pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
18 years ago
Trying to change the exhaust on a mates bug yesterday, no idea what year the engine is (looks like a 70's engine), but the exhaust is a single hot spot (left side). So he bought a new one from Euro car parts, we take the old one off but the new one doesn't fit. The new Exhaust is about 1/2 inch wider at the top where it bolts onto the head, and also the bottom where it bolts onto the heat exchanger.

So then, I thought I'd try to fit the old exhaust from my '65. Same thing, thats 1/2 wider also (I know it fits my '65 1200). We took the exhaust back to Euro and the guy tried out a couple other exhausts and they're all 1/2 wider than the one we need.

Any idea what's going on? Does he have a bus engine in his bug or something? What engine is narrower than a standard type 1 engine?

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
simonhanloncole
18 years ago
Only the 1200 bugs have smalleer exhausts did you compare a 1300/1600 exhaust and a 1200, the 1200 is much smaller. Maybe a silly question but are you sure the 65 1200 exhaust is actually a 1200. Sound like your mate has a 1200cc engine.
Simon
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
18 years ago
Simon, I think you might be spot on there. It turns out that my engine is an F (1300) when I thought it was a 1200, and the car with the exhaust problem is a D (1200) and he thought it was a 1300. :?

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
simonhanloncole
18 years ago
See if more folk used this forum then they would get their queries answered, if your reading this give us a wave!!
Simon
Jules
17 years ago

Simon, I think you might be spot on there.

"pre67vw" wrote:

Simon is definately spot on there!
It is hard to spot though as the difference in width is only ½"