vintagebug
11 years ago
Just gone up on the BBC website a few minutes ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18146326 

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great news for the vast majority of vintage VW owners and others, but I'm sure there'll be a few who'll use the excuse "I don't need an MOT, mate" to drive their cars no matter how unroadworthy & dangerous they are :shock:
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
11 years ago
I don't like the sound of that!
When buying a classic car, a recent MOT is one way of determining that the car is road worthy.
There will soon be very little difference between a running project requiring welding and a road worthy car.
I wonder how many 'unfinished projects' will be hitting the streets?

Buyer beware!

:shock:
vintagebug
11 years ago

...a recent MOT is one way of determining that the car is road worthy.

six-o-one wrote:

I don't agree with that, Malc. In 95% of cases, yes, a recent MOT is a good indicator that a car is in roadworthy condition (at the time that the MOT was carried out). However, "dodgy" MOTs can be had...

There will soon be very little difference between a running project requiring welding and a road worthy car.

six-o-one wrote:

Well there'll be absolutely no difference. All pre-1960 cars will be deemed roadworthy as long as they can move under their own power, won't they? They could have the floorpan hanging off, leaky brakes etc but still be classed as roadworthy. I guess they could still be stopped by the police for inoperative lights and other visible defects, but it does leave it wide open for "bodged-up" cars to be driven around...

Buyer beware!

six-o-one wrote:

Agreed. As always, even with a full MOT, it's buyer beware!

Dave
pre67vw
11 years ago
Does seem a very odd move.

I guess this makes imports easier though? Previously if you imported an Oval you'd have to MOT it before you got it registered, now you'll just import it and get it registered? :thumbup:

Anyone got a pre '60 pan for sale? :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
I thourght there were only three types of vehicles that did not need an mot thay are cars under three year old, Crown vehicals and another set wich if you dont know what thay are then it dose not matter. Even Veteran cars have to undergo a test But it is differant to the norm. Mobile cranes used to be exempt. I suspect its just more hot air being genarated by some one. An MOT test is only relivant at the time of test. and not five minutes later on the same day.

Andy W
GKL 7
11 years ago

I don't like the sound of that!
When buying a classic car, a recent MOT is one way of determining that the car is road worthy.

Buyer beware!

six-o-one wrote:

X2

Agree with Malc on this one.
Although we may all dislike MOT time,it's still an indication your car is road worthy.
We've all looked at cars at shows and wondered how the hell did he get an MOT,well now he doesn't have to.And when cash is tight,will people take a risk.

Don't come crying Dave when you get taken out by a dangerous vehicle.It's not only Volkswagens that were made before 1960.

The government earlier announced measurement to clamp down on modified vehicles through a more stringent MOT.So now all the modified boys need is a pre '60.Might push the prices up even more.So if you own one......hold out for more cash:thumbup:
64rotbox
11 years ago
A ridiculous move, IMHO...
You can call me Al.
six-o-one
11 years ago
Didn't you need an MOT to be able to transfer a registration from an old car?
If they are scrapping the MOT then any old car with an interesting plate is worth buying for the plate!

And why 1960? Why not 1972 like the tax?

Malc
six-o-one
11 years ago
And another thing!

Classic car insurance on pre 1960 cars is bound to escalate due to the number of dangerous vehicles on the road!
I bet they ask for an engineers report!

:roll:
pre67vw
11 years ago

And another thing!

Classic car insurance on pre 1960 cars is bound to escalate due to the number of dangerous vehicles on the road!
I bet they ask for an engineers report!

:roll:

six-o-one wrote:

or they might give discount for cars that are MOT'd (you'll still be able to MOT your pre-60 if you want to). Plus if you're selling a pre '60 you could get a quick MOT just to show the buyer that it's a good car.

I don't really think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure it's going to lead to a load of dangerous cars on the road to be honest. The police will still be able to pull you over and ticket you, if anything you now won't be able to pull out an MOT as your defense.

I wrote to the MP in charge of this when it was being suggested and my idea was to introduce a 'classic' MOT that pre '60 cars would go through. The test would be a cut down version of the full MOT that centered around safety. His response was basically that this was an EU directive and the UK had the choice to either opt in to it or opt out of it, there was no scope for making your own rules up, at which point I realised how little we now control our own country. This is why it's 1960 and not tied into our own historic tax date of 72.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
11 years ago

The police will still be able to pull you over and ticket you

pre67vw wrote:

When Mr.C's finished,there will be very few of them left.

Little bit of politics there.......  benelton300.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vintagebug
11 years ago

Don't come crying Dave when you get taken out by a dangerous vehicle.It's not only Volkswagens that were made before 1960.

GKL 7 wrote:

Read my first post again, George :wink:

"Great news for the vast majority of vintage VW owners and others, but I'm sure there'll be a few who'll use the excuse "I don't need an MOT, mate" to drive their cars no matter how unroadworthy & dangerous they are "

Dave
GKL 7
11 years ago
Yes Dave, i read your first post. I read your second one aswell:p

Can't believe,all over the internet this is being treated as great news.
There'll be some right old sheds on the road.
True about transfering of cherished numbers 'tho,don't even need a car now,just a V5:roll:
GKL 7
11 years ago
Yes Dave, i read your first post. I read your second one aswell:p

Can't believe,all over the internet this is being treated as great news.
There'll be some right old sheds on the road.
True about transfering of cherished numbers 'tho,don't even need a car now,just a V5:roll:
RoRoVw
11 years ago

or they might give discount for cars that are MOT'd (you'll still be able to MOT your pre-60 if you want to). Plus if you're selling a pre '60 you could get a quick MOT just to show the buyer that it's a good car.

I don't really think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure it's going to lead to a load of dangerous cars on the road to be honest. The police will still be able to pull you over and ticket you, if anything you now won't be able to pull out an MOT as your defense.

I wrote to the MP in charge of this when it was being suggested and my idea was to introduce a 'classic' MOT that pre '60 cars would go through. The test would be a cut down version of the full MOT that centered around safety. His response was basically that this was an EU directive and the UK had the choice to either opt in to it or opt out of it, there was no scope for making your own rules up, at which point I realised how little we now control our own country. This is why it's 1960 and not tied into our own historic tax date of 72.

pre67vw wrote:

When all this was first suggested I downloaded the consultation document that the Government produced. One of the points it made was that you won't be able to opt for a voluntary MoT test. Of course you may be able to pay your local testing station to put the car on the rolling road for a brake test and get him to check it over underneath, but he won't be able to issue any sort of road worthiness certificate afterwards.
pre67vw
11 years ago

When all this was first suggested I downloaded the consultation document that the Government produced. One of the points it made was that you won't be able to opt for a voluntary MoT test. Of course you may be able to pay your local testing station to put the car on the rolling road for a brake test and get him to check it over underneath, but he won't be able to issue any sort of road worthiness certificate afterwards.

RoRoVw wrote:

I've read that optional mots would still be available, although granted I've not read anything official. But I'm sure there'll be ways to satisfy insurers and buyers without the classic car industry falling into chaos.

So, anyone got a '50 chassis for sale?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
RoRoVw
11 years ago

I've read that optional mots would still be available, although granted I've not read anything official. But I'm sure there'll be ways to satisfy insurers and buyers without the classic car industry falling into chaos.

So, anyone got a '50 chassis for sale?

pre67vw wrote:

Part of the consultation exercise involved the insurance industry so hopefully the Government will have taken their views into account.

One point that stood out when I was reading the document was that throughout the Government refered to pre 1960 vehicles as being 'Historic' or of 'Historical' importance. However, as we know, for taxation purposes the DVLA consider an 'Historic' vehicle to be one built before 1973. The thought did occur to me that they might now decide to bring the two into line and say that pre 1960 vehicles are the only ones that are tax exempt and so bring vehicles built between 1960 and 1973 back into the PLG taxation category. Or am I just being suspicious of the Government's motives??
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Thats a good point RoRoVw about bringing 72 cars back to 60 for free tax its going to cost some one some were.

Andy W

The polo gose for test tomorrow so i will ask the tester to see what he knows about it.
Old Blue
11 years ago

X2

The government earlier announced measurement to clamp down on modified vehicles through a more stringent MOT.So now all the modified boys need is a pre '60.Might push the prices up even more.So if you own one......hold out for more cash:thumbup:

GKL 7 wrote:

The odds of being hit by a pre 1960 vehicle must be akin to a lottery win. The odds of being hit by an unroadworthy one even slimmer. Get a grip. The danger on roads is posed by modern cars (millions around), and especially the second-hand banger ones driven by cash-strapped youngsters at ridiculous speeds.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
11 years ago

Thats a good point RoRoVw about bringing 72 cars back to 60 for free tax its going to cost some one some were.

AW wrote:

Read in a classic mag that 1972 is the last year to legally display the vintage black number plates instead of the damn awful yellow ones. So the vintage free tax fits in well ending pre1973. It would on the face of it seem a good idea to have the MOT exemption up to 1972, but there are more cars from the 60s and 70s than pre 60s that are very capable in modern traffic, and more likely to be used daily and not checked regularly by the owners. Also as cars get newer they become more complicated and more in need of knowledgeable maintenace or check-over.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!