1958 Harry
12 years ago
We have a baby on the way, so to enable us to enjoy our '58 bug with the baby we need to fit inertia reel seatbelts to the rear seat.

I understand there aren't mounting points on a '58 bug so what is the best way to fit them whilst retaining a stock look?
Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
1958 Harry
12 years ago
Just researching this a bit, it seems a lot if work to fit them in the rear, however my bug originally comes from Sweden and I know it had front seatbelts fitted (removed before i got the car), so perhaps reinstating them might be a better option, that way when we use the car (for shows, etc) we can fit the baby seat in the front...

We have 2 modern cars but it's going to be difficult to use the bug unless a baby seat can be safely fitted...
pre67vw
12 years ago
Inertia belts and retaining stock look don't really go hand in hand, but I understand why you want to do it. It would involve welding nuts to some thick plate, the weld the plate into the car (with the nut on the back side so it can't pull through). It's going to be ugly...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
A friend fitted static belts to clip to the baby seat. Dont know how you would fit modern belts to the car without altering the integrety of the car. But were theres a will theres a way.

Andy W
1958 Harry
12 years ago
My bug originally had seatbelts in the front (I have pics of him with them) so perhaps I'd be better off reinstating the front ones and fitting the seat in the front, I'm happy with statics providing they secure our Maxi Cosi baby seat properly.

Any ideas what type would have been fitted in the fronts in Sweden? Mine deffo has the upper mounting holes in the B pillars and some strange holes in the transmission tunnel near the VIN which I assume were seatbelt related.
pre67vw
12 years ago
Here's a little more info on adding belts, https://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqblts.htm 

But you're right, fronts would be easier if the holes are already there.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
beefykeefy
12 years ago
Don't know if a '58 has captive bolts under the rear seats, i.e. 2 in the middle just above the tunnel and 2 more just below the rear passenger cards?

If it has, your third fixing point could be in the firewall, down in the rear luggage compartment... drill holes through and fix scab plates engine side and voila.

There out the way and behind the tar board (if you have one). Still ugly, but a good compromise...
1958 Harry
12 years ago
This is my bug :

UserPostedImage

This was his original interior (removed by his first UK owner in 2005) and replaced with a weird flowery interior, which has since been replaced. You can see the front seatbelts in this pic, any ideas on these belts?

UserPostedImage

His interior as it is now (he'd just had some work done hence the grubbiness!)

UserPostedImage

1958 Harry
12 years ago

Don't know if a '58 has captive bolts under the rear seats, i.e. 2 in the middle just above the tunnel and 2 more just below the rear passenger cards?

If it has, your third fixing point could be in the firewall, down in the rear luggage compartment... drill holes through and fix scab plates engine side and voila.

There out the way and behind the tar board (if you have one). Still ugly, but a good compromise...

beefykeefy wrote:

Are the captive nuts just below where the rear seat back bolts on? If they are he deffo has them, it looks like there was something mounted on the tunnel by the shift coupling hole, but these are just holes now, no captive nuts.

beefykeefy
12 years ago

Are the captive nuts just below where the rear seat back bolts on? If they are he deffo has them............

1958 Harry wrote:

Yes.

Nice motor by the way.
12 years ago
Hi Harry,
I have a Swedish Jan'59 I'm restoring, it has the same interior and front belts you originally had in your bug. The belts are static diagonal type (no lap belt) and have a keyway mounting on 'b' pillar so you can turn 180 degrees and remove completely. The end - (floor fixing) goes through the floorpan either side of tunnel fixing to 1/8th steel plate.
As for securing a child/baby seat these would be a Big NO! A carefully chosen inertia belt would blend in discreetly and stop precious cargo tasting the dash!

I noticed 2 pressings with holes on the rear panel behind back seat, anyone know if these were for rear belt fixings? (The hole/pressing is angled towards the top of rear backrest).

By the way Harry, the fixing on the 'b' pillar is a steel plate with captured nuts and is held by an oddly bent wire - kind of makes it a floating plate - Mind you don't drop it down the inside of the pillar :thumbdn:
1958 Harry
12 years ago
Hi, thanks for the info! My bug doesnt have any holes in the floor pans, and nothings been welded up (has it's og pans, heater channels, etc, etc all with the original underseal), the only holes it has is in the transmission tunnel under the rear seat near the shift linkage inspection plate???

Also do you have some pics of your front belts, I'm interested to see them 🙂
ianmac
12 years ago
Having 2 small children myself I know there is a solution to this problem; you need to purchase 2 things; a child seat which has ISOFIX fittings, in my opinion the only seat to use, ISOFIX clamps to a solid mount in all modern cars and is 100% secure. Ford make a retrofit kit to allow isofix mount to all of their older models and the best thing is it fits perfectly into a beetle. The isofix bar needs to be bolted to the metal work under the back seat, the only negative is you need to drill 2x 8 or 10mm holes, the isofix arms go between the top and bottom part of the seat so when the child seat is removed there is absolutely no evidence of the fixing.

https://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/product/ISOfix_mounting_kit_Focus_-_1357238_F1357238-392 

My brother has this in his '55 vert and I have in my '51.:thumbup: [url=https://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/product/ISOfix_mounting_kit_Focus_-_1357238_F1357238-392][/url]
12 years ago
Here you go Harry...
 seat belt 1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  seat belt 2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  seat belt 5.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  seat belt 3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  seat belt 4.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  seat belt 4.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
1958 Harry
12 years ago
Ahhh I see! you've finally solved the mystery of those seatbelts for me!!!

Now I've been thinking about this further,

Now I've had either a brainwave or a totally dumb idea. We have bought an Isofix base for our seat as both our modern cars have this, can anyone see the issue with having Isofix mountings installed under the rear seat of my '58? I was thinking if I got the mountings cut from a scrap NB, something like that and welded in the appropriate places so the Isofix base can be clipped into the rear seat?

Would this be possible? Would it be safe? I personally think it could be safer than trying to retrofit rear belts in a car never designed to have them as the mountings would be welded to the chassis, but not being visible won't alter the car visually internally.

What's peeps thoughts on this?
1958 Harry
12 years ago

Having 2 small children myself I know there is a solution to this problem; you need to purchase 2 things; a child seat which has ISOFIX fittings, in my opinion the only seat to use, ISOFIX clamps to a solid mount in all modern cars and is 100% secure. Ford make a retrofit kit to allow isofix mount to all of their older models and the best thing is it fits perfectly into a beetle. The isofix bar needs to be bolted to the metal work under the back seat, the only negative is you need to drill 2x 8 or 10mm holes, the isofix arms go between the top and bottom part of the seat so when the child seat is removed there is absolutely no evidence of the fixing.

https://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/product/ISOfix_mounting_kit_Focus_-_1357238_F1357238-392 

My brother has this in his '55 vert and I have in my '51.:thumbup: [url=https://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/product/ISOfix_mounting_kit_Focus_-_1357238_F1357238-392][/url]

ianmac wrote:

Wow great minds!!! I just had that brainwave myself!!!

You are a legend and have just solved my dilemma! And best of all that kits not all that expensive!!!

Do you have a pic of it fitted under your seat (so I can see position, etc)?