andelises
13 years ago
hi all i am new here and wanted to share my new resto with you. i picked this up last week and payed £400 for it. can any one tell me wy it has no trim on the bonnet. there is no holes were it was ment to be and they have not been filled

here is a few photos so far
 $(KGrHqZ,!iwE2Kd1dhqtBNlJSVJWzQ~~_3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  $(KGrHqF,!lEE2EFS0K0VBNlJSK52Hw~~_3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  $(KGrHqN,!icE2LmHNm!HBNlJSiDCiw~~_3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
andelises
13 years ago
ok so after finding all the rust im thinking time to get the body off. i got the doors lined up and welded a support frame on the inside. took all the bolts out and fuel tank, wires and all that. it was then ready to lift so i lifted the body and the wife slid some stools under(almost stools somewere els to). same with the back and rolled the floor pan out. i the knocked up a dolly so a can move the body easy  13 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  15 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  17 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  18 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  25 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  27 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
andelises
13 years ago
more  31 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  35 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  44 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  46 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  50 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  51 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
andelises
13 years ago
it was a bizzzzzzzzy week  54 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  55 (800x600).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  58 (800x600) (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  60 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  61 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  64 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
64rotbox
13 years ago

Can any one tell me why it has no trim on the bonnet?

andelises wrote:

I assume it's a 1200 base model, which would explain it. Looks like you've got things in hand there, anyway!
You can call me Al.
andelises
13 years ago

I assume it's a 1200 base model, which would explain it. Looks like you've got things in hand there, anyway!

64rotbox wrote:

hi yes it is a 1200. did they come with no trim? this is my 1st beetle so will prob be asking for a lot of help. it was last on the road 21 years ago:unsure:
64rotbox
13 years ago
Base models have no bonnet trim. You'll also note there's no dash trim, the earlier style speedometer, the 'small' headliner (i.e. not down the pillars and around the windows), a reserve tap instead of a fuel gauge and a 6 volt electrical system amongst other things. It's not exactly a 'rare and sought after' model, but there aren't that many of them around. It doesn't look like it's had much bodging before, so should be a good car to restore properly. Well worth £400, anyway!
You can call me Al.
andelises
13 years ago

Base models have no bonnet trim. You'll also note there's no dash trim, the earlier style speedometer, the 'small' headliner (i.e. not down the pillars and around the windows), a reserve tap instead of a fuel gauge and a 6 volt electrical system amongst other things. It's not exactly a 'rare and sought after' model, but there aren't that many of them around. It doesn't look like it's had much bodging before, so should be a good car to restore properly. Well worth £400, anyway!

64rotbox wrote:

thank you very much for your help and info. i also need to insur the car for peace of mind. do you no what sort of value the car will be worth restored as i am unshore what to put the value at

thanks
64rotbox
13 years ago
Value? No idea, as I don't know to what standard you'll be restoring the car and how good the work's going to be.

By the way, it's a 1968 car you've got, not a 1967. A common mistake. A lot of people seem to think the distinction between model years and actual build dates is unimportant, but it's not when you're trying to get the correct parts for the car ordered...
You can call me Al.
andelises
13 years ago

Value? No idea, as I don't know to what standard you'll be restoring the car and how good the work's going to be.

By the way, it's a 1968 car you've got, not a 1967. A common mistake. A lot of people seem to think the distinction between model years and actual build dates is unimportant, but it's not when you're trying to get the correct parts for the car ordered...

64rotbox wrote:

thanks again. it will be to a high standard with all new parts apart from what can be sand blasted back to bare metal. all new heater channels and metal cuts were needed. bare metal rub down. professional respray and inner fit. all at no cost spared.

o a 1968. glad you said that as on the log book it says 1967. so when getting part do i need to order for a 68

64rotbox
13 years ago
You'll be looking at £3k at least, in that case. But in the end it'll be up to what you can thrash out with the insurers as regards to agreed value and all that...

Yes, you'll be needing (generally) to order parts for a '68-on car. For example, if you blindly ordered a pair of front brake drums for a 1967 1200, you'd end up with the earlier 5-bolt type. A 1967 bonnet won't fit, nor will the engine lid, the doors will be slightly different, valances are totally different, etc etc. Remember that electrical parts will be 6V rather than 12V, which may cause confusion in some cases. VW used the base models to get rid of a lot of older parts. If in doubt, ask twice!

The log book will probably say it was registered sometime during 1967, but a car built from the 1st of August 1967 to the 31st of July 1968 is a 1968 model. It catches a lot of people out. As I said, 'model years' and the actual year a car was built don't always match up.
You can call me Al.
andelises
13 years ago

You'll be looking at £3k at least, in that case. But in the end it'll be up to what you can thrash out with the insurers as regards to agreed value and all that...

Yes, you'll be needing (generally) to order parts for a '68-on car. For example, if you blindly ordered a pair of front brake drums for a 1967 1200, you'd end up with the earlier 5-bolt type. A 1967 bonnet won't fit, nor will the engine lid, the doors will be slightly different, valances are totally different, etc etc. Remember that electrical parts will be 6V rather than 12V, which may cause confusion in some cases. VW used the base models to get rid of a lot of older parts. If in doubt, ask twice!

The log book will probably say it was registered sometime during 1967, but a car built from the 1st of August 1967 to the 31st of July 1968 is a 1968 model. It catches a lot of people out. As I said, 'model years' and the actual year a car was built don't always match up.

64rotbox wrote:

o thats a gud price. i never intend to sell it but good to put a price on it incase the scrap man takes it when im in work. you never no these days.

ok well thanks again for your help. i will now get some parts on order

ps do i need to get a 6v batter or will a 12v be ok
64rotbox
13 years ago
You won't get £3k on it as it is. I was talking about when it was finished... I've got no experience of having projects insured, but I'm sure someone else on here must have.

You'll need a 6V battery, or you'll fry most of the electrical components within seconds.
You can call me Al.
andelises
13 years ago

You won't get £3k on it as it is. I was talking about when it was finished... I've got no experience of having projects insured, but I'm sure someone else on here must have.

You'll need a 6V battery, or you'll fry most of the electrical components within seconds.

64rotbox wrote:

yes i understand that. they was asking how mush it was restored.

6v ok will pop and get one now as iv got the engine ready to test
andelises
13 years ago
just got the engine running after 21 years. sprayed some wd40 down the plug holes. cleaned the pugs and points but it was just terning. anyway cleaned the other parts inside the dizzy cap and it fired up. what a nice sound . let it tick over for untill hot and then drained the oil. tooke the engine off and put it to one side ready for a rebuild. 3in1 plus gas what a help. ive now got it in the garge ready to take all the wheels brakes and gearbox out for a rebuild.  71 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  72 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  74 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  78 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  93 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
64rotbox
13 years ago

yes i understand that. they was asking how mush it was restored.

6v ok will pop and get one now as iv got the engine ready to test

andelises wrote:

Righto, I wasn't sure we were talking about exactly the same thing! Engine running already? Great stuff! That's more achieved in a day than I tend to achieve in a year... or five, thinking about it.
You can call me Al.
andelises
13 years ago

Righto, I wasn't sure we were talking about exactly the same thing! Engine running already? Great stuff! That's more achieved in a day than I tend to achieve in a year... or five, thinking about it.

64rotbox wrote:

haha i started it all last week and cant stop now. but back to work tomorrow so wont get much done this week:cry: but then you cant rush these things. 1 year or five just think of the joy and the summer runs when its done

ye it was a god send when it started :drool: and sounded realy good.

im hoping to have it on the road this time next year. we will see.

RoRoVw
13 years ago
I'll bet it's kept your neighbours amused all weekend!
Great work and so quickly too.
Cheers.
andelises
13 years ago

I'll bet it's kept your neighbours amused all weekend!
Great work and so quickly too.
Cheers.

RoRoVw wrote:

thanks im realy enjoying it. i dont think the neighbours wasnt to happy with the mess but they will never get the bug thing. well rain stoped play today so i have removed the front beam and gaerbox. god theres a bit of wight in them and front beam bolts was a task to free  91 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  95 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  96 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
andelises
13 years ago
done a little more this week. just waiting for new seals and then a full gearbox rebiuld  101 (640x480).jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.