Old Blue
12 years ago

but where is the 58,is it in essex????

:rofl:

69project wrote:

Its nowhere now, the guy that bought it has broken it up to fix up an oval body that he's going to fit on the 1958 chassis.:(
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Old Blue
12 years ago

Sounds like U.S Spec,if so will never of had semaphores fitted.

GKL 7 wrote:

We've a chance of the semi pillars from the 58 body, and are considering having them welded into this car. Distubing the headliner on the door pillars will be a problem, its original and good being from a dry climate.

And no he's not parting out anything else off it:!:
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Old Blue
12 years ago
Some one's got a bargain here, has to be worth at least £5k.:?
Just shows what can be found on the web.
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/160606707449?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3902.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D160606707449%26_sacat%3D9800%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1 

64rotbox
12 years ago
£3500 seems just about plausible to me, considering you can't see what it's like underneath or in the other important areas from the photos. I certainly wouldn't consider blowing £5000 on it.
You can call me Al.
Old Blue
12 years ago
Here's an interesting senario. The semis are now fitted and operating on our ex USA oval. We went to get the MOT and it failed - on idicators!

We'd let on that we'd retro fitted the semis as it was a US Beetle which never had semis unlike the European 1950s VWs. The guy said they were not therefore legal as it hadn't had them from new. He would not except the original flashing indicators either as they were USA spec flasing red at the back and white at the front and never legal here. So we've now had to fit orange winkers to the car. It now has 3 different types of direction indicators :shock:

kdf38
12 years ago
IMO, I think he's wrong to fail it if 1960 Beetles in the UK originally had semis.
It shouldn't matter whether the car itself originally had them or they were added
as the same year UK oval did have them. :?

Here's an interesting senario. The semis are now fitted and operating on our ex USA oval. We went to get the MOT and it failed - on idicators!

We'd let on that we'd retro fitted the semis as it was a US Beetle which never had semis unlike the European 1950s VWs. The guy said they were not therefore legal as it hadn't had them from new. He would not except the original flashing indicators either as they were USA spec flasing red at the back and white at the front and never legal here. So we've now had to fit orange winkers to the car. It now has 3 different types of direction indicators :shock:

Old Blue wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
pre67vw
12 years ago

IMO, I think he's wrong to fail it if 1960 Beetles in the UK originally had semis.
It shouldn't matter whether the car itself originally had them or they were added
as the same year UK oval did have them. :?

kdf38 wrote:

I think the MOT guy is probably right about the semaphores if they've been retro fitted (lesson here is not to tell the MOT man) but I think due to it's age the red/White indicators should have passed. I don't think I'd have fit a 3rd set if indicators, I'd have gone with new orange lenses for MOT day.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Not sure hear but arnt the MOT regulations on line for all to see? may be worth a look

Andy W

Look on ukmot.com :d
Old Blue
12 years ago

I think the MOT guy is probably right about the semaphores if they've been retro fitted (lesson here is not to tell the MOT man) but I think due to it's age the red/White indicators should have passed. I don't think I'd have fit a 3rd set if indicators, I'd have gone with new orange lenses for MOT day.

pre67vw wrote:

Its not such a big deal because we can drive using the semaphores anyway with the advantage of flashing signals for those dangerous right turns, remember our oval is a left hander.

As for red and white flashers, a pal has a 1960 Beetle here from new with these indicators and its never had semis. Like our oval it has the 'snow flake' rear lamps but with the extra bulb for a flashing signal. This passes the MOT as is. A guy up the road has a 1959 Minor, this also has these indicators and no semis and passes the MOT. 1959/60 seem to be change over years regarding indicators.