55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Can anyone help me out?

I'm looking for a Beetle sales brochure (if ever such a thing existed) if in early 1955 one had walked into VW Motor's in London with a wish to buy a car.

Anyone have such a thing?

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
oval56
14 years ago

Can anyone help me out?

I'm looking for a Beetle sales brochure (if ever such a thing existed) if in early 1955 one had walked into VW Motor's in London with a wish to buy a car.

Anyone have such a thing?

55Kab wrote:

i had some in german, it my helps or it is what you search..

https://www.oval56.de/inhalt_vw.html 
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Are you going to photoshop it to show air ride and fuchs as an optional extra in order to get into the historic display at Stanford hall? :wink:
William
54 Gertie
14 years ago
I've just unearthed a small brochure entitled 'Meet the Volkswagen'. It looks to be the sort of thing you woul get in a dealer to show you all that is available, the typical flowing drawings showing the beetle to be more a sports car than utilitarian transport. :lol: Shows convertibles as well. :wink:

I would assume it to be from '55, as it came with a '55 and all the photos have heart lights etc.

I can do you a scan if you like, if only to show you what to look out for in your local junk shop? :wink:
William
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
There´s an English language Cabrio brochure for `54 on thesamba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/54convertible.php 
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

i had some in german, it my helps or it is what you search..

https://www.oval56.de/inhalt_vw.html 

oval56 wrote:

Tks Andi. Just looked through those. Very interesting but not quite what I was looking for.

55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

Are you going to photoshop it to show air ride and fuchs as an optional extra in order to get into the historic display at Stanford hall? :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

:lol: :beer: Now there's an idea! :wink:

I think Will people are missing the point on all that stuff. Given the thread on Rich's 50 and now the backlash on RW I'm now thinking that Standford Hall should not only have standard cars on display.

As far as I'm concerned, celebrating its 55 year old birthday this year means my car already IS a historic Volkswagen, especially given it's one of just 4 confirmed known pre Aug-55 RHD UK dealer supplied cabrio's left...but this discussion is for another thread! :lol:

55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

I've just unearthed a small brochure entitled 'Meet the Volkswagen'. It looks to be the sort of thing you woul get in a dealer to show you all that is available, the typical flowing drawings showing the beetle to be more a sports car than utilitarian transport. :lol: Shows convertibles as well. :wink:

I would assume it to be from '55, as it came with a '55 and all the photos have heart lights etc.

I can do you a scan if you like, if only to show you what to look out for in your local junk shop? :wink:

54 Gertie wrote:

Post it up Will, sounds interesting.

54 Gertie
14 years ago

Post it up Will, sounds interesting.

55Kab wrote:

I'll coax my scanner out of hibernation. :wink:
William
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

There´s an English language Cabrio brochure for `54 on thesamba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/54convertible.php 

JD wrote:

Tks, I had seen that one already. I now realise I didn't make myself very clear.

Lets assume that the first owner of my car was in the showroom and had decided on a Cabriolet. What happened next? How did he choose the colour? How did he choose any options? Were these presented in a brochure format, paper format, word of mouth...how?

Reason for asking besides just general interest is I'm trying to decide on what colour carpets and headliner were fitted when new. I've said it before but it's amazing given the times we live in the lack of this type of data on the web. If I post this on the Samba I bet some smart alec will say look at the WW website but how do you know that is correct? I'd like to see some actual historical documentation to prove how it all worked back in 1955.

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

I think Will people are missing the point on all that stuff. Given the thread on Rich's 50 and now the backlash on RW I'm now thinking that Standford Hall should not only have standard cars on display.

55Kab wrote:

Ooh! Goody - a backlash thread! Our work here is done. LOL!

I just went and had a look at the thread. Seems like a lot of vitriol being throw about by people who haven´t even looked at what was written here. Sheesh - they`re as bad as us!:lol:
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Tks, I had seen that one already. I now realise I didn't make myself very clear.

Lets assume that the first owner of my car was in the showroom and had decided on a Cabriolet. What happened next? How did he choose the colour? How did he choose any options? Were these presented in a brochure format, paper format, word of mouth...how?

Reason for asking besides just general interest is I'm trying to decide on what colour carpets and headliner were fitted when new. I've said it before but it's amazing given the times we live in the lack of this type of data on the web. If I post this on the Samba I bet some smart alec will say look at the WW website but how do you know that is correct? I'd like to see some actual historical documentation to prove how it all worked back in 1955.

55Kab wrote:

Yes, the cabrio info is pretty elusive. I´ve seen brochures with sheets of colour chips/upholstery on them. It´s out there.

Edit - like this, in fact...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/58_59_beetle_convertible_colors.php 
UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
The '55 Cabrio sales brochure did not show a colour chart for the cars. As far as I'm aware, none of the 'take away' literature included a colour chart until 1958/9. However, the dealer would have had swatches of colours and materials used in a dealer booklet.

62 colour chart as an example...
UserPostedImage

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
14 years ago

and now the backlash on RW I'm now thinking that Standford Hall should not only have standard cars on display.

55Kab wrote:

Got a link? :roll:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

Got a link? :roll:

pre67vw wrote:

PM'ed you.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Scanning, give it a few days, it doesn't want to play ball. :roll:

This does not show colours, merely some gumf about standard models, deluxes, sunroofs and of course the convertible.

"The Volkswagen Convertible is a favourite with the ladies." :lol:
William
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

Yes, the cabrio info is pretty elusive. I´ve seen brochures with sheets of colour chips/upholstery on them. It´s out there.

Edit - like this, in fact...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/58_59_beetle_convertible_colors.php 

JD wrote:

Although this is a 56 model year brochure I think it's what you and Rich were referring to:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/56_57colors.php 

And shows L232 Iris Blue also. :d

But doesn't give away colour of things like carpets. :cry:

Interestingly for the picture of the Cabrio in Iris blue the centre of the wheels look dark, like the colour of the hood. Probably can't tell anything from that but I was expecting the wheels to be cream (off white) inner, body colour outer...:?

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Wheel Rim: L227 Strato Silver (even for Fuchs wheels)
Hub: L87 Pearl White
Conv top cover (available in 3 colours): V29 Dk. Blue, V1 Black, V31 Lt. Grey
Cloth Interior: Blue Grey
Leatherette Interior (available in 3 colours): K110 Beige, K134 Blue, K107 Black
Headliner: H109 Grey
Carpet: 026 Honey Brown

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
'Meet the Volkswagen'

Circa 1955

EDIT: links no worky :roll:
William
55Kab
  • 55Kab
14 years ago

Wheel Rim: L227 Strato Silver (even for Fuchs wheels)
Hub: L87 Pearl White
Conv top cover (available in 3 colours): V29 Dk. Blue, V1 Black, V31 Lt. Grey
Cloth Interior: Blue Grey
Leatherette Interior (available in 3 colours): K110 Beige, K134 Blue, K107 Black
Headliner: H109 Grey
Carpet: 026 Honey Brown

Rich Oakley wrote:

8) Tks Rich.

Where did you find all that then?

Wheel rim strato silver :?: Surely that doesn't work with Iris Blue :?: :!: