lurkerzz
14 years ago
Good afternoon,

I wonder if anybody could help me please as I know you guys are in the know :wink:

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1951 type1 shell and chassis and I have some issues before I complete and I dont want to be subject to a scam!

The shell has a vin plate, crotch coolers are there, the rear window looks right, its had the rockers done but it doesnt have any slots in the b pillar for semaphores. Would there be any reason for this? They wouldnt have done some cars with and some without would they?

Thanks you for your help and advice

A concerned buyer
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
It should definitel have the slots, though people did occasionally weld/braze/filler them closed in the past. If you can sand the paint off and they were never there, then the cars a wrong un.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

...its had the rockers done but it doesnt have any slots in the b pillar for semaphores. Would there be any reason for this?

lurkerzz wrote:

Yes there would be one massive reason for this...the B pillars are from a much later car.:shock:

..or as JD says butchered by a previous owner.
John.
lurkerzz
14 years ago
Thats what I thought, the car is bear metal and I cant see anything.

I'm waiting for the guy to get back to me with the excuse. I will keep you posted!

Thanks very much  body.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
What ever is going on with those heater channels?? Smoothed off - looks like they filled the running board recesses.

Hope it´s cheap.
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
And what is that parked behind it??
UserPostedImage
vintagebug
14 years ago
Maybe it's my eyes, but the bottom of that three-quarter panel (below the side window) doesn't look correct- in the photo it looks like it meets the outside of the heater channel, ie it appears to be flush with it. It shouldn't be like that...

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
vintagebug
14 years ago

Just seen your post, JD... :wink:
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
lurkerzz
14 years ago
I can handle that kind of body work no problem, but I cant deal with no holes for semaphores
lurkerzz
14 years ago
does it seem a little to fishy?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
If it´s a few hundred quid then what have you got to lose? Depends how original you want it to be.
But yes, it´s pretty fishy.
UserPostedImage
lurkerzz
14 years ago
I wanted something that had the basis of an original, but this seems a bit far fetched and a 36 hour round trip to pick it up for a couple of grand does'nt seem like a good thing either

Gutted because a beetle with crotch coolers is my ideal car, I will have to wait and something will come up 1 day :oops:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I understand - who wouldn´t jump at the chance to get their dream car? This isnt it though!
Careful what you wish for!
UserPostedImage
ianmac
14 years ago
Has it got all of the missing panels and parts to go with it as part of the deal? IMHO it is more expensive to purchase all of the correct parts for a split oval than it is to find a good complete unmessed with car. If it was a couple of grand and included all of the original parts I would say it would be worth while.

lurkerzz
14 years ago
it has 4 wings and 1 door so its still missing a lot of stuff that I was hoping to collect over a period of years

The more I look at the pictures I have been sent the more I question certain parts, the guy who is selling it said that the holes for the semaphores has been welded over and he is going to send me more pictures today

It also has the 6 numbers ibelow the vin plate n the front valance good/bad?

I have tried as much as possible to research the car but I'm far from a REAL expert hance why I'm here!
69project
14 years ago
gut feeling normally prevails in these circumstances

i know it costs to ship but there has been a lot of splits on samba recently
Car less.....
Standard split
14 years ago
Wot, no semaphores :?:

What's with the rather strange (split?) black car in the background :?

quote=lurkerzz]…but it doesnt have any slots in the b pillar for semaphores. Would there be any reason for this? They wouldnt have done some cars with and some without would they?

Yep, the slots have been welded over 😶
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378