six-o-one
19 years ago
Hello Everyone,
If you were driving a 1950 beetle on a 1000 mile trip, what would you pack into your VW survival kit? (space being at a premium of course!)
:roll:

six-o-one
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
19 years ago
Hi, 601
First:
A VW never brakes down, It just stop running once an a while.

there was even an ad in the 60's : Der Kafer, Der lauft und lauft und lauft und lauft und lauft und lauft ....

like tools :
standard metric wrenches set.
screwdrivers; flat and cross bit.
pliers, vise grip,
36 mm wrench( I have one with metal strip welded on , bend in Z from to reach the generator nut on the backside.
medium hammer
test light with wire clamp.
Jack and wheel wrench.

Spares:
set spark plugs and connectors,
ignition points;
electric wire and clamps,
metal wire , gas cable, clucth cable;
coil; fuel pump,
Fan belt, regulator for generator.
rubber hose fuel resist with clamps,
old cloth wipe to clean things,
Set engine gaskets.
Silicone gasket tube;
Some engine oil
lots of imagination and brains

get an insurance ( it takes no place, and get you home.) I have done it.

Story 1
I was stuck once in Austian Alps 1000 km from home. Iignition was over and in a local store I bought 2.5 meter of cupper ignition wire , used the old clamps and got home.

Story 2
Stuck in the ardennen in Belgium 180 km from home. oil leaking everywhere from the engine?
Dropped it on the floor, dismanteled it until small block left; cleaned everything and noticed small punch in the oilcooler, went to local store, bought soft metal , let it dry in the sun with a coctail, put the engine back together and drove home.

Story..... and I can go on and on and on and on.....

you can put the parts in a box and store them next the battery ( if there is only one in)
It is just how handy you are with tools and stress.

And if you get stuck in Belgium, Call me, I ll get you to the chunnel or boat....just you and other people, O course I ll keep your car 601. :lol:
If you need my nr, mail me .

Greetings, and have a safe and nice trip.
Peter
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Larry
19 years ago
It sounds to me like you need to just take Peter along with you on your trip. 😃

Hey Peter, can you come and live with me? :lol: :lol:

Larry
Enjoy life to the fullest - in a VINTAGE VW
six-o-one
19 years ago
There's not much space in the back, how big is Peter?
:wink:

six-o-one
zelensis
19 years ago

It might work with some heavy straps to tie him down, :roll:

and the same time you have your 6Volt car alarm problem solved. 😛

Bart.
six-o-one
19 years ago
Good thinking! :idea:
Two birds with one Peter :shock:

six-o-one

zelensis61
19 years ago
Hi folks

It looks like I can choose where to go .
601:
I whould not mind to be straped on the back of a h.bm.l.er 😃 It is only 1000 miles or so.
If the wether is good it is Ok to me. otherwise I will pass.

You know, there is a lot of space in a beetle. You just have to find it. :roll:
Take the front seats, under them you can stuff 2 shoeboxes,
take the glove compartiment carboard thing out and you can strech your arm in it. What a space :roll:
Left side an right side of the engine: you can place a bottle of coffee and a tea botle, It stays warm too and for free .
If you dont strap me on the back side, you can strap something else there, like a box with spares....

I even remember my grandfather drove a 70's beetle and he managed to drive home with the car with a bicicle in the front trunk.
Once with a ladder ... tied under the car at front and rear bumper.
He popped out the back window and could take pieces of cupper pipes with the car....
I wonder who's skills I heave herritated....

Larry, Where do you live, sunny california or a colder region.
you have to know that I can eat like a horse and drink like a cow.
And iff I move to your place I'll bring my cars an tools and spares with me. If you pay, no problem but it will take a whole ship , not 1 or 2 containers to move me.

Bart: I have driven my bus and oval all over Europe and was stuck almost in any country I was ... I could tell several more stories but....when , and to who?

You know me and I know you.... We could probably make a new site with tips and tricks , does and dont does, idea's and major mistakes.....We could even ask the TR4 man to help us...
Hey, we have to speak soon.... do you still have webspace left over... :?:

Greetings ,
Peter Mc Gyver
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
zelensis
19 years ago
Peter,

For a moment I thought you where asking at 601 to cut you in pieces and
put them in all the little places you indicated :?
But it would be a hell to reasamble in times of need :roll: so it is better to put some tools and spares il all of thise spaces. :lol:

I ame not so experienced like you in troubleschooting on a beetle, until now I was never stranded on the side of the road with my 70' beetle but was always capabel to limp home and repaire there.

Yes I have some web space over but still strugeling with the lay-out, are you goin to Mol so we coult talk there?

Bart.
heb623
19 years ago
Hello Peter,

When you can wait a little bit longer you can instead of being strapped down in the luguage compartment of Heb601 strech your legs on the passenger seat of Heb623 :wink:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
six-o-one
19 years ago
...In the pasenger seat, on the back of a trailer, on 24th June!

:wink:

six-o-one
heb623
19 years ago
Hehe!!! 😶
Anyway better than being straped down! :lol:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
Larry
19 years ago
Peter,

:( I live where it gets cold and dreary in the winter, but not as bad as it gets where John (if you read this) lives. I don't have any horses or cows :lol: :lol: so you would starve to death here.

Larry
Enjoy life to the fullest - in a VINTAGE VW