2splits
16 years ago
I'm a little bit surprised too.

But, I can kind of tell from the ad, that there are some details that are not quite there that perhaps folks are skiddish on. For example, the carpet on the tunnel looks very puffy, not many pictures of the condition of the top, and the headliner, stuff like that.

Great looking car, but for that kind of money, i gotta think people want loads of pics. Plus, at this point the car has been for sale for a long time, and the price keeps dropped, so maybe folks who were originally not in the market at $90K+ now think there is something wrong with it given the big drop in price and no interest.

just my opinion.
Kevin

-51 Split Rag
-58 Ghia Cab with Okrasa
-57 356
'50 Karmann
16 years ago

there are some details that are not quite there that perhaps folks are skiddish on. For example, the carpet on the tunnel looks very puffy, not many pictures of the condition of the top, and the headliner, stuff like that.

"2splits" wrote:

I agree with Kevin.
Also the brushed alloy engine surround,first time i saw the finished pictures i thought - and what's under there.
The car looks beautiful,but when spending so much,nobody want's any hidden surprises.
Good Luck with the sale.
overrestored
16 years ago
so the Euro buys $1.48 today... and is on it's way to 1.50
the pound buys 2.06 dollars

so at US$1.50

us$69,000 = euros....46,000
us$69,000 = pounds... 33,449

pretty cheap for you guys in the UK and Europe. I haven't seriously checked out this car... but I have seen it now. It is not concours perfect (remember I am the "overrestored" guy) ... but it is nice. With a bit of attention it would be really nice. All the hard parts are there... and all the hard work is done. There are a lot of nice bits too.

I am guessing that the dollar may be nearing it's bottom against the Pound... UK inflation figures are rising... and I bet we start raising our prime rate here in the states late next year....And I am also betting that the Euro only has another 5% in it before that time.. and I bet that the European central banks start lowering their interest rates next year.

This time next year we'll see an entirely different set of figures... and I doubt they will be as favorable to you guys. The time is now to buy US cars I would bet...

USA demographics suggest that within the next few years a HUGE group of "baby Boomers" are going to begin to retire... and you all know what guys do when they retire... they buy cars and fix them up. Usually the cars that they wanted when they were kids. So desireable cars are going to rise in US dollar terms over the next few years...

Now is the time to buy the old car you want I think... I don't care what continent you are on.

Anyway... Randy's Lawrence looks pretty cheap when I look at it from your currency's perspective.

protect me from what I want
oldbug.com
16 years ago
The car is NOT perfect, this I will openly admit to, but there are no hidden issues that I am aware of. The carpet has couple of wrinkles, but the chassis is excellent. The aluminum trim panels in the engine compartment I figured were a better choice than the upholstered panels that would have gone there from a visual standpoint.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with Eric's ar being a 10, I would say this car is a very conservative 8 if not a little higher.

The top does need some fittment work...it is simply too tight. I had plans on just having it redone completely but figured I would wait until someone bit on it and then take care of it or discount the price to compensate. I never took detailed photos of the top for this reason. I think this is the biggest issue with the car. Take care of the top and a couple of the tiny details and the car would be a 9 pretty easy.

With the unrestored basket case coupe selling for $45K earlier this year and another unrestored basketcase 58 Cabrio with some pretty stout body damage on the market for around $35K (ish) I would think that there would be little issue in moving the car, especially at the current price which is pretty darn cheap. The Okrasa engine is freshly rebuilt, the chassis is fully detailed and restored, fresh whitewalls, full fresh interior, fresh chrome and paint, great colors, etc... Im just at a loss as to why nobody has stepped up.

Have you priced an Okrasa rebuild these days?

A full feature in Volksworld is coming up soon...hopefully that will help.

I do agree with Eric on the currency situation...the dollar has never been so weak against the Euro and the Pound... it's simply amazing. It wont last forever like this.

Maybe I need to lower it really low and bolt on some Fuch's alloys... Im sure I could trade that Okrasa for a 2 liter with 48ida Webers...then the thing would sell for $100K!
Tina
16 years ago
such nice cars and no customers, VERY SAD !
Strange people, strange cars, US Ghost Towns (Ruby and Bodie)
Robinson 22 and 44, Pappelen u. Jelände 911er