69project
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
It had been for sale in Luxemborg for some time. Nice unusual sunroof model though.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Not seen that one before but looks nice, wings are 60s, but I dont know that is such a big deal as it used to be now 50s wings supply really seems to being drying up all together! and if you were determined enough you could fix some tatty ones up, tank wrong and engine mentioned but apart from that looks to be all there, interior is nice and original too, always a helpful indicator of the life a car has had. Its not like there is a huge choice of original factory sunroof splits for sale :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Standard split
15 years ago
Does look good to look at. Shame that the rear lights have slid their way up the wings like snails, even leaving their trail behind them:!:

Always suspicious of zwitters being early ovals with the split-window grafted in, this one is no exception as there is no headlining around the inside of the rear window :?

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Yes, its terrible is'nt it, I too am suspicious of every sunroof or rhd car these days! unless its og paint and headlining! Thats just how bad it has become!
Looking at that front part of the sunroof mechanism though I can see the usual surface rust under the cover that appears to be original as its a typical age related trait.
But I see what you mean about most of the headlining missing now. But at least you will be able to see what is there so not a bad thing!
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Does look good to look at. Shame that the rear lights have slid their way up the wings like snails, even leaving their trail behind them:!:

Always suspicious of zwitters being early ovals with the split-window grafted in, this one is no exception as there is no headlining around the inside of the rear window :?

Standard split wrote:

your paranoid john :lol:
Sunroof53
15 years ago
looks like a genuine car .Great for long journeys to, with that extra fuel tank:wink:
61 Devon
15 years ago
55Kab
15 years ago
Welcome to the forum Si. Looks a nice car, good luck with the sale. If it had been UK RHD I would have been tempted to bid.

In fact come to think about it, does anyone know if there are any UK RHD Zwitter ragtops? I don't recall ever seeing one?
61 Devon
15 years ago
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Sorry we didnt mean our comments to sound negative, it IS an unusual and interesting car! I was kind of refering to the lumps and bumps under the front bar on the nice tired looking sunroof outer cover, always gets a bit lumpy looking there as damp gets trapped, either that or its had new rivets put along there years ago.
Either way, for me, its an indicator its original, and a very cool car and I would be very happy touching in its paintwork in spots and just leaving it if it were mine! its certainly got loads of charisma just as it is!

What we meant was only that as a deluxe so should have headlining around the rear windows etc, but its an easy fixer to buy just that part new from Lenny Copp or just leave it bare as is which is what I would do, as mine is a deluxe but does'nt have a single bit of that luxury headliner! :lol:

Good luck selling it, hope you never want another zwitter sunroof though in the future :shock: I think you will have a bugger of a hard time finding one again!
Standard split
15 years ago

No welding obvious, paint inside is original. Can check for evidence of roof liner. Was not aware there was anything missing.

Hi Si and welcome of course :d

You have to admit you have a rare car there :beer:

I agree with MrsHerbie, I'd keep the car much as possible as it is if it were mine. Restored cars do not have the character this has. I'd make those wayward back lights go back down to where they should be though :wink:

As I said earlier it does look good. If the back window is good inside with nice original undisturbed paint, I'd leave well alone. New headling could make it look that a window swap was being hidden.

October 52, that's an early zwitter (the dash was changed during October '52) 8)

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
61 Devon
15 years ago
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Had a few offers of exchange but nothing that really caught my imagination.
Car has a few rust issues which could do with been fixed.

If I go down the resto route what parts do people use for replacements
Floor pans
Heater channels

Thanks
Si

61 Devon wrote:

you cant buy correct floorpans or heater channels for a zwitter, they dont exsist, unless you can find nos ones which is near impossible, if it needs heater channels & floorpans its not worth 7k though...
Judson53
15 years ago

Had a few offers of exchange but nothing that really caught my imagination.
Car has a few rust issues which could do with been fixed.

If I go down the resto route what parts do people use for replacements
Floor pans
Heater channels

Thanks
Si

61 Devon wrote:

ive just got floor pans for my 53 from wolfsburg west :lol: dont think there 100% correct but exelent fit and quality
61 Devon
15 years ago
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Stu,
It's got a sunroof, so it's much too cool or you anyway !

The car is worth what someone will pay for it and not a penny more.
When restoring, it is patch or replace. Heater channels have some corrosion but are savable.
The drives floor pan has a hole behind the drivers seat. The rest of the pans, including battery tray are fine.

61 Devon wrote:

a sunroof is only cool if you like sunroofs..., exactly! a car IS only worth what someone will pay, so why are you insisting its worth £7250?, from your description its a project car..., good luck trying to get £7250 for a project car... :d
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I'm with you 61 Devon, I would hold out for the right money, its certainly worth much more than a 5k car. There is no current 'competition' I am aware of, ie. any other ORIGINAL sunroof splits for sale in uk? So very desirable as there are only a handful here ( we have one)
I dont think anyone can comment on any repairs it might need without seeing the car 😳 because even from these pics I do not see it can have a very rusty floor/channel issue probably more specific areas repairs than whole panels I would guess? Anyhow, good luck selling it. Be nice to see it at Stanford Hall, did you book it into the Historic lineup?
mrsherbie
15 years ago

a sunroof is only cool if you like sunroofs.

stu wrote:

But regardless of personal preference, like it or not, a genuine sunroof split IS worth at least 50% more than a tin top.
48REME
15 years ago
I think it looks great and it's a very reasonable price, when you compare with the amount
of overpriced rubbish that plagues the ads most of the time. Lovely feel to that car...