Rattletrap
13 years ago
The main problem today with a rarity such as yours Paul, isn't so much parts, (there's not much on a Standard!), its paint.

These cars look so much better in cellulose. Unfortunately the paint industry has moved well away from that type of paint. Modern paints can be too shiny for the look of a Standard, (which was a cheap base car remember) although does not look so out-of-place on a Deluxe (Rattletrap my '50 Deluxe split has acrylic paint and it suits okay). Two-pack for example gives a 'plasticy' (made-up word) appearance, as mentioned else-where here, seemingly never dulls. I know this as a couple of my Standards have this type of paint. I have kept one in the open (exposed car-port) for a few years now, and it has toned-down a little, no longer looking like its just been painted.:mellow:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
pre67vw
13 years ago
here we go again...

With really early cars I would agree with you John, but is there any evidence that a 57 standard would have been painted any differently from a deluxe? I find it hard to believe they would go through a seperate part of the production line to put on a different paint. By 57 the factory was in full swing and using a nice shiny and tough enamel style paint.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago
I agree with what you're saying Rob. The Standard and Deluxe from 1949 on used the same paint. My point is that today's paint has a more shiny artificial 'plastic' look than these early paints, and the chrome trimmed Deluxe carries it off better than the austere Standard model.:mellow:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Although I kind of get what you mean about the paint being 'plasticy', I think a well polished and shined up original paint (very good original paint) car would look the same. Just the 2 Pack paint would hold the shine for longer.

I see no reason to speed up the process of decaying the paint, I get that you like dull tatty old peoples cars, but when you try to age the paint by leaving them outside your getting into the realms of the ratlookers taking brillo pads and salt to their otherwise smart cars.

You've seen the period photos (one stick in my mind in particular, the one in a field with a threshing machine) of chrometrim-less standards, gleaming they were in the sun.
William
pre67vw
13 years ago

I get that you like dull tatty old peoples cars

54 Gertie wrote:

I think we all get that now... :wink:

I see no reason to speed up the process of decaying the paint

54 Gertie wrote:

:thumbup: I agree totally, fake patina is not cool. I'm sure that for a lot of people back in the day, a car was a huge investment and even a family owned standard would have been a pride and joy when new - it would have been cared for and kept shiny just like a deluxe.

Although if you want to neglect your car thats up to you I guess.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rattletrap
13 years ago

…fake patina is not cool. I'm sure that for a lot of people back in the day, a car was a huge investment and even a family owned standard would have been a pride and joy when new - it would have been cared for and kept shiny just like a deluxe.

pre67vw wrote:

I hate fake patina and this isn't. Gentle weathering makes the car look more original rather than a 50+ year old car with highly shiny acrylic paint.

Although if you want to neglect your car thats up to you I guess.

pre67vw wrote:

The car is protected from rain and snow falling on it under a car port. It also has Waxoyl protection and is most certainly not neglected, and it does look nice and original.:wink:

Rattletrap
13 years ago

…I get that you like dull tatty old peoples cars, but when you try to age the paint by leaving them outside your getting into the realms of the ratlookers taking brillo pads and salt to their otherwise smart cars.

54 Gertie wrote:

If you mean old Peoples Cars, you're right – but why tatty? People's different views on our hobby should be embraced.:wink:

But whatever, I like my cars to look nice, original and old.:thumbup:

Most people cannot tell the difference between an oval or a 2003 Mexican, and they'd probably would think an immaculate 60s Beetle was a new car if they saw it in the street.:mellow:

GKL 7
13 years ago

Most people cannot tell the difference between an oval or a 2003 Mexican, and they'd probably would think an immaculate 60s Beetle was a new car if they saw it in the street.:mellow:

Rattletrap wrote:

Are you really bothered about these people? I'm not.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Are you really bothered about these people? I'm not.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I guess not George, no-one sees my cars anyway.:oops:

It pleases me to see them looking like 'undiscovered treasure' in my garage though.:smile:

RoRoVw
13 years ago

With really early cars I would agree with you John, but is there any evidence that a 57 standard would have been painted any differently from a deluxe? I find it hard to believe they would go through a seperate part of the production line to put on a different paint. By 57 the factory was in full swing and using a nice shiny and tough enamel style paint.

pre67vw wrote:

The exterior of my 1960 standard was repainted around 1986 but the interior is still in original paint. The interior of my 1959 Deluxe is also in original paint. Both seem equally shiny to me and I don't think there's any difference in the paint finish between the two.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

The exterior of my 1960 standard was repainted around 1986 but the interior is still in original paint. The interior of my 1959 Deluxe is also in original paint. Both seem equally shiny to me and I don't think there's any difference in the paint finish between the two.

RoRoVw wrote:

Its the difference between that paint and today's gloss that I am highlighting – not the difference between Deluxe and Standard paint finish.:mellow:

pre67vw
13 years ago

Modern paints can be too shiny for the look of a Standard, (which was a cheap base car remember) although does not look so out-of-place on a Deluxe

Rattletrap wrote:

From this you're implying that they should be different, whereas in fact - they should be the same. A waxed and polished original car would not look very different from a car painted in a modern paint. You may prefer the look of a dulled standard, but lets not mix up taste with correctness...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago

here we go again...

I find it hard to believe they would go through a seperate part of the production line to put on a different paint.

pre67vw wrote:

100%
Making cars is a business and like any other,minimum costs maximum profit.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

From this you're implying that they should be different, whereas in fact - they should be the same. A waxed and polished original car would not look very different from a car painted in a modern paint. You may prefer the look of a dulled standard, but lets not mix up taste with correctness...

pre67vw wrote:

That's really because modern paint isn't really right for either cars, IMHO.:sleep:

pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
i get what you are saying about the paint. I always think that a freshly painted beetle always looks that ! a freshly painted beetle. I think this argument goes the way of original patina(or rusty paintwork) verses new paintwork. Either have great merits but it comes down to personal preference.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

i get what you are saying about the paint. I always think that a freshly painted beetle always looks that ! a freshly painted beetle.…

pmono wrote:

Thanks Paul, its been hard work here with some not grasping my point .:beer:

Thus my remedy below for a nice looking vintage Standard Beetle rather than a 2011 restoration look.:smile:

I've seen too many Standard models looking too artificial and 'plasticy' in recent years due to modern paint finish.:mellow:

…I have kept one in the open (exposed car-port) for a few years now, and it has toned-down a little, no longer looking like its just been painted.:mellow:

Rattletrap wrote:

54 Gertie
13 years ago
But your saying that you wouldn't want a factory fresh, 0 mile original paint car?

William
pre67vw
13 years ago

But your saying that you wouldn't want a factory fresh, 0 mile original paint car?

54 Gertie wrote:

I think he's saying that if he had one, he'd leave it outside to oxidise so that the original paint looked more authentic because standards shouldn't be shiny even though they were...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago

I think he's saying that if he had one, he'd leave it outside to oxidise so that the original paint looked more authentic because standards shouldn't be shiny even though they were...

pre67vw wrote:

Well whats his excuse for wrecking the perfectly good paint on a '49 DELUXE then?
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Well whats his excuse for wrecking the perfectly good paint on a '49 DELUXE then?

'50 Karmann wrote:

My '49 just has such a lovely aged patina. A 1949 VW with og paint is a delicate jewel to behold - are you suggesting a thorough T Cut and polish George.:o

pre67vw wrote:

I just consider that modern paint finishes need that little dulling down to look authentic, however its done. But nature does it rather well.:smile: