DarthMJH
9 years ago
Hi,

I am currently restoring my 1960 Beetle and need some rear crossmembers.

https://restorationpanels.com  which again look very good.

UserPostedImage

However I cant find the cross members themselves. I've looked at KlassicFab but they do not produce them either.

Any ideas where I can source some from?

Many thanks

Mike

Mike
1960 Karmann Beetle Convertible
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
andylham
9 years ago

sadly to date there are no correct reproduction 56-60 complete rear cross members.

take a look at my "100% STOCK" 1956 ragtop restoration it shows how I made them myself and may help you.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605718 

:thumbup:
DBKUK
DarthMJH
9 years ago

sadly to date there are no correct reproduction 56-60 complete rear cross members.

take a look at my "100% STOCK" 1956 ragtop restoration it shows how I made them myself and may help you.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605718 

:thumbup:

Originally Posted by: andylham 

I am very impressed, great work !

Mike
Mike
Rich Oakley
9 years ago
Andy's right, but I would suggest buying a pair of Mika's corner repairs (as per you pic/link) is a good starting point to fabricate the rest of the complete panel. Most of the awkward pressings are in that corner piece.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
andylham
9 years ago
no disrespect to mika but there are a few different 56-60 rear cross members his has the hump by the heater tube some don't have this dependent on year and where cars built.the side box section is very brutal kinda like a IGP pressing same goes with the rib the pressing is not clear.

that said,it all depends on your budget and the build your doing and how anal you want to be. :smile:

I forgot to say if your car is a "60 one year only" then that area/pressings are different and has only one bolt hole.
DBKUK
DarthMJH
9 years ago

I forgot to say if your car is a "60 one year only" then that area/pressings are different and has only one bolt hole.

Originally Posted by: andylham 

Correct mine does only have one hole. I was going to weld up the other hole in Mika's.

I will study it more carefully to see what else is different.

Mike
vwhelmot
9 years ago
This is the only way to get a correct year rear crossmember
I bought a pair of correct year body cut members of the samba. The way they had been cut meant I had to find some new ends.

This is how it arrived
UserPostedImage 

I drilled the spot welds out to separate the outer strengthener and I bought a pair of oval era panels from virtanen
UserPostedImage 

I cut the new panel to suit
UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

Metal finished
UserPostedImage 

Now I have the correct width to make a new inner section.
UserPostedImage 

I made a new end
UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

Bead blasted
UserPostedImage 

Plenty of weld through primer and spot weld them together again
UserPostedImage 

Lots of work but if you want a 100% correct shape panel , this is the only way to go.
UserPostedImage