Greg
  • Greg
  • Newbie Topic Starter
11 years ago
Hi guys.
Just joined and hope it will be fun from her onwards.
I am in the process of converting a '56 and a '63 beetle into a KDF 82.
Has been really interesting project to say the least. Had to manufacture dash boards and split ovals etc.

What I would really like to find out what Div. markings verious kdf's had during the war. I have a lot of material and have done endless research on this topic but have only come up with a picture (drawing)of a DAK beetle with the palm tree markings.

Anybody out there that could perhaps help?
Cheers
Greg
South Africa
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Hi Welcome to the site Greg. I also have a soft spot for the 82e and have some info on div marks etc even for certain years etc. I would love to see some photos of your car and what spec you are building it to :wink:

Andy W
Greg
  • Greg
  • Newbie Topic Starter
11 years ago
Hi Andy.
Tried to load some pics but turned out to be a bit of a mission. I am not to clever when it come to PC stuff like posting pics etc. Could you perhaps help me out with some pics of your own concerning div. markings.

Reenacting is pretty big and serious here in South Africa and I am a big believer in doing the whole historical correct thing! We should have about 6 KDF beetles that I know of here in SA when my two and a mate of mine has completed his. So, proof of div. marking that was used would be most welcome!

Greg:beer:
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
You mave a P/M
pre67vw
11 years ago
Welcome! I'd love to see some pics as well

How to post photos 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Gregs photos  e bug.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  ebug1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  ebug2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
usariemen
11 years ago

... and I am a big believer in doing the whole historical correct thing!...

Greg wrote:

I´m sorry but your ´63 and a historical correct thing are a world apart.
No matter what markings may be painted on.
Master of my domaine.
Greg
  • Greg
  • Newbie Topic Starter
11 years ago
Mmmm, dont think you get the plot. I do reenacting. Converting a '63 into a KDF is all part of it. I can wear original uniforms and regalia but it will not make me 'historical' correct because it is the year 2013 but I still look the part!

Historical correctness is meant by not applying Div. markings that never did exist. It will be like having a real period KDF82 painted in red.......! It never happened. A good reenactor does not wear a black SS dress uniform while acting out a period scene that is taking place in 1944 as an example.

I am in Africa...need to understand that we down here must make do with what we can lay our hands on. Aquired a '56 and I will turn that into a KDF aswell. This one is at least a left hand drive with the correct control peddles, so I am getting there.
usariemen
11 years ago
Well, if that car looks close enough for reeinacting.
Then any kind of marking on the outside will do the job as well.
Someone who´s able to tell the marking is wrong will be able to tell that anything else is also.
Master of my domaine.
Greg
  • Greg
  • Newbie Topic Starter
11 years ago
Well the car is not complete as yet but your comments have been duly noted.
Rattletrap
11 years ago
Not so many years ago, many Beetles from the '50s and '60s were lost to customising; Baja Bugs, chop tops and so on.

There is nothing wrong with the desire to own a KdF Wagen, but its a bit of a shame that early Beetles, even as old as Ovals are being cut about into Split Windows.

The one car that can be fairly easily be made to look as a KdF 82E without destroying it is a Standard Model Split Window. This car even has the lovely two panel brown Bakelite KdF style dash, crash box and cable brakes of course. In fact it is the continued production of the KdF wagen civilian car into the early 1950s. It can easily be restored to original again. Yes I know, Standard Splits are rather expensive and almost non-existent in some countries. But its a shame to reduce the Oval and Small Window population, which are now desireable cars for what they actually are.

Sorry about the bucket of cold water over that.:(
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Greg
  • Greg
  • Newbie Topic Starter
11 years ago
Hi Rattletrap.

My '56 will not loose her identity. I hear what you are saying and I agree. I am not cutting anything on her. Converting the oval to a split will be done as such that she can be returned to her former self. The dash will get a removable fibreglass overlay that can be removed. I wont be able to make the dash as original as should be because of the speedo etc. but will be pretty close. Will post pictures on my progress. The main reason why I cannot have a "Historical" correct KDF speaks for itself. I dont have the heart to cut into a classic like that.

Still a couple of ovals running around here in darkest Africa and to try to buy one is pretty pricy to say the least.
Cheers!
Rattletrap
11 years ago

Hi Rattletrap.

My '56 will not loose her identity. I hear what you are saying and I agree. I am not cutting anything on her. Converting the oval to a split will be done as such that she can be returned to her former self. The dash will get a removable fibreglass overlay that can be removed. I wont be able to make the dash as original as should be because of the speedo etc. but will be pretty close. Will post pictures on my progress. The main reason why I cannot have a "Historical" correct KDF speaks for itself. I dont have the heart to cut into a classic like that.

Still a couple of ovals running around here in darkest Africa and to try to buy one is pretty pricy to say the least.
Cheers!

Greg wrote:

Hi Greg.

Good to know that you love you Oval and will care for the car.:smile:

I understand your point, but a lot of the lowering brigade here say their work is reversable, but few cars ever get put back to factory spec I'm afraid.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
nicolass
11 years ago

Hi Greg.

Good to know that you love you Oval and will care for the car.:smile:

I understand your point, but a lot of the lowering brigade here say their work is reversable, but few cars ever get put back to factory spec I'm afraid.

Rattletrap wrote:

Yes you are right they can never put it back to the factory spec.
I have seen it in the past ; from topchop,low cars, fber flipfronts,dirttrack all of these beetles are gone .
They always return to original spec cars look at in the past
What you get is the price from Original spec cars go up in price

I now collect for the future front beams,standard gearbox and engines there is business to do :wink:
pre67vw
11 years ago
https://forums.pre67vw.com/yaf_postst18990_Type-87-in-Hong-Kong.aspx  are hard to tell from an original, but for a re-enactment car I doubt this level of accuracy is needed.

Greg, take a look at https://www.repuestossam.com , he has a lot of parts you might be interested in for very reasonable prices :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Greg
  • Greg
  • Newbie Topic Starter
11 years ago
Hi Rob.
Thanks for the link.
Best wishes
Greg
Rattletrap
11 years ago

Hi Rattletrap.

Cheers!

Greg wrote:

A shame you are so far away Greg.

I have a Standard model Beetle from 1951 that was made up into a KdF Type 82E replica back in 1981 by well known UK vintage VW guru, Bob Shaill. It was the first such Beetle here in the UK. The car certainly looks the part to the non-expert, and of course already had the cable brakes, KdF style (split window, 2 Bakelite panel dash, etc)pre 1953 Standard model body devoid of any chrome or Deluxe trim, and associated holes for such in the body panels, so is unspoiled and easier to put back to stock. It has sat around unused with me for many years now, and is a fairly easy project to get back on the road, which I'm not sure I will actually get to do myself, although I had her running well enough for a 'run around the block' a few years ago. The cable brakes still worked of course!:smile:
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago

A shame you are so far away Greg.

I have a Standard model Beetle from 1951 that was made up into a KdF Type 82E replica back in 1981 by well known UK vintage VW guru, Bob Shaill. It was the first such Beetle here in the UK. The car certainly looks the part to the non-expert, and of course already had the cable brakes, KdF style (split window, 2 Bakelite panel dash, etc)pre 1953 Standard model body devoid of any chrome or Deluxe trim, and associated holes for such in the body panels, so is unspoiled and easier to put back to stock. It has sat around unused with me for many years now, and is a fairly easy project to get back on the road, which I'm not sure I will actually get to do myself, although I had her running well enough for a 'run around the block' a few years ago. The cable brakes still worked of course!:smile:

Rattletrap wrote:

I would love to see this Kdf rep Rattletrap :d Any chance of some photos :roll:

Andy W
Greg
  • Greg
  • Newbie Topic Starter
11 years ago
Hi Rattletrap....geeez, great to know how far back conversion go. If I knew what I wanted now I would most likely have collected over a dozen of these delightfull little cars. Nice photos of your KDF would really be appreciated.

We have got a pretty big airshow coming up in May and a mate and I will have our 'KDF' replicas on display. Will post some pics.

Still sitting with the problem of Divisional marking for the KDF during ww2 in Europe. A lot of reenactors I see have all sort of Div. markings on their KDFs but I still have to come across actual proof of such. Any help out there?
Greg
South Africa.