GKL 7
13 years ago

My '49 just has such a lovely aged patina. A 1949 VW with og paint is a delicate jewel to behold - are you suggesting a thorough T Cut and polish George.:o

Rattletrap wrote:

What i'm suggesting John is you should have looked after it in the first place.
Instead you set about deliberately trying to age it thru' neglect and poor maintenence.

Rattletrap
13 years ago

What i'm suggesting John is you should have looked after it in the first place.
Instead you set about deliberately trying to age it thru' neglect and poor maintenence.

'50 Karmann wrote:

The car is loved and preserved carefully.:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Just thought i would let you know that the car passed its mot first time and is now taxed and road legal !

Also can anyone tell me where i can get hold of any 30 hp end float shims(mach 7 wrong size) if anyone has any old ones for sale etc let me know.
paul
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Just thought i would let you know that the car passed its mot first time and is now taxed and road legal !

pmono wrote:

Congrats, you don't hang around.:beer:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
RoRoVw
13 years ago
That makes two RHD, standard, big window beetles road legal at the same time. Perhaps hasn't happened for years!
Well done!
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Also can anyone tell me where i can get hold of any 30 hp end float shims(mach 7 wrong size) if anyone has any old ones for sale etc let me know.
paul

pmono wrote:

I really struggled to find any for mine and had to scrounge used ones.

For this reason I'm in the middle of trying to set up a small supply and will report back in the next week or so...
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
six-o-one
13 years ago

paul

pmono wrote:

Well done Paul!! :beer:

Looking forward to seeing the car again sometime...

Malc 😎
Rattletrap
13 years ago
If we ask nicely, 48RME (Nicolas), may post a picture of his big-window sunroof Standard here. It's about as rare as VWs get. :wink:

48REME
13 years ago
Here you go...but John, please put on your sunglasses, it's going to gleam! :d
I think you should put up a pic of your RHD 56 STD. Not exactly very common either and quite appropriate, next to the 58 RHD STD.:smile:
https://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac356/TYPE115/1959%20SUNROOF%20STANDARD%20VW/WOLFSBURG02.jpg 
https://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac356/TYPE115/1959%20SUNROOF%20STANDARD%20VW/WOLFSBURG01.jpg 
pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
WOW !! What an amazing car. I can only aspire and feel humble.

paul
Rattletrap
13 years ago

WOW !! What an amazing car. I can only aspire and feel humble.

paul

pmono wrote:

Rattletrap never exaggerates – if he says its good, its good. Its all in the detail, Paul. Note Nicolas' car has the one horn grill, no 'dummy' one as per the Deluxe model. VW just had to keep the price of the Standard, the original People's Car, real low, as was the original concept. The UK number plates are the dog's do-dahs too, my favourite period style. :wink:

Thanks to Nicolas for doing that. :beer:

We Standard lovers need to stick together, we're an endangered species like the cars themselves. :smile:

Dakota
13 years ago
Hi
regarding end float shims they are the same size as Porsche 356 ones so try a Porsche main dealer or Roger Bray restorations in Whimple near Exeter or PRS Services in Essex or Karmann Konnection in Essex, Bill.
pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Hi
regarding end float shims they are the same size as Porsche 356 ones so try a Porsche main dealer or Roger Bray restorations in Whimple near Exeter or PRS Services in Essex or Karmann Konnection in Essex, Bill.

Dakota wrote:

I looked on the various Porsche websites and they all show the same exploded diagram with a single crank shim of approx 1mm, not the 3 shims of approx 0.3mm that the VW's use.

None of the parts lists on the various sites list thin crank shims...

Are you sure the Porsche has the same 3 shim set up, as I can't find any supporting evidence..

I'm looking at manufacturing some, but I'll not bother if they are readily available.

Anyone managed to actually source new ones?

EDIT: - Just come off the phone from Porsche UK and also Roger Bray who both confirmed that whilst the internal and extrnal diameters are the same, the 356 only uses 1 thick spacer, and not the 3 thin shims as per the VW design....
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...