Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago

Funny...it looks like the oval Bob Shaill was trying to pass as a Standard RHD Zwitter in the late 80s! MTA something... Richard O, you must know it?

48REME wrote:

The Stonor one was LHD with a standard 3-spoke steering wheel, as well as the Recaro seats already mentioned it also had stickers from the German city of Limburg on the inside of the drivers side rear 1/4 windows.................

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Standard split
13 years ago

Funny...it looks like the oval Bob Shaill was trying to pass as a Standard RHD Zwitter in the late 80s! MTA something... Richard O, you must know it?

48REME wrote:

I remember that one very well, the RHD Standard Model, have a pic at home somewhere, ultra rare but suddenly turned up on the scene with Mr Shaill at Peppercorn. Mr Shaill's had some very rare 'KdF Hybrids' too, the 'KdF Hanomag' and 'KdF Stoll' for example.

Where ever does he manage to keep finding these rarest of the rare cars that suddenly turn up at shows :?

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
48REME
13 years ago

I remember that one very well, the RHD Standard Model, have a pic at home somewhere, ultra rare but suddenly turned up on the scene with Mr Shaill at Peppercorn.

Standard split wrote:

Like you say, John, ultra rare. So rare in fact that only one was ever made....in St. Leonards-on-sea, Sussex!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Standard split
13 years ago

Like you say, John, ultra rare. So rare in fact that only one was ever made....in St. Leonards-on-sea, Sussex!:lol: :lol: :lol:

48REME wrote:

VW have never mentioned their UK factory :? :lol:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
48REME
13 years ago

VW have never mentioned their UK factory :? :lol:

Standard split wrote:

They kept it secret for their employees to go and spend their paid holidays by the sea in exotic England! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Standard split
13 years ago

They kept it secret for their employees to go and spend their paid holidays by the sea in exotic England! :lol: :lol: :lol:

48REME wrote:

Riding along the sea front in KdF cabrios, no doubt 😛

The 'KdF Hanomag' has ended up in the hands of a collector in sunny New Zealand…… :roll:

48REME
13 years ago

Riding along the sea front in KdF cabrios, no doubt 😛

Standard split wrote:

Standard-RHD-KDF cabrios even! ooh, nasty! :lol:
Standard split
13 years ago

Standard-RHD-KDF cabrios even! ooh, nasty! :lol:

48REME wrote:

Yipes, I'll have to go – there's a 'KdF Passat Estate' just pulled up outside my window…………………:!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CNE789
13 years ago

Yipes, I'll have to go – there's a 'KdF Passat Estate' just pulled up outside my window…………………:!:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Standard split wrote:

Don´t laugh, don´t you remember the brand new 2009 KDF Golf GTI  I spotted?!? 😃 😃

UserPostedImage

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

Standard split
13 years ago

Don´t laugh, don´t you remember the brand new 2009 KDF Golf  I spotted?!? 😃 😃

CNE789 wrote:

Made in England by any chance :wink:

61 Devon
13 years ago
Perhaps you should have taken the time to talk the owner.
The car said straight out of his barn, not a barn find.

The story he told us is the body shell was stored at Karman Konnection for a long time up on a shelf. To get the car down it was just pushed off. The car has been put back together with mainly NOS parts.
Has had front end rust repairs but did look nice and solid on heater channels etc.
The car was in Chris Clarke's possession for a long time and is currently sitting on a Mexican floor pan.

The owner is the guy who runs Henley Beetles, so why not just talk to him ?

Why do I come on this site, the attitude of some of you so called no it all is beyond belief !
pre67vw
13 years ago

The car said straight out of his barn, not a barn find.

The story he told us is the body shell was stored at Karman Konnection for a long time up on a shelf. To get the car down it was just pushed off. The car has been put back together with mainly NOS parts.
Has had front end rust repairs but did look nice and solid on heater channels etc.
The car was in Chris Clarke's possession for a long time and is currently sitting on a Mexican floor pan.

Why do I come on this site, the attitude of some of you so called no it all is beyond belief !

61 Devon wrote:

I didn't manage to get to Stonor this year so obviously didn't see the car but have been following the thread out of interest. This clearly shows that there are two sides to every story, is there also an explanation for the rear window graft and price tag?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
13 years ago

61 Devon wrote:

Like that no-one ever fakes up early VWs. We've seen a few cut about examples shown recently – and yes, this may not be a fake, and yes I haven't seen it :roll:

Buying a Zwitter now is a game of chance, unless it is has the original headliner around the rear window (DeLuxe) or original paint around the rear window (Standard), or with good photgraphic history or you know the car well :evil:

There are individuals who fake cars – fact. Some of these fakes are in the hands of unsuspecting owners I fear (know of one) :?

GKL 7
13 years ago

61 Devon wrote:

You know,there is a simple answer to that one:lol: :lol: :lol:
13 years ago
As I walked up to it, I heard the owner of the "STANDARD zwitter" bug tell some one that it had disc brakes and was on a late chassis.. .he knows what he has got.. but I think the wording of the advert could be seen as a little misleading! I wanted to take a peak at an early standard with cable brakes to compare to my '53... Its clearly no longer a standard if its not got its chassis or brakes.. :cry:
www.vwoval.co.uk
Pricivius
13 years ago

... so why not just talk to him ?

61 Devon wrote:

Sorry, but in my opinion, you shouldn't need to talk to someone to find out that they are misrepresenting their car.

The more I read threads like this, the more I realise I got lucky with my zwitter. He's not perfect but at least he's a zwitter and I trusted his provenance and the number of previous owners who know their stuff (several of whom are on this site).

I'm not suggesting anything underhand was going on, but as far as I can see, if the owner knows his beetles as is suggested, then he knows that it is not really a zwitter any more and it certainly doesn't justify that price tag. Some would say that's the price of naivety but I find it unsettling.
Dawn
Ovaltine
13 years ago
I find a thread like this of real concern, that there seems to be people passing off fakes and even someone who it seems is making them.

I have been looking for a while now to get a split window beetle the styling at the rear is so attractive. A zwitter type appeals to me because they have most of the later body trim and interior parts that ovals have so it should be cheaper to maintain than the original splits which are fantastic but more of a show piece than a driver.

But with these fakes that are often ovals changed to zwitter splits I think i'll have to spend that much more and get the earlier model :?
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
69project
13 years ago

Sorry, but in my opinion, you shouldn't need to talk to someone to find out that they are misrepresenting their car.

The more I read threads like this, the more I realise I got lucky with my zwitter. He's not perfect but at least he's a zwitter and I trusted his provenance and the number of previous owners who know their stuff (several of whom are on this site).

I'm not suggesting anything underhand was going on, but as far as I can see, if the owner knows his beetles as is suggested, then he knows that it is not really a zwitter any more and it certainly doesn't justify that price tag. Some would say that's the price of naivety but I find it unsettling.

Pricivius wrote:

this is so true,there may well have been an early car in there somewhere but if people wasnt so secretive then maybe this wouldnt happen

if poster on car read...."been in my barn for a few years,was a standard split but has some updated parts but a nice starting point" then maybe it wouldnt be questioned

this is a trader remember and not a random spammer on ebay
Car less.....
GKL 7
13 years ago

This is a trader remember and not a random spammer on ebay

69project wrote:

Who was the trader making the sale???
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago

Who was the trader making the sale???

'50 Karmann wrote:

According to 61 Devon......

The car said straight out of his barn, not a barn find.............

Why do I come on this site...

61 Devon wrote:

Possibly because amongst the useless tripe :lol: there is sometimes quite an interesting topic to be found?
I was very surprised that no-one had posted about this car prior to myself doing so, though it now appears that it did catch the eye (for all the wrong reasons :evil: ) of many on here.......

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD