pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
10 years ago
Every now and again I like to ask people what direction they would like to see pre67vw go, what things are liked or disliked and generally what would improve the site and attract new people. So as it's been quiet around here lately, I thought I'd ask again. :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
10 years ago
I did vote to allow post '67 stock VWs but I don't know how you would get around the name of the site. Perhaps just add a plus sign i.e. Pre67VW+

I'm sure there are a lot of visitors with post 67 VWs who would like to take part but it's an age old thing...how to turn lurkers into posters.
John.
chrisbug91
10 years ago
I think allowing post 67 stock VW's would be a good thing. I know it would make me more of a contributor than a lurker. I don't feel there is a specific online community targeted towards all stock VW's.

I don't think the name is such an issue as there is already a Porsche 356 section after all and pre 67 VW's will always be the main topic of discussion on this forum anyway but it would be nice for those who have an interest in all stock VW's (I suspect most on here) to contribute.

Thanks for the great site.

Chris :beer:
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
I put leave as is but the site is Pre 67 so rely it should be up to 66 only :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Andy W
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
I'm for post 67 stockers too. The more like minded stock people you can get on board the better. Where else is there for that?
I wouldn't worry about the name either. Thesamba isn't only about busses with too many windows after all.

More old speed would be cool and coachbuilt is always good, but there are only a certain number of those cars and they aren't making (m)any new ones.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Rattletrap
10 years ago
I used to think 'leave as is'.

However, I dared to post some images of my '71 that I was doing some jobs on, which although relevant to a point on the particular thread, were removed and gives the impression of hostility towards 12volt models.

Also I have found going 'back' to messing with later Beetles, its as enjoyable as doing with older cars, in fact more so as there is not the silly amounts of money involved. Its like the hobby with split and oval windows used to be like in the 1970s - early '80s.

So I think its time to try out a post '67 section. What's the harm, if it runs riot it can be withdrawn and deleted.:wink:

BUT ONLY STOCK:!:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
10 years ago

However, I dared to post some images of my '71 that I was doing some jobs on, which although relevant to a point on the particular thread, were removed and gives the impression of hostility towards 12volt models.

Originally Posted by: Rattletrap 

Even *if* there is a post 67 section, you still won't be able to post about your '71 in a pre '53 thread.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
We talked about adding a post 67 section often enough. Why not just try it? What´s the worst that can happen?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
karlito
10 years ago
I voted for post 67's too.
I personally think a 68 is a pleasing as a 67 so why have a cutoff?
As long as its stock and cared for surely that's all that matters...
Rattletrap
10 years ago

Even *if* there is a post 67 section, you still won't be able to post about your '71 in a pre '53 thread.

Originally Posted by: pre67vw 

Of course Rob. But the post in question was to show how well an abandoned in the garden Beetle can survive, and still be saved and put back on the road rather than originally being crushed. That was a point being made under that thread, and was illustrated with my 1971 Beetle just as well as it would have been illustrated with my 1950 Beetle. Same basic cars both the same shape with same rot and dirt traps. The Beetle's year of manufacture was not a defining issue.

I'd gone to a lot of trouble pulling the car from its long-resting place, cleaning it down and taking the pictures to post so as to illustrate my arguement wth those who proclaimed certain death for such a 'neglected; Beetle. So. I'm sure that you can understand the feeling when I found it deleted.

Elsewhere on the forum, someone posted a large image of an Austin Allegro to illustrate their point, yet the picture of that total non-Beetle remains:?
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rattletrap
10 years ago

We talked about adding a post 67 section often enough. Why not just try it? What´s the worst that can happen?

Originally Posted by: JD 

I agree, the poll on this subject is becoming an annual event.
Old Blue
10 years ago
23 votes so far indicates how few are using the site.

Most that own 1968 on cars are likely to be lurkers as they are called. If you just own a '68 on Beetle, there's no real incentive to register as a member, (you know anything you post about your car will be deleted) so you can't vote as you are not registered. So the site stays pre67 and slowly dies.

There's less fuss made with the Scottish vote on devolution!
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
GKL 7
10 years ago

23 votes so far indicates how few are using the site.

Most that own 1968 on cars are likely to be lurkers as they are called. If you just own a '68 on Beetle, there's no real incentive to register as a member, (you know anything you post about your car will be deleted) so you can't vote as you are not registered. So the site stays pre67 and slowly dies.

There's less fuss made with the Scottish vote on devolution!

Originally Posted by: Old Blue 

Poor attitude.
Someones working hard to bring this site to you.
If this site goes post '67,my fear is, fools like you will take over.

ianmac
10 years ago
I think the site is great and full credit to Rob to keeping it going. I quite like the daft contributions made by old blue and the ramblings of rattletrap with his 'triggers broom' zwitter.

Let's not get into post 67 vws as we all know they are rubbish and quite frankly that is a downward spiral which will only end eventually with demands from old blue to introduce a section for 'morris minors', at this point we might as well all give up and commit suicide.

Keep it as is :beer:
1974dudley
10 years ago
I enjoy the site as it is however I feel more variety would be good for the site. I have two 52 cars, a 63 and a 67 and a 66 split. I have also my first car a 72 which I've owned for 21 years and use more regularly than the others and a 76 panel van which I also use on a regular basis. I assume that there are others in the same situation as myself who use this site among others on a regular basis to gain advice and search for much needed parts to keep their fleet on the road. If the site decides to add post 67 cars to the fold I will personally still use the site but I think that it should only include cars not later than 1979 as technically these are now included in the historic VW fold anyhow. I think that this will encourage more traffic to the site given the ever increasing popularity of the the bay and will allow fleetline split and late karmann cab owners to become involved. It will also bring in the type three and 411 owners and so on. Cal look, german look and resto cal would still appeal to me however I would prefer these to be placed into their respective sections. Pre 79 vw? I think that if it happens the line has to be drawn somewhere as there is quite a difference between mexi bugs and bays and watercooled golfs and audis and k70s etc. I love all the 6 volt cars and vans but feel that there is a place for the later model historic enthusiast at this site. We might even convert a few more over to the early side or get a lead on an early car or bus from new members . After all it was a 1972 that all started it off for me.
WayneMcCarthy
10 years ago
I Love The Site As Is & Really Appreciate , Thank Rob !
"Mr Stock"
Rattletrap
10 years ago

I think the site is great and full credit to Rob to keeping it going. I quite like the daft contributions made by old blue and the ramblings of rattletrap with his 'triggers broom' zwitter.

Originally Posted by: ianmac 

Thanks for that:beer:

I do know that while some here bemoan my thread with catcalls of 'Rattlecrap', I know that there are those here that do enjoy the thread. And yes, of course some of my postings there are tongue-in-cheek, and also meant to be light-hearted fun. But there is a more serious side to the whole Rattletrap story. It's looking like being an interesting year for Rattletrap, plus there is the historian researching the car's story from day one to now. The guy is going to great pains on doing this, including travelling around the country to meet certain individuals.

I'll have lots more posts both fun and real to make, but I can only really do this if the thread is not locked. I know that Rob keeps it locked in response to calls from the likes of GKL7 and OldBlue to lock it. The problem though I'm posting to myself, as I am not getting response and feedback from members because the thread is locked.:smile:
Jollychuffy
10 years ago
In response to your survey question, Rob, I can't better the Billy Joel lyrics "Don't go changing to try to please me.............. I take you just the way you are " Thanks for your efforts ! John
brille52
10 years ago
I also love the site as it is - Thanks Rob for the good job :thumbup:

a
10 years ago
I voted for allowing later air cooled cars in. But only Stock cars. I now have a few... and the early 70's cars are lovley to drive and get a lot of public attention when out and about... they are over 40 years old now..

You wouldnt have to look at them if you didnt want to!

This is my 1972 Stocker.. 50000 miles from new..

UserPostedImage

And we are rebuilding this 1972, its been off the road since 1997 and had2 owner from - its for my wife to use..

UserPostedImage

www.vwoval.co.uk