mrsherbie
17 years ago

58 standard 

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
48REME
17 years ago
Yes, I nearly bought that one just over a year ago.
A total restoration by Lenny Copp was needed on this 1958 which originally comes from Germany.
I think it's left California and now lives in Arizona.
It seems it was briefly for sale again on the Samba just a couple of months ago. Don't know what happened to it...Is this pic from a recent 'for sale' advert you've uncovered?
Yes, I really am trying to track down the whereabouts of most SWS (square window standards)! 😃
six-o-one
17 years ago
If you follow the link, it's on a company register of vehicles available for hire for film shoots. 😎

Malc
six-o-one
17 years ago

I'm concidering to part it to donate some parts for the other project... :wink:

"Hebster52" wrote:

If you do decide to split it for parts, I'd be interested in the door and rear side cards if they are in good condition.

Malc
pre67vw
17 years ago
62 Standard on eBay:

https://cgi.ebay.de/Raritaet-Standart-Kaefer 

9441.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
17 years ago
What a great car...Makes me wonder once again what to do with my bumpers, internal and external handles: should I have them in Reseda Green just like they had all the stuff in Reed Green on that 62? Or because mine is a special case, should I just go along with the usual L226 Silver Grey they used on the Jupiter Grey cars? I can understand that they allocated a certain number of handles to be painted in either Silver Grey or Reed Green because these were the only colours available for Standards from 59 to 63.
But would they really have specially painted the bumpers and stuff in Reseda as a one-off?
So what exactly are you supposed to do with a car that was ordered in a special colour (like Reseda)?
Any opinions and suggestions most welcome...:o
dp
  • dp
  • Regular
16 years ago
Not mine and don't know the seller, but it caught my eye - might just go to a good home if I post it on here.

https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=389664 
six-o-one
16 years ago
I tried to email the seller about the car a while back but never got a reply...

:roll: :?
pre67vw
16 years ago

"six-o-one" wrote:

Surely you're not planning on getting another one?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Chris
16 years ago
Try texting him. I just text him asking if it's still for sale, he replied very quickly saying it was. Be quick if you're interested, remember... If you snooze, you lose :roll:
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
six-o-one
16 years ago

"pre67vw" wrote:

Surely you're not planning on getting another one?

"six-o-one" wrote:

Trying to get parts to rescue one rhd big window standard is hard enough! :wink:
15 years ago

I had a 1953 RHD Standard back in the late '70s, the real thing, grey and VERY basic, like the 56 I have now. It was registered here from new and came in with the first batch of VWs for the UK that year (945 units - nearly all deluxes).

It even had the original (dated 1953!) log book. Registration LOW 514, which still checks out at the DVLA registration site. If it the car still exists, who has it now, I would love to know :!:

I also know of a really nice '54 stored away. 8)

The UK RHD Standard Oval is so rare, tops I would estimate that no more than half a dozen still exist. Even rarer the UK RHD rectangular window variety of the REAL Standard model.

Standard split wrote:

HELLO!

I own LOW514 now!

Do you have any old photos or info on it please?
www.vwoval.co.uk
15 years ago
Hey Standard split ... any thoughts?
www.vwoval.co.uk
VW Stan
15 years ago

Hey Standard split ... any thoughts?

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

John seems to be a bit slow catching on to this one! :wink:

You may have more luck with an email or PM :d
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Standard split
15 years ago

HELLO!

I own LOW514 now!

Do you have any old photos or info on it please?

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

I brought my first two Beetles in 1977, 1951 Standard Split 349 GMO and a 1953 Standard Oval LOW 514.

I've managed to get 349 GMO back…:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
15 years ago
Excelent..

Whats the story? How long did you own it? Why did you sell it? where did is come from? where did it go? Was it you that added all the brazed repairs?

Any photos?

Sorry for all the questions but all or any history would be great!

Thanks!

He looks like this now...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

pics were taken a couple of months ago after I bought him in Watford. Aparantly been off the road since 1985.
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
15 years ago
Wow, this brings back memories. Haven't seen LOW in 30 years :shock:

Shame its in pieces, feel a little sad in seeing an old friend in such a way:(

Hope that the wings etc are still with it. The grey paint looks different – lighter, has it had a repaint :?: It was in the original paint, Jupiter Grey back when I owned it.

I sold LOW in the summer of '78, I was a student then and money a bit scarce. I hung-on to GMO a little longer but had to let that go eventually, but as I said now have it back with me :d :d :d

I paid £170 for LOW with tax and MOT, and sold it to a man in Carlshalton. It had the buff log book with it from 1953. I def did not do the brazed repairs:!:

I'll have a dig round over the weekend and see it there are any traces of LOW around my place after a 30-year absence :!:

Should you ever decide to sell LOW please let me know. The sentiment of the car to me exceeds its value even as a rare Standard :wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
15 years ago
Hello

I have some paper work includung the original log book!

Yes, it was striped down by the last owner Chris... he had bought it as a complete car in December 2003 ... striped it and left it in a garage in Watford... lost the glass and the wings :roll:

The previous owner from Chesham got it in march 2003 (Gordon)

The guy he had it from (Dave from Huntingdon) got it in Dec 1984 and it appears to have been off the road since December 1985 ... Dave paid £300 for it.

he got it from Antony who was from St albans...

no records before that :(

There is a Pass for the car to get into RAF WYTON dated 1985 so it was definitelly used till then!

And I just found a 1978 expiry Tax Disc from Norfolk in bought in 1977! It says 4 months... did they used to do short time discs? I assume that you bought that Disc?

Anyway, I intend to get him back on the road, so you will see him around, I have a que of people who want to buy him and or his number plate! But he is staying with my collection of '53s!

Any records or photos or anything you can tell me would be great, I love to know a cars history!

Thanks
www.vwoval.co.uk
15 years ago
Any Idea what engine he had back then?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
www.vwoval.co.uk
Standard split
14 years ago
The car was very original, including the engine and yes, I bought that tax disc 😮

Shame so much of the car has been lost – no excuse for this :evil: This puts a bit of a downer on the car for me :cry:

I'd still be very interested in having it back now or some day though. and you can be sure I'll give you more that anyone else – maybe do you a deal on an earlier car – these cars are generally not for sale, I've owned them all for years :wink:

Don't paint or refurb the interior or let some vulture have the registration :twisted:

Why's this under a big-window thread:?: