote:

It seems to me that the rules for the 'inner circle' are not clear enough - or at least not widely known. So people ask if their car can be included and it comes down to someone's personal decision on the day.

Personally, I'd go with this: Must be a member of the Historic VW club, must be an original period colour, must be stock height and stock wheels. Thats it, if you're eligible then you're allowed in - if not then you're not. Simples.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
14 years ago
Well I think the way the 'inner circle' is organised is absolutely fine as it is, and I for one will not see anything bad said about it or the people who organise it using their own free time.

Do not forget it is organised by people like Keith who know exactly what they are doing, have MANY years experience, and go about it in a polite manner without rudeness, unlike that shown by people who seem to just expect to get their car in on age alone regardless of the changes they have made to it.

My car is all stock parts, albeit a mix of standard and deluxe and non correct paint so according to Robs ruling I could not get in. But my car was hand painted bright green when O found it in Sweden, so has not been original paint colour since probably the 60's. So paint colour is not really a factor in my view as many interesting early otherwise stock cars would fall outside this.

Equally O's 50sunroof is all stock(inc height & paint) and very original indeed bar its og paint og sprints, which as original accessory items fall into the same category as a period luggage/roof rack etc.
Every car is a different case and as such it requires someone very knowledgeable in charge to implement the rules set by Stanford as best they see fit. And to be honest there are not many people in the uk vw scene with this high level of stock knowledge, especially on this forum! as in part we are all a lot younger for one! And this level of knowledge simply comes with age and experience. There are no short cuts.

Why on earth anyone with a car they have lowered thinks their car should still be allowed to park in a stock display is beyond me! It simply shows arrogance and rudeness to a level that is unacceptable, and in fact highlights the very attitude that seems to only come from people who modify their cars which is why they are tagged as such, and why most of the people who use this forum are sick and tired of their attitude and the way most vw shows in this country have gone.
Stanford is special and needs these special rules.

Heres a message for you guys who just are not getting it!

IF YOU LOWER IT, THEN IT ISNT STOCK ANYMORE SO YOU CAN NO LONGER GET INTO THE HISTORIC DISPLAY. END OF. IF YOU TRY ON THE DAY THEN YOU WILL BE TURNED AWAY! END OF.

YOU MADE THAT CHOICE. NO ONE ELSE IS TO BLAME BUT YOURSELF! SOI STOP BLOODY WELL BLEATING ABOUT IT ON THIS - STOCK ONLY FORUM - BECAUSE WE ARE NOT INTERESTED!

Get over it!

We dont want to park in resto displays! so dont park in ours!

Honestly,! how hard is it to understand :roll:
mrsherbie
14 years ago

It seems to me that the rules for the 'inner circle' are not clear enough - or at least not widely known. So people ask if their car can be included and it comes down to someone's personal decision on the day.

pre67vw wrote:

Not True.

The rules are CRYSTAL CLEAR.

'Stock' at the discretion of the organisers of the display.
And it should come down to decision on the day, as people DO LIE about their entries naively thinking they can turn up with a pass on the day and it cannot be overturned.

Its just that people with lowered cars turn up on the day having not registered in advance as they KNOW their car will not be accepted in advance.
So instead in their arrogance they think its a better idea to turn up at the gate on the day and then waste Keiths & other peoples time while they try to talk their way in because they did not advance book. They usually fail. ( GOOD)
example. the 2 ratty cars a year or 2 ago that could not get in on the day so instead took it on themnselves to park on a patch of grass immediately outside the gates in an area that they should not have even been in.
That was ultimate arrogance on show right there. You are not allowed to show off where YOU wanted to, so you deliberately break the shows rules and park where ever you bloody well want in a prominant spot. It is like rebelious kids at school. Just plain childish.

I am glad they got turned away. You guys needs to learn some manners and lessons on how to behave at a show.

If people didnt misbehave then rules would'nt be necessary. But thats human nature for you.

Rant over.
GKL 7
14 years ago

Honestly,! how hard is it to understand :roll:

mrsherbie wrote:

Obviously, very.
Sunroof53
14 years ago
Strange thing is the 2009 October issue features another split on fuchs without all the spin.
55Kab
14 years ago
Flippin ekk Anna..calm down...you're taking it faaaarrrrrrr to seriously. I think that's the problem with the British VW scene in general.

As the owner of a historic VW which will not be stock height, nor running stock wheels (that's the least of it! :wink: ) but admires, appreciate's and love's old stock VW's, I'm glad the inner circle is all about stock for the reason's Anna and RoRo have stated above and long may it stay that way. :beer:

However, as there are a lot of cars that fit the age but are not stock and that may not have been entered into a judging category is there perhaps room for a similar display for high quality cars that do not meet the inner circle criteria?

Whether you like lowered cars or not, both splits owned by Richard and Richard I would have thought are deemed worthy of display.

Incidentally, if the inner circle only allows standard height cars etc, how did this month's cover car make it into the inner circle last year? H'mmm, I'll have to ask him if he knows the secret handshake! :lol:

RoRoVw
14 years ago

Personally, I'd go with this: Must be a member of the Historic VW club, must be an original period colour, must be stock height and stock wheels. Thats it, if you're eligible then you're allowed in - if not then you're not. Simples.

pre67vw wrote:

Entrants to The Historic Display don't have to be members of The Historic Volkswagen Club - its open to anyone with a qualifying car.

All entries have to be pre-booked and this year (at the request of the Stanford Hall Show organisers) the owners of cars which haven't been entered in previous years or which are modified have to submit a photograph with their entry. This is something that many shows are now introducing, including Bad Camberg next year.

To quote the Stanford Hall website:
"Don't worry if your car is not pristine we are happy to see daily users or restoration projects as long as they are not overtly modified or lowered"

Hopefully there won't be any need to turn away cars on the day if all entrants abide by the rules.
55Kab
14 years ago

To quote the Stanford Hall website:
"Don't worry if your car is not pristine we are happy to see daily users or restoration projects as long as they are not overtly modified or lowered"

RoRoVw wrote:

Aha...got 'em.

All I'll need to do is fit some steels, pump the air-ride up a bit and keep the decklid locked as I'm as good as "in"... :lol:
69project
14 years ago
oh dear this has all gone a bit cuckoo

i like both sides of the fence so cant disagree with either

for my only few years in the scene i have always seen the circle as stock only so wont be now in it for a year or many.....no matter what i turn up in!

si
Car less.....