elissat28
12 years ago
Hi
I'm totally new to this am finally in a position to buy my dream bug! I'm not into welding (i'll let a friend do that)but other renovations I'm going to be doing myself-I've set my heart on a 1967 1500cc but there seems to be a lot of variation (given renovations) and trying to find an authentic one is proving confusing; I'm viewing one Sunday, it's being sold as original but want to double check with you pros its authenticity since it's had 12 owners in its life (unlucky 13 i hoping to dispell!). can anyone look at this and tell me whats right/missing/different please? i would be so grateful- thanks in advance...

BeetleA.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  beetleB.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  bug 3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  bug4.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
beefykeefy
12 years ago
Got any pictures or a link? The 67 perves on here can take a look and advise on it's originality...

Try looking at Robb's resto thread on here, as that's what a 67 should look like.

Here's mine -

UserPostedImage
beefykeefy
12 years ago

Hi
I'm totally new to this am finally in a position to buy my dream bug! I'm not into welding (i'll let a friend do that)but other renovations I'm going to be doing myself-I've set my heart on a 1967 1500cc but there seems to be a lot of variation (given renovations) and trying to find an authentic one is proving confusing; I'm viewing one Sunday, it's being sold as original but want to double check with you pros its authenticity since it's had 12 owners in its life (unlucky 13 i hoping to dispell!). can anyone look at this and tell me whats right/missing/different please? i would be so grateful- thanks in advance...

elissat28 wrote:

Seen this on ebay and it isn't original 😞
elissat28
12 years ago

Got any pictures or a link? The 67 perves on here can take a look and advise on it's originality...

Try looking at Robb's resto thread on here, as that's what a 67 should look like.

Here's mine -

UserPostedImage

beefykeefy wrote:

Thanks for getting in touch (as quickly) yours is a stunner! can I ask what the front indicators are like please? are they fender mounted or still in with the lights I can't seem to find a definitive answer on where they should be they all seem different?!
beefykeefy
12 years ago

Thanks for getting in touch (as quickly) yours is a stunner! can I ask what the front indicators are like please? are they fender mounted or still in with the lights I can't seem to find a definitive answer on where they should be they all seem different?!

elissat28 wrote:

Front indicators should be on the wings.

Aluminium bonnet trim is missing. Wing mirrors look door mounted, and there should only be one on the driver's door hinge. Interior certainly isn't original...
elissat28
12 years ago

Seen this on ebay and it isn't original 😞

beefykeefy wrote:

thanks for letting me know! i was having doubts when I've been researching (you live in hope) can I ask what isn'toriginal about it (to give me a better idea on my quest for the dream 67')
beefykeefy
12 years ago

Sure I'd seen this on ebay -

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1967-vw-beetle-All-original-Daily-drive-/270746687816?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f09c29948 

Doors have been changed. Should be only one mirror mounted on the driver's door hinge.

For starters 67 doors, deck kid, rear valence, body and bonnet aluminium trim, hub caps, dash knobs are unique to the year. I'm sure others will add more to the list.

Look for a 1500 67.
elissat28
12 years ago

Sure I'd seen this on ebay -

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1967-vw-beetle-All-original-Daily-drive-/270746687816?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f09c29948 

Doors have been changed. Should be only one mirror mounted on the driver's door hinge.

For starters 67 doors, deck kid, rear valence, body and bonnet aluminium trim, hub caps, dash knobs are unique to the year. I'm sure others will add more to the list.

Look for a 1500 67.

beefykeefy wrote:

you got any ideas where the best places to look for legit 67's would be?
mooney3019
12 years ago
you should buy a 65 !:roll:
elissat28
12 years ago

you should buy a 65 !:roll:

mooney3019 wrote:

a 65 why???
64rotbox
12 years ago
That red '67. "All original", the ad says. The nerve of the man...
You can call me Al.
elissat28
12 years ago

64rotbox wrote:

ha ha :d
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

64rotbox wrote:

The man should be horse-whipped...it could hardly be less original.:roll:
John.
Robb
12 years ago
after spending a year welding up a very original 67 bug myself, i would look at a pre 65 bug- the metal is far thicker and less prone to rusting. paint was also thicker.

67 only models are also difficult to find the one year only parts for.
beefykeefy
12 years ago

after spending a year welding up a very original 67 bug myself, i would look at a pre 65 bug- the metal is far thicker and less prone to rusting. paint was also thicker.

67 only models are also difficult to find the one year only parts for.

Robb wrote:

Take a look at mooney3019's car. If you want an unmolested original Beetle, you won't find better.

And as Robb says, parts for 67's are hard to source if you want to retain originality.
Old Blue
12 years ago
We're looking for a 1958 Beetle, but I'd suggest any pre 1965 car is the way to go. The smaller windows with thicker pillars not only make for a sturdier car but they do look more vintage than post 1964 cars and are more useable on a regular basis than splits and ovals.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
elissat28
12 years ago

We're looking for a 1958 Beetle, but I'd suggest any pre 1965 car is the way to go. The smaller windows with thicker pillars not only make for a sturdier car but they do look more vintage than post 1964 cars and are more useable on a regular basis than splits and ovals.

Old Blue wrote:

This is brilliant thank you to everyone who's posted so far your advice it's really appreciated; so you're saying if I can't find a good 1967 a 1964 would be a good option what engine capacity would be best? Sorry for all the questions I've always dreamed of owning a bug but hate to see them modernised to boy racers thanks again
64rotbox
12 years ago
Any standard pre-1966 model car will (should) be a 1200...

Don't get too hung up on what year a car is, just look for something that hasn't been messed about with or badly repaired. Not an easy task, I'll warn you now. Condition is king, and it's a bloody minefield out there.
You can call me Al.
harveypj
12 years ago

Any standard pre-1966 model car will (should) be a 1200...

Don't get too hung up on what year a car is, just look for something that hasn't been messed about with or badly repaired. Not an easy task, I'll warn you now. Condition is king, and it's a bloody minefield out there.

64rotbox wrote:

Totaly agree in this instance, condition/originality first, year/colour a nice to have.

Stock......the new custom
mooney3019
12 years ago
Ellissat28, the reason I said you should get a 65 is I have one for sale at the mo its in the classifieds, you wont find a better unrestored car, 56,000 miles from new, any way drop me a line if you want to know more.