Piet
  • Piet
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
12 years ago
So after seeing a couple of ovals I am confused. Did European market ovals at some point had no cut outs in the rear apron and already had snowflakes? Or even better, did they ever had heart tail lights with the dual cutouts?
I know it was common practice to install dual tip exhausts late in the fifty's and accordingly adjust the apron.:oops:  54 sneeuw.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  54 haan.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Hi there the photo shows one of the first ovals in the U/K with no cut outs. The shell is the first or second that Gilders the VW dealers in Sheffield had in the beginning of VW in the U/K. Dont know about the tail lamps.

Andy W   ov.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Mike Peckham
12 years ago
My 1953, UK supplied RHD sun roof beetle (OGX 777) had a rear apron with cut outs for twin tail pipes, there was no evidence of it having been changed but I'm reasonably confident that it must have been.

I would guess that there was a cottage industry, if not a VW approved update to replace the rear apron for the later type to accomodate the new exhaust, just as there was a VW approved kit to convert a split into an oval!

I think OGX 777 is in Italy now having a top notch restoration, if anybody knows anything about it, I'd love to hear...

Mike :thumbup:
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Piet
  • Piet
12 years ago

I would guess that there was a cottage industry, if not a VW approved update to replace the rear apron for the later type to accomodate the new exhaust, just as there was a VW approved kit to convert a split into an oval!

Mike Peckham wrote:

That could be a reason Mike! It must have happened a lot because there seem to be a lot of ovals updated this way. Did the single tip exhaust became obsolete that fast or was it just a cosmetic update?

Progressive refinements states August 4 1955: stop and tail lights moved 60mm higher, brake light lens no longer provided and at the same time new dual tip exhaust. Changes typical for new 56 model.

So the photo's I showed above are updated aprons then..still weird. That's a lot of work involved.

Anyone else has a theory?
Proost! Peter.
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Was it early May 55 that the American Bugs went to twin tail pipes?

Andy W
Piet
  • Piet
12 years ago
I don't know Andy, the American market is a different story.
They already had the heart lights dissapear in late 54 but still in the same location came a bulbous light without hearts.
So if you think they went to a dual pipe in May, they maybe used these aprons for the domestic market also from May on sometimes. (guess)
I wonder if it was an option or something over here.
Proost! Peter.
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
All heart and US bubble light models had single exhaust.

All snowflake light models had dual exhaust.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Piet
  • Piet
12 years ago
OK thanks Rich, I take that as facts.

So, in early May 55, all American ovals came with the cut outs (acc.samba also).
They must have been assembling European ovals in a number of cases with dual tip mufflers/aprons before august 55. No doubt.
Eventually, the 56 model worldwide had twins as a standard.
Then those photo's are original 55ers. Plausibel!!

Thanks, got that off my mind!:smile:

Proost! Peter.
GKL 7
12 years ago
Piet,you need an avatar.
Piet
  • Piet
12 years ago
I'm working on it, Thanks!
Proost! Peter.