Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago
Hi,
Having acquired an oval from the first few months of production I now find myself a bit confused as to what is original on it and what isn't.....
Until now, my main source of info has been the Bob Wilson 1949-59 Beetle book, but it contradicts what is on my car.......
The book says that the semaphores should be ribbed/with visible rivets whereas mine are smooth, and that the reserve fuel tap had a 'ZAR' aluminium plate around it until early '54, but mine (its a '53) has a simple aluminium ring.......
Is the book wrong?
Would be very grateful for any info......

Thanks

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
48REME
16 years ago
Bob Wilson's book has some inaccuracies, starting with the colour combination charts at the back so I would take it with a pinch of salt.
You could try H.R.Etzhold's book called, I think, 'The Beetle-Chronicle of the People's Car-Vol.1' (with the brown cover). This one has good information and is mostly correct.
You should have the one-year only ribbed semaphores which are not like 49-52 semaphores but look rather like the pre-49 handed ones. The groove is like a wide U-shaped channel.
Try speaking or contacting John Maxwell of the Historic VW Club. He has one of the earliest known RHD Ovals from March 1953. He should be able to answer all your queries. 😃
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
16 years ago

Bob Wilson's book has some inaccuracies, starting with the colour combination charts at the back so I would take it with a pinch of salt.
You could try H.R.Etzhold's book called, I think, 'The Beetle-Chronicle of the People's Car-Vol.1' (with the brown cover). This one has good information and is mostly correct.
You should have the one-year only ribbed semaphores which are not like 49-52 semaphores but look rather like the pre-49 handed ones. The groove is like a wide U-shaped channel.
Try speaking or contacting John Maxwell of the Historic VW Club. He has one of the earliest known RHD Ovals from March 1953. He should be able to answer all your queries. 😃

"48REME" wrote:

Thanks, I have the Etzhold Volume 1 but to be honest found the Wilson book more informative (even if not accurate :lol: ), at least you've confirmed my suspicions not to believe 100% whats written in the Wilson book..........
Having been out and had a fiddle on the car I have now discovered that what I thought were smooth semaphores are in fact filler-plates inserted when the car was 'updated' in the 60's/70's with flashing indicators :roll: .
Looks like I have the fun of sourcing '53-only semaphores to look forward to ...... 😞

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
mmayson
16 years ago

"Ovalbug" wrote:

Thanks, I have the Etzhold Volume 1 but to be honest found the Wilson book more informative (even if not accurate :lol: ), at least you've confirmed my suspicions not to believe 100% whats written in the Wilson book..........
Having been out and had a fiddle on the car I have now discovered that what I thought were smooth semaphores are in fact filler-plates inserted when the car was 'updated' in the 60's/70's with flashing indicators :roll: .
Looks like I have the fun of sourcing '53-only semaphores to look forward to ...... 😞

"48REME" wrote:

You might like to try Pete at www.early-air.co.uk
He has loads of oval spares and has helped me on a number of occasions.

Mike
Michael Mayson